Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
    Over the holiday I read a series that hit me to my core. The storylines might interest you too. It's Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan series. I ate through all of her fiction in a month.
    I'm on the waiting list for the Kindle library copy!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Grace

Comment

• Originally posted by gcuthbe1 View Post

I read the first of her books. Her writing is lovely.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

• Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
        I love your kid selections [MENTION=1498]MrsK[/MENTION], I'm all about good read-aloud a since I've been listening to a podcast called Read Aloud revival.

We are currently reading Mr Popper's Penguins. Thinking Mrs Piggle Wiggle next. And this fall we will do Laura Ingalls Wilder to coincide with US history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        We started Mrs Piggle Wiggle too. I want to read Little House on the Prarie with them (especially because, Kansas) but K1 has declared it boring. He's begging to read Charlotte's Web or The Magic Tree House series next.

Comment

• I want to read Little House on the Prarie with them (especially because, Kansas) but K1 has declared it boring. He's begging to read Charlotte's Web or The Magic Tree House series next.
          I loved the Little House books growing up, so we tried starting "Little House in the Big Woods" a few weeks ago. Honestly, I got a little bored, so we switched to Charlotte's Web. I'm enjoying reading that again! I also think the frank, but gentle discussion of death in the book is really perfect for the 4/5 year old set that seems to have a ton of questions and fears about it.

N has been asking to finish the Woods book, though, so we will pick it up again. There's just only so much detailed description of smoking meat that I can handle at a time!

I think the later books have a little more action, though--@MrsK maybe start with Farmer Boy? It might go over better with your boys.
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

• [MENTION=1498]MrsK[/MENTION] I was going to suggest Farmer Boy too.
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

• Yes to Farmer Boy. Have also heard excellent things about Johny Tremain (revolutionary war time period) but haven't read it myself.

They loooove Mr Popper's Penguins of course. Charlotte's Web is a good suggestion too. Agree on the themes being there but subtle. If you want to take it to the next level, you could try Bridge to Terabithia.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

• I've been wondering about books that discuss death.

K2 (5.5yo) has been very anxious about death, specifically my death. He's preoccupied to the point of having obsessive thoughts that I will be shot when we are separated (even if we are apart in the same room) and panic attacks at school. I think that he started to worry after we read a couple books where the protagonist was an orphan (Harry Potter, Anne of Green Gables). It's a popular theme in children's literature. Then he learned that a friend was adopted and our neighbor was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. She's my age and had 3 children the same ages as mine.

We tried taking him to a psychologist but she made things far worse and didn't have a clear treatment plan.

I decided to hold off on reading "Sarah Plain and Tall" because the mom had died. We read "Harriet the Spy" instead. I don't know if reading discussing death (Charlotte's Web, Tuck Everlasting) will help or hurt.

Comment

• If you want to take it to the next level, you could try Bridge to Terabithia.
                  Maybe in a few years, but she is way too sensitive for that. She will tear up at the slightest thing. If she was anything like me at that age, it can churn into some real anxiety.
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

• [MENTION=1889]SoonerTexan[/MENTION] I DEVOURED those little house on the prairie books as a kid, my mom tried to read them and just found them so painfully boring and could not. I think my imagination got me through.

Grace

Comment

• Originally posted by gcuthbe1 View Post

My Brilliant Friend?? I hope you enjoy it. I was totally captivated.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

• PEERS Social Skills Training. Not the most exciting, but a necessity.

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

• I LOVED the Elena Ferrante books. Really captivating.
                          Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                          Let's go Mets!

Comment

• Finished the Paul Auster book. It was fantastic - highly recommended. The title is 4 3 2 1. It's the kind of book that will linger on for awhile - it's really hard to get it out of my head. And now a long wait until the next one.
                            Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                            Let's go Mets!

Comment

• Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post

We are currently reading Mr Popper's Penguins.

How funny! My kids and I are listening to that in the car in the afternoons while we run all over town. We just finished Ramona and Beezus (that my 6 year old picked) and my 12 year old picked Mr. Popper's Penguins because she thought that her sisters would like it. Up next is Harriet the Spy that my 8 year old picked.

I'm reading Hug Your Haters - it was recommended by the 'business coach' that I use. I just finished The Lake House by Kate Morton and I'm on the hunt for my next book to dive in to.
                              Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

• [MENTION=912]samssugarmomma[/MENTION]
                                Hug Your Haters
                                I don't know a damn thing about this book but I freaking love this title. Kill them with kindness. Go high. Always. You'll never regret it.

I may have to go google.
                                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                                X