Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I'm sugar's bitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sugar's bitch

And attempting to reverse that relationship. During the corporate weight-loss program I participated in, it became very clear that I have a severe addiction to sugar and it is usually what triggers an overeating binge. I committed to cutting it out of my diet for awhile, but wanted to wait after the holidays (since that seems like it would be beating my head against a wall) and I'm starting tomorrow and going until January 30th.

I'm getting rid of all artificial sweeteners (except Stevia)...it seems I am also Diet Coke's bitch as well--even though it gives me awful headaches. White flour, fruit juice, and anything with corn syrup as a main ingredient is going too. Fruit, protein shakes, and occasional clif bars are okay. I bought a bunch of fruit, veggies, quinoa, etc. today.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has done this or something similar? Even when I restrict sugar I notice a huge difference in how I feel and how much I crave it, so I'm hoping for some positive results after the withdrawal ends...
    Last edited by SoonerTexan; 12-29-2010, 11:12 PM.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

If you are sugar's bitch, then I am salt's bitch!!! My weakness is anything salty and greasy. Chips and salsa can trip me up at any time. I'll take the plunge and join you for a January detox.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Wahoo! Cassy, I'm eating greek yogurt as I type
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Good luck! I started paying attention to my sugar intake when I searching for migraine triggers, and I realized how much better I felt in general when I cut back. I don't deprive myself of little treats from time to time, but there is a lot of unnecessary sugar lurking out there. It really does get easier to resist once it gets out of your system. My brain learned to associate candy and cookies with feeling sluggish and gross.

Comment

Hello, my name is Wendy and I, too, used to be sugar's bitch.

I started really reading labels a couple years ago and was appalled at how much sugar I was unknowingly consuming. It was in damn near everything. I refuse to purchase anything with chemically engineered sweeteners, anymore. I won't lie, it was rough for a while. I like my coffee a little sweet, so I had to find something that worked. (Thank you, agave nectar.)

Now the kids are accustomed to it not being the house. DH -- not so much. He is always asking me to pick up snacky stuff for him. I think I've got him stuck on the Kashi breakfast bars and Greek yogurt for his sweet tooth. The kids have probably been the best about it.

Comment

My family left LOTS of sugary leftovers, and I've reached my sugar binge saturation level - blech! Yep, I feel gross.

Originally posted by Cassy
            Yogurt/kefir help me kick sugar. There are theories that sugar addiction is caused by yeast in the gut, so the idea is that probiotics kicks the yeast.
            Awesome. I'm officially going on a yogurt & frozen berries diet.

Comment

Me! Me! Me!

I have four diabetics in my family alone so for me, I absolutely MUST detox. I'm going on a modified Self Challenge for 21 days and sugar is my number one thing to cut out. My husband jokes that I eat all veggies and sugar. It is so true!
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

My husband jokes that I eat all veggies and sugar.
                Yes! Carbs, salt, etc. aren't even that big of a deal for me--I very rarely even eat bread. But oh the sugar! I'll go all day eating cottage cheese for breakfast, salad for lunch, and then go on a sugar rampage when I get home

Comment

Originally posted by Cassy
                  Careful with the frozen berries, often sugar is added to them!
                  Yes! I check for sugar on everything (mostly to avoid the artificial sweeteners, but also to avoid sugar on fruit products).

Comment

I am so with all of you. I definately need to have better control of what I eat. My mom is joining weight watchers (again) and I am going to ride on her coat tails. (There is no way I can afford a membership right now.) It is really hard when the kids have entirely different dietary needs than the adults in the house. Here's hoping that I can drop the 10-15 pounds that I still have to lose to get back to my pre-Sophie weight.
                    Kris

Comment

I definitely need to make some huge dietary changes in my life.
                      I drink A LOT of tea, but I like it sweetened & I don't know what I can put in it that will not alter the taste.
                      I need to change a lot about my diet (as well as exercise) but I think sugar is number one.

Comment

I just downloaded mynetdiary. It's pretty amazing for tracking your daily caloric intakes. I've set a goal to lose 20 by mid may. It's a fun app. I'm sure there are other apps out there that people are using that are good too. Tracking your calories is just more fun with an app.
                        -Ladybug

Comment

Amber--you can try Stevia. I actually like it, but some people cant stand the taste.

Comment

I can't get on board the Stevia train. To me, it's too bitter -- like the aspartame sweeteners.

Comment

I have to wonder if it is one of those foods with a chemical some people can taste and some cant. To me, there is nothing bitter about it. I think bell peppers are horribly bitter, while everyone else says the are nice and sweet--weird.

Comment

Working...
                              X