Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

kick butt Indian potatoes

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kick butt Indian potatoes

okay - for those of you who can't find their crock pot (Jenn) ... this should help in the interim.

this one is from MIL so the measurements (if there are any) are really by eye ball, but it's very easy and YUMMY!

You'll use 3 or 4 decent sized potatoes. Peel and cube.
    1 dried red pepper
    1/2 t fenugreek seed
    1/2 t mustard seeds
    1/2 t cumin seeds
    pinch of asofeda
    1 to 2 t tumeric
    2 T salt
    3 to 4 jalapeno peppers ... depending on how spicy you like it
    heaping t of corriander/cumin (is a mixture of spices sold in Indian stores)
    1/2 t garaham masala
    2 t or so minced ginger
    1/4 to 1/2 c ketchup
    2T brown sugar

Pour about 3 T oil in LARGE pan & heat oil but do not let smoke. Break the red pepper in, add all of the seeds, asofeda & tumeric. You're cooking the spices but DO NOT let them burn (v. easy to do ... I usually have to start over once). You'll hear the seeds popping and it will be very fragrant. Before it burns, add the potatoes & enough water to cover the potatoes. Add salt, garaham masala, corriander/cumin & ginger. Cover pan and simmer on low until potatoes soft, but not super-mushy. Once the potatoes are cooked, add the ketchup and brown sugar. I like to turn the heat down and let it 'stew' for awhile w/the lid off to thicken up a bit.

YUM!

What kind of dried red pepper? Would you find it in the mexican food section?

Comment

Have I told you lately that I love you?

J.

Comment

i think they are dried jalapenos that never entirely ripened.

i love you too, jenn. i love you too.

Comment

I love your recipes, and can you believe I have all of the ingredients!!!!
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I'm SO impressed Luanne! I would NEVER have had all that on hand if it weren't for MIL's deliveries!

Comment

people- you've got to make these. I hadn't made any indian food since I posted the crock pot recipe (got to be in the mood for it), but made the potatoes last night for my cousin. I've got to say - they TOTALLY ROCK! If you all are as into Indian food as you say you are - you MUST make these.

Comment

I know, I know! Something keeps getting in the way. All these back to school picnic this and thats and visitors.

What do you usually serve it with? Or is it just a festival of potato. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Comment

it's a festival of potato (eaten w/naan). you could make the chicken to go with it -- but my IL's are veggie, so their meals are often festivals of potatoes.

Comment

Last night, I would have been perfectly happy eating just mashed potatoes.

Comment

I know, I keep wanting to make this...I'm just having trouble finding asofeda and fenugreek. When I do, it will be a festival of potato at this house!
                      Married to pediatric surgery fellow, SAHM to 2 munchkins

Comment

Let me know if you can't find it, and I can send you some. My MIL has me so stocked up on spices I could open a store!

Comment

Jenn, I'm assuming a floury russet type potato rather than waxy? I found some dried pasilla chiles in the pantry. Hopefully that will work. Better get some mac n cheese for the little ladies!

Comment

yeah - I just use good ol' Idaho, but I do peel them first. not familiar w/the kind of chilies you mentioned, but we're just looking for a little heat here, so i'm sure they'll be fine.

enjoy! i hope the baby likes it!

Comment

This is all a foreign language to me, and I cook. I've never cooked (or even eaten) Indian food before. Where in the world do I find these things??

Comment

Working...
                              X