Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

6 Ways To Be A Fabulous Partner in 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm an Obliger... No surprise I made the accountability group, huh? Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Grace

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
      LOL. Yeah, on second thought, a Rebel would really struggle with things like getting to yoga class regularly and meeting financial goals -- and would really find it tough to be married to an Upholder, which it sounds like C is!
      Omg DH got rebel!! I think it was just his mood.

Comment

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
        Omg DH got rebel!! I think it was just his mood.
        LOL, yikes! Yeah, I feel like med school and residency would tend to chew a Rebel up and spit him out. But on the other hand, supposedly they work well within highly structured environments, because it feeds their energy to have something to rebel *against*. And although I took y'all's discussion about weight loss ("You just have to try harder, anyone can do it," wasn't that basically his position?) to be a strong indicator that he's good with internal expectations and judgy against those who aren't -- Upholder traits! -- they say that Rebels can do absolutely anything they WANT to do, as long as they don't feel obligated to do it. So who knows!
        Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
          LOL, yikes! Yeah, I feel like med school and residency would tend to chew a Rebel up and spit him out. But on the other hand, supposedly they work well within highly structured environments, because it feeds their energy to have something to rebel *against*. And although I took y'all's discussion about weight loss ("You just have to try harder, anyone can do it," wasn't that basically his position?) to be a strong indicator that he's good with internal expectations and judgy against those who aren't -- Upholder traits! -- they say that Rebels can do absolutely anything they WANT to do, as long as they don't feel obligated to do it. So who knows!
          Yea I think he's an Upholder.
          Last edited by MAPPLEBUM; 01-04-2016, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Interesting. I'm an Upholder. I'm sure DH is an Upholder. It never occurred to me that there are other types of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
              I'm an obliger. No surprise.
              +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Needs

Comment

Originally posted by gem View Post
                It never occurred to me that there are other types of people.
                Lol. I think that might be the thing about upholders.

I'm an obliger, I guess. Kind of makes sense - I have trouble doing things for myself, trouble forming habits, and often do things because I feel I should. I have a dash of rebel, though - my mother says I would cut off my own nose to spite my face. So refusing to oblige is my ultimate rebellion - when I've had enough with someone, that's exactly what I do.

My biggest problem might be that I project obligations on myself, assuming that other people care about something when they don't. I'm getting better at this though - I can tell myself "DH doesn't care if his drawers are organized," "MIL doesn't care if I cook a nice dinner," etc. and relieve myself of a self imposed obligation. I'm starting to recognize when I actually do those things for me. Then if I still want to do them for me, great!

I wonder what DH is. Definitely not an Obliger. Sometimes wish he was.
                Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
                  So refusing to oblige is my ultimate rebellion - when I've had enough with someone, that's exactly what I do.
                  This is a thing too. Rubin calls it Obliger Rebellion.
                  Alison

Comment

Working...
                  X