Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

kick butt Indian potatoes

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jesher
    Let me know if you can't find it, and I can send you some. My MIL has me so stocked up on spices I could open a store!
    Thanks, Jenn! If I don't have success at one more store, I'll come looking for you.
    Married to pediatric surgery fellow, SAHM to 2 munchkins

Comment

Originally posted by stellava
      This is all a foreign language to me, and I cook. I've never cooked (or even eaten) Indian food before. Where in the world do I find these things??
      Indian grocery stores. I'll bet dollars to donuts that there is a store called "Patel Brothers" near you.

Comment

Ellie, she really does deliver. I got a fragant box of goodies in the mail.

Ok, the potatoes are SO YUMMY. Make them with the chicken, some naan and rice and you could have an Indian dinner party.

I screwed up a few things and they still turned out. Forgot the mustard seed, forgot to put the tumeric in the oil, and forgot to break up the chile. The pasilla negra worked just fine but I did shake the seeds out and only used 1 jalepeno. Would definitely up it to 2 for next time (used 3 potatoes).

Mwaaaaah! Thank you, Jenn!

And I burned the spices and chile the first time too.

Comment

I'm a proud, proud mama.

Comment

It was a festival of potatoes! A dish worthy of my favorite root vegetable.

Whenever I walk into the kitchen I feel like I am in the House of Curry. Cooking the spices like that really creates an aroma.

ps -- forgot the asofeda too.

Comment

Delicious!!! DH made this last night (I helped a little) and it was so good. I brought some for work today and I know they will all be jealous when the smell the wonderful smells of curry.

Thanks for the recipe!
              Danielle
              Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Oh my god did I ever improvise the hell out of this recipe.

I left out everything I didn't have. Mostly just the asofetida and coriander and fenugreek. I subbed both fresh and dried peppers for crushed red pepper and ground Mexican peppers.

I think I used way too much water. At the end I had a soup! Only then did it occur to me why you use Idahos (I used Yukon golds) -- the starch probably thickens it. So...I poured some of the "broth" out, and smashed the rest! Just lightly, leaving lots of nice big chunks. It's super yummy, and I can't wait to scoop it up on some naan -- but if I called it Indian potatoes your MIL would probably throw a fit!

Boo, looks like hubby ate my last piece of naan, but it's good eaten with a spoon too.
                Alison

Comment

Hey Danielle - I missed the post that you made this (that was Quinn's birthday). I'm glad you liked it.

Alison - I'm glad you still got something yummy. It does remain a bit soupy, but thickens as you simmer. The potato starchiness would come into play, too. You should try it again w/all of the ingredients. I can't imagine it tasted like the kick butt indian potatoes w/o the corriander, fenugreek or asofeda.

Comment

I promise to make it in truly kick-butt fashion next time. We have an "Oriental Supermarket" that has huge quantities of imported products from pretty much every Asian country -- hopefully I'll find the fancier spices there next time I go!
                    Alison

Comment

OK, tonight's "hubby working late" project was *truly* kick-butt Indian potatoes. Yesterday I stocked up on garlic naan; today I hit the oriental supermarket (which was a zoo!) and got all the proper spices, including the coriander/cumin blend (though I bought one with turmeric and black pepper in it).

I used three big ol' russet-y potatoes, and one oversized jalapeno. I think the level of spicy was just about right, I have just finished my serving and I'm sweating but not in pain.

I was more careful about the water level, and let the dish simmer as instructed. It was perfect for eating with naan, and tasted much more "authentic" than the (nonetheless tasty!) goo I concocted last time.

Thanks again for the fabulous recipe! I told my mom about it on the phone and she demanded I share -- hope you don't mind.
                      Alison

Comment

I don't mind at all, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!! You are one brave woman eating that at 9 months pregnant!!!

Comment

Well, they say that spicy food promotes labor! Plus I just saw that fenugreek can cause uterine contractions in pregnant women (think I'd need to add more)...c'mon, baby!
                          Alison

Comment

Re: kick butt Indian potatoes

bumping for Alison

Comment

Thanks!

I've only got Yukons and Alison mentioned that they may be too starchy. I'll go see what I can find at the grocery store right now.
                              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Thanks for bumping...it's been a year since DH made these...It's time for some kick butt Indian Potatoes.. YUMMY
                                Danielle
                                Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Working...
                                X