Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Soy Milk vs Skim Milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassy
    It doesn't LOOK watery but it just tastes watered down. Do you ever use coconut milk in your cooking? If tastes like that except way watered down. I would like it more if it had a little more flavor to it. The ice cream is really good though b/c it has a good coconut milk flavor. It doesn't taste like cow's milk ice cream b/c frankly you can't taste just like cow's milk ice cream unless you are cow's milk ice cream. But it's tasty and I like it.
    Thanks! Next question about the ice cream. It's bloody expensive here. Do you think I could make it in my ice cream maker? I'm thinking it shouldn't be a problem, right?
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I love skim milk and have only tried soy/rice milk a few times but I will say all that soy/phytoestrogen stuff makes me nervous on its implications for pregnancy, fertility, and estrogen sensitive cancers. Maybe it's a load of baloney but I'm not taking the risk when I don't have an allergy to cow's milk. I know that the hormones in milk are equally controversial (though not in organic milk) but I will say that we've been drinking cow's milk longer than soy....so, I'm sticking to skim.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I've only tried skim and soy but much prefer the taste of skim. Soy is too sweet.
        I have a slight aversion to dairy, so I drink Lactaid brand skim milk, and it's perfect for me: tastes exactly like regular skim milk but doesn't upset my stomach.
        Back in the Midwest with my PGY-2 ortho DH and putting my fashion degree to good use.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm going to give skim a try. we have a local dairy that I buy most of the time. Maybe the local skim will be a option for me. I'm going to give making the ice cream a shot.

Comment

Oh! And hemp milk?!? Where do you get that from?? Never heard of it!

Comment

Hemp milk is delicious! It's in all the natural food stores here, and lot of the coffee shops make hemp lattes. El yummo!
              Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Not an option if you're military and paranoid though!

Jenn

Comment

Why?

Comment

Originally posted by moonlight View Post
                    Why?
                    Drug testing I imagine.
                    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Indeed. I'm not even sure I could drink it- drug tests aren't that sensitive. No, really- it was MILK.

J.

Comment

Pretty sure the THC that is flagged in drug screens is predominantly in the buds, not the stalks that they get the hemp fibers and milk.

At least that's what I hear.

Comment

We buy 2% for the boy. I drink it too (with chocolate, in cereal, or with Kahlua). M drinks almond milk (she prefers the refrigerated dark chocolate or vanilla ones -- pricey!). DH and E get their dairy from ice cream or cheese. LOL
                          Veronica
                          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Here's another little tidbit (as always unrelated to the original post), you can get false positives by using alcohol based hand sanitizers before a UDS and of course there's Ye Olde Poppyseed Bagels, too.

J.

Comment

I know I keep dragging up this old thread. I never could get on board with skim milk. I really tried it for months and didn't like it. I bought some coconut milk today and I really love the taste! I also bought the coffee vanilla flavored coffee creamer for my iced coffees. I'll let you know about it in the morning!!

Two thumbs up!

Comment

I am on a coconut milk kick right now too. Love it in my protein shakes. Trader joes has the small cartons for 1.99. Perfect size
                                Brandi
                                Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X