Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sexualization of females in media & impact on our girls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found that article very interesting! Thanks for posting that! I think TV and magazines and celebrity culture are all more of an issue than Barbie! I think the toys aren't nearly as influential as the real-life depictions.

Almost nothing hurt me as much as when my little sister, 9 y/o, told me she liked Paris Hilton. I quickly retorted that, No, she does not like Paris Hilton, and no, she does not want to dress like her. I explained to her using pictures in magazines about what is appropriate and what is NOT appropriate. Appropriate? Hannah Montana. Not appropriate? Paris Hilton. She got my drift.

Comment

And, yes, the characters children see in movies, on television, in magazines and books all influence them in one way or another.

In short, everything that a child has to use one of their five senses to intereact with influences that child in some way. And, the same goes for adults.
      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
      With fingernails that shine like justice
      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by pstone
        Perhaps the real thing we should talk about is not why it is this way, or how it got this way, or if we can change it (to much momentum in my book) but what to do now.

We better own it, and quickly, or lose even more innocent children. Boys suffer just a much.

Really, I doubt it will change so we better make up a new myth to deal with it.
        Well, the fact is that people buy these things: movies, magazines, toys. People log onto the internet and search for Paris Hilton and other celebrities (isn't gofugyourself a big hit on the net?). This stuff gets money and attention and, therefore, it isn't going away.

I think the best thing we can do is focus on our own children - giving them the armor they need to confront this reality.
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

A number of members used and some still do live abroad. Does anyone notice how this is a much bigger issue in US than for instance in Europe? I really didn't notice this to be a huge problem in Europe and think a lot of the issue has to do with American Puritan ideals (so-to-speak).

I got my first string bikini at 9, in fact my best friend and I insited on getting matching ones. We had a crush on our swimming instructor and wanted to look cute. In 11th grade my mom was so happy that I was over the grunge stage, she happily replaced my baggy jeans with shorts that barely covered my butt.

May be once I actually have girls of my own, this will become a concern, but right now I just don't see what the big deal is. Eating disorders have largely to do with control issues and have existed long before super models became celebrities.

Comment

Kris,
            I hope I didn't offend you with the Bratz comment. I used "Bratz" to represent all of the toys on the Wal-Mart aisles . I agree with the other posters that a single toy is not going to cause damage . . . I will argue, however, that a single toy introduced at an inappropriate age could cause damage.

Nothing irritates me more about our culture than the loss of innocence. I had Barbies growing up and my sister and I actually played with them for hours every afternoon. But I was like 7? maybe 8? I don't know. . .I would have to ask my mom. I just CAN'T STAND how society wants our kids to grow up so fast. Start playing with Barbies at 2! Dress like Britney at 5! I mean what the @*&# is going to be left to do when our girls (and boys!) are 10? I actually considered getting my older daughter a Barbie for Christmas. She played with some dolls at a relative's house over Thanksgiving and was in heaven but then I stopped myself because she is ONLY THREE! She has *plenty* of time to get a Barbie! My girls are going to play with blocks and have tea parties with stuffed animals and swing outside and play in the sandbox until they are literally begging me with tears to get them some "older" toys!

I'm personally very worried about our society. Very worried. There is so much @*&# out there and just way too much of it (Can you tell I loathe our weekend trip to Wal-Mart? And don't get me started on the "made in China" thing. . .) I'm scared to think of what the world will be like for my girls when they are older. The good ole USA is way too focused on self, sex, and immediate gratification. Oh, and EXCESS!!!

Comment

Just to clarify, I am not free from concern about these issues -- sexuality and girls, daughters growing up to have healthy relationships, body image, etc.

The problem I have is with the tone of these stories. It is a serious issue but the way it is presented (IMO) is that it is a foregone conclusion that our daughters will have these problems or there is not much to be done. That is just not true. If I were to take such a dim view, I would not have had kids or not have had more than one child.

Thanks for the mention of the Unhooked author. I listened to part of that interview but had to get out of the car before it was over. I think books like hers add to the discussion in a helpful way.

On a broader level, I admit to having a knee-jerk reaction to the general topic of raising girls. The "grocery store" type comments I get on having three girls gets my hackles up. I need to develop a thicker skin. I am certain that there will be times when they drive me crazy as teenagers but I am not about to wish away 6 years of their lives or of mine. :soapbox:

Comment

A number of members used and some still do live abroad. Does anyone notice how this is a much bigger issue in US than for instance in Europe? I really didn't notice this to be a huge problem in Europe and think a lot of the issue has to do with American Puritan ideals (so-to-speak).

What is ironic (and I can only speak from my experience having a 1st generation European mother) is that European children tend to be much, much more innocent that children here. Perhaps because they don't have the mountain of pure @&*! that we do here.

Comment

I alternate between tossing the TV out the window and kissing it. It has less to do with the images than how it imposes on our listening...connecting.

Us, too. I am prepared to ditch cable and just have PBS. I can tell such a difference on a tv-free day, or especially the content. Thank God, we are experiencing a DP-free (DP=Disney Princess ) spurt right now and it is SO nice. I love the WonderPets (ok, so it's not PBS, but it's just a sweet show).

WonderPets, WonderPets, we're on our way, to help a grandpa bullfrog. . .we did NOT have a tv-free day today!

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
                    I....kind of agree. Here in the USA we aren't afraid to show every level of violence imaginable in movies/cartoons etc...but an ad for condoms, a pregnant barbie *gasp*, or sex scenes are waaay taboo.

Of course, I'm not advocating making sex scenes a regular thing on the tube either.

It's just that we americans have a sort of akward view of all things sexual and it makes us really weird about it.

They don't have these kinds of issues in germany...Of course, I remember being horrified when we lived in germany and I was pg with Andrew. I was sitting at the OB's office and two 14 year olds were there getting birth control w/o their parents. I couldn't let it go (and still haven't forgotten it) and dh basically said "so, you'd prefer they get pregnant like in America?"
                    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by TheFairQueen
                      Kris,
                      I hope I didn't offend you with the Bratz comment. I used "Bratz" to represent all of the toys on the Wal-Mart aisles .
                      Not at all. I actually have mixed feelingsabout them.....but with all of the other tween issues we're facing, they are low on the priority list.

Man....Zoe and Aidan have been napping a loooong time......

Comment

Let's face it Captialism is a major driving force behind all of this. The article Kris posted the link to, discussed the deregulation of Kids TV in the 80's...much to the pleasure of manufacturers & marketers of course... Then it was up to the advertisers to do their part (for a buck/ their share of the pie) it stated how much thought and research goes into the advertising of the products our kids are exposed to. And yes folks they even know how to use sex in their advertising to kids. So much of this is about the bottom line pardon the pun!

Comment

Man....Zoe and Aidan have been napping a loooong time......
                          :stars: oh you lucky woman :stars: ...says the gal whose ready to pull her hair out if one more little yahoo comes screaming in here! :needabreak:

Comment

2 kidswith fevers now. zoe is screaming hysterically in my arms as i type one-handed. i knew better than to think that all of this playtime for me was a good thing

Comment

Originally posted by TheFairQueen

What is ironic (and I can only speak from my experience having a 1st generation European mother) is that European children tend to be much, much more innocent that children here. Perhaps because they don't have the mountain of pure @&*! that we do here.
                              What do you mean by innocent? I'm sure our parents' generation was, todays teens/pre-teens not so much.

Comment

[quote:75930]Man....Zoe and Aidan have been napping a loooong time......

:stars: oh you lucky woman :stars: ...says the gal whose ready to pull her hair out if one more little yahoo comes screaming in here! :needabreak:
                                2 kidswith fevers now. zoe is screaming hysterically in my arms as i type one-handed. i knew better than to think that all of this playtime for me was a good thing
                                [/quote:75930]

Oh kris ...I am soo sorry...shame on me for envying you :tsk: ...I'll take loud yahoos over sickies anyday...hang in there s for all 3 of you!

Comment

Working...
                                X