Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dracula (TV Show)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny thing is though, Hugh Laurie's accent doesn't sound odd to me and I'm used to his regular accent (Jeeves & Wooster) so I'm not sure what bugs me. Still, accent aside, he's sure easy on the eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
      Funny thing is though, Hugh Laurie's accent doesn't sound odd to me and I'm used to his regular accent (Jeeves & Wooster) so I'm not sure what bugs me. Still, accent aside, he's sure easy on the eyes.
      Yeah, Hugh Laurie's american accent is REALLY well done (to the point where my understanding is that one of the guys that cast him and wasn't familiar with him didn't know he wasn't American until told). Many brits can't quite pull that off, though. There's probably some subtle vowel sound JRM is not quite getting right.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Hugh's American accent is spot on. JRM sounds like he's trying to slip into a bad southern accent at times, it's strange. Though I guess since his character is faking an American accent it's acceptable with the story line.
        Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I didn't even know Hugh Laurie wasn't American for several years. Dracula kind of has a western cowboy twang.

Also did anyone else notice Downton Abbey's Sir Anthony plays Lord Davenport in the new Dracula? lorddavenport.JPGsave.JPGsiranthony.JPG
          PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Good eye Cinderella, I was thinking he looked familiar but it didn't register. His accent is weird but I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be on purpose or not? LSW, not even the costumes kept you interested? I love all the Victorian frilly frocks and corsets, etc.

Comment

Finally imdb updated and the actor that played Sir Anthony Strallan on Downton Abbey, Robert Bathurst, plays Lord Thomas Davenport in Dracula for (10 episodes, 2013).

Sweet!
              PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Cinderella, how are you liking it? I've gotten bored a few times but it seems like it's building momentum again. I'm liking Sleepy Hollow a lot better.

Comment

They lost me at the "everybody loves Mia" storyline but I'm still fascinated by the high production value.

I love Sleepy Hollow!
                  PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

~ Rumi

Comment

Yeah what's up with everyone falling in love with her?

Comment

I can understand the dynamics of a love triangle and the appeal of that but when they introduce a love square with one person as the main point it's just boring. I think with Lucy they wanted to get in the lesbian subplot because it seems all of Hollywood is doing that in nearly ever show these days.
                      PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

~ Rumi

Comment

Storyline's that I am interested in are the Mia and Van Helsing one. Will they work together? What happened to the rat Mia injected with Dracula's blood? How far is Mia willing to go to find a cure for death?

When will Mia remember her life with Dracula? We've seen in her dreams that she recalled being burned at the stake but that was it. When also see the connection between them. When her and Dracula were dancing did she remember them dancing on their wedding day or was that Dracula's memories we were seeing?

My hook with the show is the anticipation of Mia remembering her love with Dracula from long ago. In Braum Stocker's Dracula I watched Dracula and Mia's love scenes over and over and over again. The idea of the eternal love lasting through multiple lives for thousands of years was compelling. Call it what you will, soulmates, ect. Will Mia remember and will be as glorious as I imagine? Will Dracula be cured to walk in daylight no longer condemned to darkness through Mia's and Van Helsing's work? Will it be Mia who figures it out and pull the switch out of eternal love for Dracula and cure him, or will she do something out of condemnation for the monster he's become when she knows the truth?

Also if Lucy is a lesbian and the Huntress of Vampires recognizes it where does that lead? Will we see a romance between them as the Huntress becomes the educator of Lucy in these ways? With the Huntress's relationship with Dracula will that lead to Lucy becoming Dracula's lover too? In the original Dracula Lucy becomes his whore but Dracula doesn't seem interested in Lucy in this show. Will there be a love triangle between Dracula, Lucy and the Huntress by Dracula's design? They've already deviated so there are some surprises I suppose.

It always ends with Dracula being destroyed either by Van Helsing, the person that plays Johnathan, or the group that condemned Dracula which the Huntress is part of. So...I have to really wonder is it possible for Dracula to get his happiness with his one true love, Mia, and somehow go on to live an eternity with her? Villains don't seem to get that but Dracula in this series seems more like the victim and the villains are the group that made him what he is.
                        PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

~ Rumi

Comment

As a sappy romantic, I'm totally with you regarding soul mates and the eternal love aspect of their story...I wonder how the Huntress hasn't noticed that Drac doesn't have a heartbeat and is probably ice cold. Maybe he's just that good that it's distracting? Hmm...I also like the relationship between Renfield and Dracula because it's one of mutual respect, not the traditional master and slave situation that's usually depicted.

Comment

Remember when Dracula sacrificed his oldest comrade in arms and faked passing out during the battle? The Huntress was on top of him listening to his heart and when he awoke surprised she mentioned she thought he was dead because she didn't hear a heartbeat. Also the day when Dracula was in the solarium in broad daylight for the meeting the Huntress wasn't sitting at the table with the rest of the company but rather was on the other side in the shadows. From that angle she could have seen his face burning when the serum that Van Helsing was working on but isn't perfected yet started to run out of time. Yet she still seems oblivious to him being the source of all the Vampires while some members of the Order of the Dragon that she works for suspect him. The Order did turn him into Dracula after all and I wonder if they have the cure for him too. I like the relationship between Dracula and Van Helsing for the same reasons. Their bond is also for the same reasons which is to get vengeance against the order for destroying their lives and killing their families in front of them. However, in the regular Dracula stories Van Helsing is Dracula's arch enemy and hunts down and kills vampires.
                            PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

~ Rumi

Comment

I like the spin on Dracula and Van Helsing also...I don't like how the Order seems to be implying that the Huntress can't see what may be in front of her because she's a woman and of course, we're weaker and therefore blind to a man's faults

Comment

I thought they were implying she couldn't see Grayson may be the elder Vampire they seek because of her being smitten due to the sexual relationship they have and she just happens to be a women. Ironically the Order is right that she's blind to Grayson being Dracula.
                                PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

~ Rumi

Comment

Working...
                                X