Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Actual Book Club?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
    I'd be interested, but agree with MrsK on the book selections. I consider myself a pretty avid reader and am willing to try most things, but some genres (mostly sci fi and fantasy...most of it, but not all. I've become a huge Neil Gaiman fan recently) I just can't get through. You know how everyone loved The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings? Those are my nightmare.
    Tolkien is fairly verbose I read The Hobbit in 7th grade, and looking back, there's a lot in there! I love sci-fi and fantasy, though!

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I'd be interested, but agree with MrsK on the book selections. I consider myself a pretty avid reader and am willing to try most things, but some genres (mostly sci fi and fantasy...most of it, but not all. I've become a huge Neil Gaiman fan recently) I just can't get through. You know how everyone loved The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings? Those are my nightmare.
      sf/fantasy is just about all I read, I absolutely love it...and I have NEVER managed to make it through more than about 50 pages of LOTR. I did read the Hobbit in middle school, but could NOT get into the other ones. Long, wordy, male epic fantasy just bores the shit out of me. The movies are great, though!

As for the other person who asked about Gaiman, I really liked Stardust. And Coraline. And Odd and the Frost Giants. And the Graveyard Book. And the Ocean at the End of the Lane...and Sandman is *amazing*. I don't think I've read Neverwhere, but the recent radio production was really well done.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
        sf/fantasy is just about all I read, I absolutely love it...and I have NEVER managed to make it through more than about 50 pages of LOTR. I did read the Hobbit in middle school, but could NOT get into the other ones. Long, wordy, male epic fantasy just bores the shit out of me. The movies are great, though!

As for the other person who asked about Gaiman, I really liked Stardust. And Coraline. And Odd and the Frost Giants. And the Graveyard Book. And the Ocean at the End of the Lane...and Sandman is *amazing*. I don't think I've read Neverwhere, but the recent radio production was really well done.
        I am loving "American Gods" and "The Ocean at the Ends of the Lane" is on my "holds" list with our local library. I read "The Graveyard Book" during my study abroad in London and it just felt so...appropriate for some reason. I loved it!

DH keeps wanting me to read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", stating it is "amazing" and "wonderful" and "you'll love it, there are talking dolphins!" But I just don't think it's for me. I am definitely willing to give things a chance, but I do think that the genre's I'm not crazy about (scifi, fantasy) would have to be a case-by-case basis to see if they are up my alley. I didn't expect to like "American Gods", but I couldn't put it down for weeks. Now I'm itching to get this semester over with so I can pick it back up.

I think L.Jane's suggestion on how to narrow it down would be a good place to start. On Goodreads I keep any extensive list of my "to read" books (Poky, I'm sure you see me on there all the time making updates! I'm obsessed) so we could each offer 1 - 2 things we were interested in and get some feedback from other interested book club members. Once we narrowed down the choices we could do the poll to vote for one (or two) specifically. That sounds kind of like a lot of work but I'm just blathering on.

iMSN Goodreads group, anyone? Who's up for even MORE social media??
        Last edited by WolfpackWife; 12-03-2013, 07:22 PM.
        Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post

This is me too. Poky, you are long-lost kin, I swear.
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

So yeah, I did it. I created a Goodreads group for iMSN, just so there is one if anyone decides to use it. I made it "secret" so I can only add people if you want me to add you and all the group information and members are not searchable and not visible. Totally optional, but I was messing around on Goodreads and decided to make a group. If we don't use it, no big deal (I know not everyone is on Goodreads, nor do they want to join). There is a private discussion board, ability to add new books to our shelves, ability to make polls, etc.
            Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

So yeah, I did it. I created a Goodreads group for iMSN, just so there is one if anyone decides to use it. I made it "secret" so I can only add people if you want me to add you and all the group information and members are not searchable and not visible. Totally optional, but I was messing around on Goodreads and decided to make a group. If we don't use it, no big deal (I know not everyone is on Goodreads, nor do they want to join). There is a private discussion board, ability to add new books to our shelves, ability to make polls, etc.
              Sounds good to me.. If everyone jumps on, Im in. I love my goodreads site. Its made finding something to read ten times easier than searching online.
              -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
              Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
              Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I haven't invited any iMSNers that I'm friends with on Goodreads to the group, just because I don't want anyone to feel obligated to join or participate. If you want me to add you, PM me!

LJane - I can lose hours searching for new books on goodreads. My "to read" list is probably one of my favorite things to look at...especially when perusing Amazon, Audible, and our public library's Kindle library. Best site EVER
                Last edited by WolfpackWife; 12-04-2013, 07:37 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KlynK View Post
                  I was just told about Neil Gaiman (mainly, Neverwhere) and was debating getting on of his books to read next!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I just read my first Neil book, the ocean at the end of the lane. He's such a craftsman with words and descriptions. I loved his characters too. I would love to read more of his work.
                  -Ladybug

Comment

WPW - Douglass Adams is pretty funny. Like, giggle-like-a-moron-over-goofy-puns-and-absurd-situations kind of funny. His books are short, quick-witted, funny reads and he has that typical dry Brit humor. I actually really love his writing.

Keep in mind that I also read Tolkien. All of his books. His stories are great, but dude seriously needed to realize that he can make the same point with a LOT fewer words. The wordiness is annoying as hell. Yeah, we get it -- you're a linguist who likes to play with language. We don't need to learn Elvish, dude.

I'm part of a book club with abysmal taste. I've mentioned elsewhere that their book choices tend to run along the gamut of Sweet Valley High hits middle age, cheats on their spouse, then tries to rectify/reconcile with cooking classes. Yeah, I haven't read a single option yet. I really just go to drink wine and hang with friends.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                      WPW - Douglass Adams is pretty funny. Like, giggle-like-a-moron-over-goofy-puns-and-absurd-situations kind of funny. His books are short, quick-witted, funny reads and he has that typical dry Brit humor. I actually really love his writing.

Hmm...I may actually like that, when you put it that way! I tend to distrust DH's book suggestions (however limited they are) because in almost 8 years the thing I've seen him read with the most enthusiasm was "Rapid Interpretation of EKGs".

sigpic

Comment

WPW, if the membership is not searchable I'm in. How much info do you need to add me? I don't have much identifying info on my profile.
                        Alison

Comment

I'm interested although it sounds like my reading preferences are pretty different than the current group. I don't really care for Sci Fi and tend to read a lot of nonfiction

Current loving Malcolm Gladwells David and Goliath!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                            WPW, if the membership is not searchable I'm in. How much info do you need to add me? I don't have much identifying info on my profile.
                            I will PM you!

sigpic

Comment

Okay iMSNers that I'm friends with on Goodreads...I cannot help myself. I'm going to invite you to the Goodreads book club group (secret, not searchable, invite-only)...please feel free to ignore. I just told SD that I will take no offense if the group is neither used nor generates any interest

T&S - While I'm not generally a fan of sci fi - though some have changed my mind - I am open to almost anything, nonfiction included! I am sure with enough avid readers, we can find books that satisfy everyone's preferences!

sigpic

Comment

Great! Sounds like we have a book club, at least for awhile! My vote is for each to submit 1-2 recommendations via Goodreads and put to a vote. I am a rather picky reader myself but that's mainly why a book club interests me: to get me to read books I wouldn't normally.

I'm on a Michel Houellebecq kick but most of his books are so graphic and lewd I doubt I'd suggest one. Ground rules? Nothing too smutty, religious, or political?

Comment

Working...
                                X