Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Super Easy Indian Chicken

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made the sauce without the meat (every time I make it I use the recipe as a guide only - I change it up a little each time) and cooked it in the crockpot on low for 10 hours, then I added 2 lbs of boneless chicken breast that I cut up similar to what you would do for a stirfry and added it for the last 45 minutes. I always use plain yogurt instead of half & half. The chicken breast was cheaper than any of the other chicken, it was buy one get one free, which made it 2.50 a pound!! I now have a chunky chicken stew to serve over rice.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

• This was so awesome!!! I served it with homemade naan and my husband probably ate 3 servings! Definitely a keeper. Thanks!

Comment

• Would love your recipe for naan. I've never made it. My husband grew up being served fresh chapati or roti as he ate (meaning his mother never sat down to eat with them). That is NOT how I role, so we often but naan, but its terribly overpriced.

Comment

• But of course! I always make it all at once and keep it warm in the oven until we eat. It's from, of all places "The BBQ Bible" random, I know. I don't know how traditional they are but they taste yummy!

1 envelope active dry yeast
          5 TBS sugar
          1 cup warm water
          1 egg, beaten
          3 TBS milk
          2 tsps salt
          4 1/2 - 5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, + some for rolling or dusting
          1 TBS vegetable oil
          4 TBS unsalted butter melted

1) Combine yeast, 1 TBS of the sugar and 1/4 of warm water in a large bowl and let stand until foamy, 5-10 minutes. Stir in remaining sugar, water and the egg, milk and salt. Add 4 cups of the flour and stir to form a dough that is soft and pliable, but not sticky. Kneed the dough until smooth and elastic either by hand (8-10 minutes) or in a food processor or a mixer with a dough hook (6-8 minutes).
          2) Lightly oil a large bowl. Put dough in the bowl and oil the top of it. Cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, 1-1 1/2 hours. Punch down dough and pinch off 2 inch pieces, roll into smooth balls (should have 14-16 balls). Place balls on a lightly floured baking sheet and cover with a lightly dampened clean kitchen towel. Let rise again until puffy, about 30 minutes.
          3) You can make these on an outdoor grill, or on the stove with a grill pan or on a griddle. I have made them all 3 ways. I prefer the grill pan on the stove if we aren't actually outside grilling to begin with.
          4) When ready to cook roll out the balls on a lightly floured surface to about 5 inches in diameter. Then gently slap them from palm to palm so they stretch into a 7-8 inch disk. I usually have to tug them in a circular motion to get them to this point. Stretch the circle into a traditional teardrop shape and immediately lay it on the hot pan/grill/griddle.
          5) Cook until the bottom is crusty and browned and the top is puffed and blistered, 2-4 minutes. Brush with melted butter. Flip and cook 2-4 minutes on the other side. Brush with more butter (!) as they come of the grill.
          I hope you enjoy them! They take a little time because of the rising but I find it relaxing to make bread on the weekends to eat during the week. They keep pretty well in tupperware or a plastic bag. Let me know what you think.

[IMG]file:///Users/V/Desktop/-2.jpg[/IMG]-2.jpg

Comment

• Making this now, my kitchen should smell yummy when I wake up!!!!
            Luanne

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

• Anyone make this anymore? I'm thinking of trying it this week.
              -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
              Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
              Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

• I love this recipe!
                Kris

Comment

• I make it all.the.time. Although, I use chicken breast now. Tastes great but better the next day if you can wait a day.
                  Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

• I still make it, but I have been vegetarian for over a year now, I just replace the meat with beans / tofu / tempeh.
                    Luanne

Comment

• I'm going to try this this week!
                      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

• Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
                        I'm going to try this this week!
                        I think you'll love it. Has anyone tried it in the electric pressure cooker?

Comment

• Everything is in the crock pot, ready to go tomorrow! It smells so good already! I debated trying to do it in the pressure cooker tonight, but decided since I had time to prep it tonight and do the crock pot tomorrow, that would work better. I can't wait to try it! I bought a cut up chicken and took most of the skin off to save some time and fat. I did one jalapeno, seeded. And I may just use whole milk instead of 1/2 and 1/2, because I didn't want to buy any.
                          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

• Has anyone ever done it not in a crockpot? Or not slow cooked?

I'm considering vegetarian maybe with chickpeas but I can't tell if the slow cooker is for convenience or because it needs that much time to develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

• I've been using chicken breast or strips...cause I'm lazy. It is still good.

Comment

• Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
                                I've been using chicken breast or strips...cause I'm lazy. It is still good.
                                Still in the slow cooker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Working...
                                X