Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

For Peggy....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For Peggy....

To be fair for those of you who are maybe a wee bit apprehensive about the storm to come that is called preteen/tween:

I'm sure that Luanne and Kris would agree that there are moments with a tweener that are nice and fun. Kate does tell me stuff, and she wants me to know all about her "crushes" and her friends. It's not all bad! I like to talk to her now about sex, drugs, etc because she really listens and seems to be open to my opinions. She also always wants to play a game, or to watch a movie. She's not too busy to hang out with me. I also like to tell her about her physiological changes (Wonder of Girls book is helpful here) and to empathize (yes, it is hard to grow up and deal with amazing hormonal surges). These are good relationship building years-- but they are also draining like I never ever expected. It is like living with a hurricane sometimes. OK- maybe that's not very reassuring, but...

Anyway...

It is really hard to let natural consequences come when it's something like homework. I do let her have natural consequences of a dirty room for the most part--- a major one last year was that she didn't get her clothes into the laundry--- she had a pile of dirty clothes in her room at all times. She didn't like it much when she ran out of underwear ( I know, ick) and so had to use some of Isabel's.... A natural consequence which means.... the laundry now is in the hampers in a timely fashion...

As far as the math stuff, well... If I let her just fall more and more behind she's going to have to retake this class next year and it will screw up the rest of her life! Not really, it will just prolong the agony. The trick is to get her to do the homework, to struggle thru a bit, and then to eventually via repetition and practice "get" it. I am not planning to help her with math for 2 hours a night (where I take verbal abuse for 1.5 of those hours...) for the rest of her career. But hopefully the work ethic will eek in there if she knows she's not getting away with it. (Think of breaking a wild stallion here...)

*Sigh* *Big Sigh*...
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Peggy, there are a lot of fun moments (but thank gawd we can also be honest with each other about the hard stuff). I'm sure the parents of tweens-to-be though are doing what we were a few years ago.....shaking their heads at our posts and thinking "clearly, the product of poor parenting". Don't you love karma, Peggy? Man has it come and bitten me in the behind. I have a friend who is a year ahead of me with the tween stuff and as these same issues cropped up for her I sadly wasn't the queen of empathy. I'm paying the price....in spades!

I think the pre-algebra does have to be a non-negotiable, Peggy....and enforcing it is also a tough thing for me as well. Maybe part of the problem is that Kate isn't understanding what she is doing and so she is avoiding it? I don't know...I have gotten to a point where I have to be nazi mom with Amanda and her math work because she will be dishonest with me about having completed the homework. Her blasted planner does come in handy for that because I check her problems against the assignment every night now before I will sign.

The really wonderful thing about Amanda now is that you can really talk to her about things and she is so helpful with Zoe and Aidan.

Hurricane...that is an awesome description!

Kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
        Don't let others make you do or feel what you think isn't OK. Only you and your teen can work through this together. I know that there were some moms who probably thought (and still do I'm sure) that I was crazy. There were the ones who shunned me because I (GASP) got divorved. Can I just say that I can think of one who treated me like crap for my choices, and my kids are A-OK and hers are shall we say, NOT.
        Luanne, Thanks for that. The farther I get along in this parenting process the more I have to remind myself of that. It is terrible that you were judged after our divorce. People will treat us like crap for any choices....if you had stayed married they probably would have been negative about the marriage. Sometimes it feels like it is lose/lose. My mom went through that with her own marriage and after all was said and done, somehow she feels like she lost on both fronts.....1. because she stayed in a bad marriage and 2. because she eventually got a divorce and hasn't remarried.

Keep telling me that my kids will be A-OK. I need the :therethere:

kris
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
          Peggy, there are a lot of fun moments (but thank gawd we can also be honest with each other about the hard stuff). I'm sure the parents of tweens-to-be though are doing what we were a few years ago.....shaking their heads at our posts and thinking "clearly, the product of poor parenting". Don't you love karma, Peggy? Kris
          yes.... my sister, whose oldest is about 4 yrs younger than Kate, has been giving me advice for a long time... I can not wait.

:>
          Peggy

Comment

Originally posted by house elf
            Peggy, I just have to interject and say that I love your candor in your blog and on this site about "parenting in the trenches". (Luanne and Kris already know that I adore them). Anyway, I live for you blog (although I do feel my anxieties tweaking after hearing the three of you talk. )

Kelly
            Thank you! You just made my day! (probably even my year!)
            Peggy

Comment

Working...
            X