Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dumbledore is gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumbledore is gay

Okay, I know everyone will totally disagree with me and all, but I need to vent and have my emotions tempered by good dialog.

Here is a article about the subject
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...102100683.html

For me the problem is not that Dumbledore is gay, but when and how Rowlings outed the man. I feel it was done in a way to be provocative and controversial and to alienate social conservatives. I mean can't we just enjoy something with out all the dang controversy ? If she wanted to promote tolerance, why wait until a whole bunch of books are sold and then out him ? Plus, it kind of makes his relationship with Harry all yucky and takes the innocence out of the tension in their relationship. I can imagine now that at gay pride parades, men dressed in Dumbledore costumes with Harry Potters on leashes.
    I guess to be honest what it comes down to for me is that as Christian I defended her as someone who just wanted to write a good story for kids that didn't truly clash with our values, but I guess I was naive and have to listen to a bunch of people say " I told you so."

Re: Dumbledore is gay

I don't see why there has to be controversy. I don't think the relationship with Harry was at all creepy, and if it wasn't creepy before he was outed, then it certainly isn't now. Can't a grown homosexual man having a loving, caring relationship with a child without it being sexual, charged, perverse, etc.? The tension in their relationship had nothing whatsoever to do with Dumbeldore's sexuality. Dumbledore loved Harry as he would love a family member. It isn't yucky to me, not in the slightest.

I think more than conservatives would have problems with gay pride parades with men dressed as Dumbledore with little Harry's on leashes. It isn't that type of relationship. That would be almost incestual and wrong on another level. As the article pointed out, Dumbledore was a kind, brilliant, but flawed man, and a good character. Is he suddenly more evil because he is gay?

She probably waited to out him because of the type of reaction that she feared people would have, the reaction you are having. It is a shame.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

What Heidi said.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Very well put Heidi! :nothing:

Comment

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
            Does Mrs. Weasley's love for Harry seem creepy and gross too? I'm just wondering if everyone's sexual preference overrides all other personal qualities, or if that just applies to homosexuals.

A person's (or in this instance, a character's) sexual preference should not be the key definition of them, and it seems that is precisely the problem when it comes to social conservatives. That, to me, is what is sad.
            Yet again - another member articulates it better than I would have.

:nothing:

Comment

Um, they're not real people...

Just a thought.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                Um, they're not real people...

Just a thought.

Jenn
                :>

kris
                ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Heidi hit it on the nose!
                  Danielle
                  Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Originally posted by Tenacious D
                    Heidi hit it on the nose!
                    Sandy
                    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Okay, I don't know anything about Harry Potter. But I saw that article online today and forwarded it to SO who loves those books. I think it's pretty lame that she came out with it NOW. I don't know if I fully believe her. It seems like a media ploy or maybe I'm just way too cynical. :anyolne:

Whatever. It's just a bunch of dumb kiddy books if you ask me.

:run:

Comment

The reason why I brought up Dumbledore’s relationship with Harry, is because it was an issue in the book. Not because he is gay. I just think the way Rowlings handled Dumbledore’s sexuality makes it seem like it’s shameful. If that’s who Dumbledore is then don’t keep it a secret, who cares what people think. I feel she feeds into stereotypes by even suggesting in the book that his relationship with Harry was tainted.

Comment

Originally posted by Stella

Whatever. It's just a bunch of dumb kiddy books if you ask me.

:run:
                          Oh dear...that quote is a debate in itself :tsk:
                          Danielle
                          Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

I did read that article, and I wondered how she knew Dumbledore was gay. I mean, did he tell her?

I thought it was some publicitiy thing too. Who cares- they are fictional characters. It was totally unnecesasry to "out" a fictional grandfather character.

BTW, though I would call myself "socially conservative" I didn't at all think that Dumbledore's relationship with Harry was tainted. I didn't say "Ah-Ha- that explains a lot!" But rather, maybe that explained why he didn't want to kill his arch-enemy... And even then, who cares. She is trying to fill in some of the holes from after the fact, IMO. It's not relevent.

Also, I have met lots of gay men (my mom is a professional musician) and I have never felt creeped out or even thought about it that way! Not based on something like sexual orientation.
                            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I would have never thought anything about their relationship in any way, if Rowlings herself had not made it an issue in the book. She was the one who had that Rita chick write chapter in the Dumbledore book that suggests that Harry and Dumbledore had a scandalous relationship.

Comment

Working...
                              X