Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

King Cake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mmmmm...it all looks sooo good. I made a half-hour chicken gumbo a couple of weeks back from Everyday Food. It was great - we substituted chorizo for andouille. I'm slowly learning how to like different types of sausage besides Bob Evans, lol.

And Finding Eq - if you want King Cake or anything else Cajun, check out Beck's Cajun Cafe in Reading Terminal Market. The gator gumbo is fantastic, and I never thought I would ever eat gator (tastes like spicy chicken). I bet they will have beignets and king cake tomorrow!
    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

BUMP and I'm doing it this year!!! I've sulked every year during Mardi Gras since being in NC. This year I'm bringing a little Mardi Gras to NC. So far I'm making one for a house party this Friday and for the preschool next month a little closer to Fat Tuesday. The kids are really young and I don't know if they will go for it or not. I was thinking about dying the cream cheese filling a fun color like purple. Would that mess up the bread or anything if I did that?
      Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
      "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I think it would be fine
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

DH thought people sometimes put raisins in the bread. Ever heard or seen that?
          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I grew up in New Orleans and never had raisins or pecans in King Cake. We're lucky now that we can get King Cakes at our Kroger, but when we didn't live close enough to New Orleans previously, we've always ordered one a year from Haydel's.
            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I'm kinda hoping DH gets an interview in NOLA just so I can tag along and we can go back to the Gumbo Shop and Cafe du Monde. Otherwise we don't really want to live there....
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

There are TONS of variations on King Cake now. I've seen raisins, praline, various jams...even the donut shops make a donut variety. I couldn't keep track of all the different ones available.

Most of the people I hung around in Shreveport (opposite end of state from NOLA) preferred the cream cheese stuffed cakes. The other common one was the praline.
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                  I'm kinda hoping DH gets an interview in NOLA just so I can tag along and we can go back to the Gumbo Shop and Cafe du Monde. Otherwise we don't really want to live there....
                  I don't want to live there either!
                  Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Another year, another king cake.

I'm having a party tonight! Cooking up a storm.

I think I'm finally turning into a southerner.

Comment

Yum! Can't wait!!!
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Oh man that looks amazing, and I don't really even like King Cake
                        Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I made three this morning for a work event and they came out AMAZING! No pictures. But super yummy.
                          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

King cakes, cakewrecks style! http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2013/...de-n-seek.html
                            Sandy
                            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Love. For the record, I hide my babies IN the cake. But Saturday I did do the necessary "PEOPLE THERE IS A SMALL PLASTIC OBJECT IN THE CAKE CHECK BEFORE YOUR FEED TO YOUR TODDLER" announcement.

Comment

I skip the baby all together. I thought about putting in a pecan, but used them up in the dog treats I made.
                                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
                                X