Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Tales of buyer's remorse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales of buyer's remorse

Shit. I am sitting on my new sectional sofa, and I hate it. We custom ordered this sofa a month and a half ago with a dark brown leather. Here it is in my living room, and it looks black. I am so sad. I don't know what to do. I really, really, really hate it. I can't return it. Sigh. I could probably have it reupholstered for a lot of extra $$$ and time. Damnit. I am so upset with myself. It looked like a nice dark brown in the store. In my house it looks like cheesy, black, leather.

WWYD?

The corner is coming later. They had the wrong piece on the truck, but I think I'll post a picture.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bet if you accent it with a warm color (a deep red or dark orange) it will bring out the brown in it. I don't think it looks black, but a really dark brown.
      Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
        I bet if you accent it with a warm color (a deep red or dark orange) it will bring out the brown in it. I don't think it looks black, but a really dark brown.
        Kris, I tried grabbing some red pillow from the other room, and it doesn't help. It kind of looks worse.

Comment

I agree with Kris, add some rich, warm colors.

ETA: oops, too slow, I see you already tried!
          I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I agree Heidi, it looks black (sorry). Would it look better in another room of the house? Is there a bonus room or game room that you could use it in? Does the couch match the swatch you were shown before you ordered? Maybe that would give you a little leverage for a return or at least a reorder?
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

First of all, are you sure it's the color you picked? I think I would go somewhere with many different kinds of pillows (like a Pier1 or World Market). Play around and see what colors make it most like the color you were going for. Return the additional pillows. Then, you could add a rug or other accent pieces in that same color. Also, if you add lamps close to it, does it look more brown? Those are really the only options I can think of.
              -Deb
              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I'd double check the order because that does not look deep brown, it looks black. Flat black in fact.

Maybe they screwed up. It happens.

J.

Comment

It looks black to me too. It could be because you have so much light colors in the room. If you add a warm throw rug & more warm colors in the room it may fit in better.

You could also complain & tell them that they got the color wrong & see what they offer. Maybe they delivered you the wrong one.
                  Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

If you have the original swatch, check the color and hope they made a mistake. It definitely looks more like black than brown . Worst case scenario....sell it. Sorry, but i know it would drive me crazy every time I would walk by it.
                    Danielle
                    Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Yes, it matches. I checked. The little square I have matches, but big like it is in that room, it doesn't look like I pictured.

Comment

Totally sucks. I would say it's not the lighting - old sofa: brown, new sofa: not. I have no suggestions...but just a hug!
                        Jen
                        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

In Home Goods, and the damned swatch looks brown!!!! Gah!!!!

Comment

That's good. It means that you can try to work with it to bring out the brown. If you can't make it look that way on your own, I would bring in a decorator to help before getting rid of a brand new couch.
                            -Deb
                            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

What sort of lightbulbs do you have? Maybe if you switch to those new coiled types it will look more brown--they tend to be a white light. I only know this because the yellow in my parent's gameroom turned a sickening greenish color when they switched to those lightbulbs
                              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X