Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Let's do it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's do it!

Hey all-

I think it would be 1) a great way to support Kris through her journey, 2) a great way for us to bond as a group and 3) an excuse for a mini-vacation for all of us-

if we signed up to do a Team in Training event.

http://www.teamintraining.org/hm_tnt

I just contacted my local group to get started. There are some things you all should know if you've never done this kind of event:

1) They give you awesome support
    2) It's a huge pain to raise the money, but I think we have an incredible network here that could help
    3) the travel expenses are typically included so that's not a problem

They'll support walkers AND runners and they'll need volunteers. and we'll need athletic supporters to cheer us on.

There's a marathon in Anchorage in June that seems to be doable.

Anyone else up for a T in T/iMSN 'meeting'?

Jenn

PS- Think of it this way, every step we take in training is easier than the steps that Kris is taking.

Yes, but in Anchorage? Seriously?

As I am not in the best athletic shape, I shall be the athletic supporter. Just take showers first, please.

I don't know if I shall support from Anchorage (seriously, Anchorage?), but I shall support in any way that I can.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Heidi-

the nice thing about the Anchorage site, is that it's the furthest out- time wise- as of now. they used to do the New Orleans Marathon but I'm not so sure that's such a great place to run these days.

I'd be up for anything- I did the one in Dublin, Ireland and it was really fun.

(and in no way do you need to be in excellent shape! I got passed by grannies weighing a LOT more than I do! It's almost as much mental training as it is physical training.)

We can see what other events they have coming up in the later summer and fall months, too.

Jenn

Comment

I'd be willing - but I'd probably need a walkers option or I could do a biking event. A running marathon is not in my immediate future. I checked out the web site - it has some great options. I don't understand how the Team in Training stuff works, though. I've never been involved in one. What kind of money are we talking? This contributes to the lymphoma research funds? Is it a "good" charity - in terms of percentages given to research, etc.?

Edit to add: Some more "popular" destinations might be the Salisbury MD century (DC - but not a great destination for you, Jenn ) and the WDW triathalon/marathon. Although I guess if they provide travel expenses it only costs *time* to the participants no matter where you end up. I would be a great way to get iMSN members together, get fit and do some good for lymphoma research.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I am willing to do one, but I can't do June 2006 (baby due 6-27-06). I think it would be a great way to support Kris, and if I have to add it is a great way to meet new people locally. I met one of my dearest friends doing Team In Training back in 97. We are still running buddies. So I guess if everybody moves forward with that date I'd be happy to help support anybody doing it (and try my best to help with the fundraising aspect, which for me was the hardest part). I could be ready for a marathon in Spring of 07, but that might be too far out for everybody else.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Anchorage would be easy (or easier) for me.

Angie, what is WDW?

Comment

I'm so moved...I have to go cry.

kris
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I might be willing to try it as a walker. And Anchorage is actually good for me b/c I have a dear, dear friend who lives there. My cousin did Team in Training and actually ran the thing ... not my cup of tea. Honestly 26.2 miles w/o a car simply isn't my cup of tea - but for Kris I would try (and it sure would be good for me .... no question).

Comment

:ra: :ra: :ra:

Go Kris! Go Jenn!

I may not be able to participate, but I can sure cheer you on. Update as you go!

Comment

I'm thinking 1/2 marathon (still walking here - v. bad knees) would be an attainable goal for me.

Comment

Wouldn't it take like 5 days to do a marathon? At least at my speed and need for oxygen? I have never smoked, but something about running, I don't know, maybe the aeorobic fitness part, gives me an acute inability to breathe very well. I do have exercise induced asthma, but I think more than that, I have the fitness level of your average senior citizen.

Go, team, go! :ra:
                      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Well, I walked both my marathons because I hate to run- the first one I walked in 7 hours, the second one took like 10 because I was walking with a group of women who had to stop and pee at every rest stop and then eat, then drink, then pee again...yikes!

If you do it with a group like this, they set you up with a training program, there are masseuses available at the end, they provide travel and hotel and there's about a million people cheering you on the whole way.

I did the one in Dublin with the Arthritis Foundation and the second one was with the Avon walk. I'm telling you, anyone of us can do just about anything- there are lots of activities that the T in T people have.

I'm considering the triathalon, but I need to find a pool. I'm waiting to hear back from the DC T in T people.

We CAN do this.

Jenn

PS- Heidi, it is really disconcerting at the start of training to drive 26 miles and think, "Holy Crap, I'm going to WALK this far?" But it's even cooler to drive that far AFTER you've done it!

Comment

I'm gearing up for a cross-country move at the end of June with all the kiddos and the cats. No way I'll be able to do the Alaska option on June 17th! Now, if you were to pick a time late in the summer or in the fall I could definitely get myself into the right shape for at least walking and make it to the necessary location.
                          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                          With fingernails that shine like justice
                          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I know I could definitely do this one time-wise:

http://www.mauimarathon.com/

The national leukemia and lymphoma society does the Hawaii one as well.
                            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                            With fingernails that shine like justice
                            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I'm willing to give it a try!!!!! Kris, anything for you.
                              Luanne
                              Luanne
                              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                              X