Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Costco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costco

Ok ladies, we now have a Costco membership - what are the great deals? Must haves? Unique items?
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

The BERRIES and FRUIT right now!!!! Other than that, we stock up on their frozen fish and some cleaning supplies we use frequently. The inventory changes unpredictably, so you get what you can. Other stuff that comes to mind: baby/toddler clothes, office supplies (paper), almond butter, baby wipes, lotions/sunscreens, and recently nori (seasoned seaweed)... I recommend checking prices, sometimes it doesn't differ much from grocery stores and sometimes it is amazing.
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Yay!

If I remember, I try to get my milk there. It's usually $1 cheaper than the grocery store.

I love these: http://www.brooksidefoods.com/usa/pr...-blueberry.php. They are crack. I ate an entire bag pretty much on my own in 10 days.

I also love their salsa, Abuelita tortilla chips, Special K, and the gummy adult multi vitamins (can't remember the brand name right now, shoot). I also stock up on Bounce dryer sheets, Kleenex, Tide or All detergent, and paper/plastic products - picked up some re-useable plastic dishes and silverware that are great for parties. Otherwise, we aren't good at buying in bulk just yet, I'm slowly warming my miserly DH up to the idea. I'm sure we will be in there more once we have another income in the house. Right now, it's just a stop for the rare stock up and snack-fest/impulse buys. Do get the berry smoothie from the food court, it's so good (and filling)!

Oh, and I bought my tires from there. $200 for all 4, including labor and disposal. Pretty sweet.
      Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Kirkland laundry detergent! Love it!
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I do tires at Costco too, and have had fantastic service.

DH loves to browse for "big ticket" items, books, and clothes. We buy meat that we can freeze, snack foods, drinks.

Other than those things, it's kind of a struggle. We don't go through large quantities of things. I've ended up wasting a lot buying something "just to try" and ending up not liking it. So I guess I think Costco is generally best for buying things you already know you'll use.
          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I'll second the milk, salsa, and tires. I also LOVE the chocolate covered acai or pomegranate seeds. Yum!

I haven't found most fruit to be a great deal compared to the grocery stores, but the container of organic baby spring mix is a fantastic deal, and it usually doesn't spoil before we finish it. The one time it was already starting to spoil when we opened it, we took it back for a refund, no questions asked.

The other things we buy there regularly are bread, President feta cheese in a huge block, Kirkland Signature parmesan, Kirkland Signature tortilla strips, Stacy's pita chips, Kirkland Signature strawberry spread, Pasta Prima spinach ravioli, rice, dry beans, Cascade Action Packs (when they have a coupon in the monthly booklet), Mountain High plain yogurt, granola bars, Perrier mineral water, V8, vitamins and supplements (also with coupon). Really, everything with a coupon. I buy enough of a nonperishable item to last until they run the coupon next time. I check this thread for the good deals in each month's coupon book, but it hasn't been updated to the new month's book yet.

Books (if you must have them in physical form), laptops (2 year warranty), some clothing, kitchen and bathroom items are also great deals. Prescriptions and glasses!!!

You still have to be careful when shopping there because not everything is a great deal. Soda and cereal are definitely not even close to being a good buy in my book. Sometimes I pay more for a product at Costco when I cannot find something of comparable quality in the grocery stores, but Cheerios and Coke don't qualify for that. Their meat is absolutely beautiful, but still more expensive than in the grocery stores. Someday... Surprisingly enough, sometimes the Kirkland Signature version of a product is more expensive than the name brand. The most recent example of that is All Free & Clear being cheaper than Kirkland Signature Free & Clear.
            Cristina
            IM PGY-2

Comment

We dont have one here but we'll be next to one I'm sure when move. For those of you that shop there, How is the organic food availability at Costco?
              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

WE LOVE COSTCO! I always use the coupon book and will buy whichever is cheapest using the coupon

Home/Cleaning: Toilet paper, paper towels, kleenex, diapers, kitchen garbage bags, cleaning wipes, napkins, laundry detergent, dishwasher soap, ziploc bags, aluminum foil, plastic wrap

Freezer/Fridge: Frozen chicken breasts individually packaged, danon yogurt, potstickers, skinny cow ice cream sandwiches, butter

Snacks: fruit snacks, granola bars

Baking/Cooking: olive oil, PAM, ghiradelli triple chocolate brownie mix, oats

Clothing: DH's white t-shirts, workout socks

Food: mac & cheese, flank steak, ribs (we freeze the meat), barilla pasta

Toiletries: Tampons, razors, deodorant, q-tips, toothpaste, sonicare toothbrush heads, vitamins

Comment

You guys are making me jealous! Stinkin' Sam's...
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

For sure the TP. A couple of month ago we ran out and I had to get some at another store. First I was so lost, because I was so not use to having such a selection. But, the biggest shocker was the ticket price. Since we were out and I was in a rush we bought the cheapest and it was gone way too fast.
                    Another is gas. Gas is so much cheaper there and if you get the executive membership you get like 2% back. We love their baked Chicken at 4.99 for a big old thing you can't beat the price.
                    Here is just a few more things, Books, Diapers (especially with the coupons they send out. We just got 6 bucks off so instead of paying 40 bucks for 200 diapers we paid 34. Vitamins are a great buy.
                    I would also have to give a big plug for their glasses. We just purchased some and we bought two pairs that were still cheaper then my son's 1 we bought at the optho.
                    I think you just have to be careful have a list and budget and try to stick to it.
                    And about their fruit they may not be cheaper than any grocery store, but it is sure a lot better quality than you can get at store, at least here where we live.
                    Lastly, Use their coupons. If you don't get them ask for them they are great.

Comment

If your kids are big hot dog eaters, pick up the Coleman Natural Hot Dogs. DH loves them and they don't have a lot of the crap regular hot dogs do (preservatives, etc.) It's hard to say a hot dog is "high quality" meat, but this is about as close as it gets!

I also got a huge hunk of goat cheese last time I was there for $4.

If you plan to do some decorating, they have the BEST price on Canvas photo frames I have found anywhere. I have one hanging over my fireplace from our wedding--I'm friends with our photographer and she came over to see it--she was BLOWN away by the quality. I'll never order a photo on canvas from anywhere else.

I go with my mom--she has a card, so I mooch. Win for both of us--we get to spend some "quality time" together and I don't have unlimited access to Costco!
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                        You guys are making me jealous! Stinkin' Sam's...
                        Why do you say? We have Sam's and buy a lot of these types of products, but also have a Costco in our city. Does Costco have better deals?

Comment

Originally posted by ChristinaMarie View Post
                          Why do you say? We have Sam's and buy a lot of these types of products, but also have a Costco in our city. Does Costco have better deals?
                          As I recall, this thread was pretty conclusive that Costco beats Sam's out of the water: http://www.medicalspouse.com/forums/...o-vs-Sams-Club
                          Sandy
                          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by ChristinaMarie View Post
                            Yes, after reading the thread poky listed, I definitely think Costco has better selections.
                            Laurie
                            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

After only being to Costco once and having a Sam's for 7 years I would say yes, Costco blows Sam's out of the water for experience, selection and value.
                              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X