Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

King Cake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Cake!

Just made a King Cake for tomorrow--I've made one every year for the past 5 years, and this is the best and easiest recipe yet.

I threw a package of cream cheese in the filling--we'll see how it turns out!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mardi-G...ke/Detail.aspx
    Attached Files
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Re: King Cake!

That's basically the recipe I use. I didn't get to make one yet. I hope I can get to it tomorrow. Both kids ended up with the pukes this weekend and I had too much to do today after we got back from Dallas. I did make beignet dough though which is chilling in the fridge. Yum!

Your cake looks great!! Bon appetit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Looks Yummy!
      Brandi
      Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Mmmm... It looks so good! Great job!
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I made my first this year and used Emeril's recipe. I didn't remember to twist the dough though. I also used a cream cheese filling. It turned out so tasty!
          CIMG3655.jpg
          Living the Life of Intern Year...

Comment

Awesome pics!

Ummmm.....so....King Cakes....can someone fill me in? I'm sure this is one of those things I should know about.....but don't.

Kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I'm wondering too Kris! They look delicious.
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

ooo---nice colors Seaside Bliss! I made Emeril's recipe last year, and decided to try a new one this year. It was good, though!

Here is the scoop on King Cake's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_cake

We didn't really get into it before my family spent 3 years in Mississippi--it's a big deal down there and in Louisiana. (My parents made the mistake of taking us to NOLA near Mardi Gras TWICE during that 3 year span--hehe). Since then I've made one for my family every year, and I started having a Mardi Gras party in college. It's really not popular here in Oklahoma at all, but my guy friends appreciate the free food! I've got homemade jambalaya ready to put in the oven tomorrow! I'm making red beans and rice too--but I'm cheating and using Zatarain's. It's good!
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Here's mine.

Attached Files
                  Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

And beignets!

Attached Files
                    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

mmmm beignets! Best thing ever!

Comment

Bump! In case anyone else is making one this year.
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Oh heavens... you had me at beignets... *drool*

I like King Cakes as more of a reminder of the season than I actually like to eat them. But I haven't seen much Mardi Gras stuff up here which is kind of a bummer -- I didn't move out of the south, so where's all the purple, green and gold?? Sad day.
                          Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Originally posted by michele View Post
                            and beignets!
                            jealousyyyyyy!!!

Comment

I made jambalaya, chicken and andouille gumbo, and macque choux corn and brought it over to my family's house yesterday. My mom made beignets too. I'm making a king cake for work today!

When we went to NOLA last year we found this incredible restaurant in the French quarter called The Gumbo Shop. It was so good we came back and ate there again the next day. We bought their cook book and I use their recipes. I'll post one or two here if I get the chance today if anyone wants to celebrate Mardi gras with some Cajun food!

Comment

Working...
                              X