Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

King Cake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooh I'd love a couple recipes! I have a shellfish allergy, and I don't always trust restaurants so I prefer to make my own.
    I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Our king cake.

And the one I made for the daycare.

Beignet dough is in the fridge risin'.

I'm going against the grain for us this year and making a version of Jambalaya. My étouffée recipe is just too big for my mom, Daegan and I. I found a jambalaya recipe on AllRecipes that I think will work as a base. I'm so not Cajun and I don't like spicy nor andouille. . So it's going to be more of a chicken and shrimp dirty rice. But it'll be yummy any way.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Pretty Michele!

You let your beignet dough rise??? We use the cafe du monde mix and they always turn out crappy. Maybe that's the secret?

I'm bringing a king cake to work tomorrow. Can't wait to send out te email telling y coworkers to look out for the naked baby!
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post

I'm bringing a king cake to work tomorrow. Can't wait to send out te email telling y coworkers to look out for the naked baby!
          They're clearly going to think you baked your baby...awk.

Comment

I just made this yesterday for my Houston born, whole family is from Benton, LA and Port Arthur, TX soul food loving husband and he said it was perfect! He enjoyed more rhan the Paul Prudhome recipe i usually use.
            http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html
            I added green peppers, celery, and shrimp, left out the Tasso and only used 1/4lb of andouille. It's already all gone and I've been asked to make another batch for tomorrow. I might reduce th liquid a bit and leave out the red pepper if you do not like it spicy. The cakes look awesome by the way!!!

Comment

Yeah, all beignet recipes I've seen call for an overnight in the fridge.

I'll try to link the one I use.
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

This is the beignet recipe I've been using for the past several years. I love it.
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I'm going to try it! They are Js fav and I'm giving up sugar for lent...
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

You guys are making me drool. Yum.
                    Attorney, mom, married to a vascular surgery fellow!

Comment

How did you twist your king cake from the original post ST? Was it stuffed or jelly rolled?
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Divided the dough in half, rolled it into two long rectangles, and put the filling in each rectangle. Then I sealed the edges and roped the two pieces around each other.

Comment

Ahhh
                          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

This years cakes:

And recipes:

Roux color and directions

Chicken and Andouille gumbo

Jambalaya

Red Beans and Rice

Macque Choux corn...really tasty

Comment

Thanks for posting! My mouth is seriously watering.
                              I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
                                Thanks for posting! My mouth is seriously watering.
                                Ditto! *drooooooooool*
                                Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Working...
                                X