Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

And Baby Makes 20!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And Baby Makes 20!

Michelle Duggar is pregnant again with her 20th child.

Far be it for me to say that a certian number of kids is too many, but 20 is TOO many. What say you?

Besides the fact that they can afford it, I just think it is weird and creepy and irresponsible.

For me, 4 kids would be too many, and I know that for some the number would be higher or lower, but is there a point at which the number is too high for anyone?

Medically, her last pregnancy was not the best. Doesn't she have a responsibility to her existing children to STOP?

What's your take?
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

I was just watching the teaser on The Today Show and came here to see if anyone posted about it.

I cannot believe she is potentially putting another child at risk. I think it is completely irresponsible. That being said, I hope that baby is born healthy.
    Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

I think since they can financially support them all and so far they seem to be upstanding kids that they are fine to continue having kids. If the kids were screw-ups or costing me money or time then I would be opposed. But since they don't affect me, I don't care.

How many is too many for me? I'm not sure.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I have to agree, I think after what happened with the last one - I don't care if she's healthy now - that is to many. Of course if it wasn't for their show they probably wouldn't be able to afford it so maybe that is the issue.

I have some very large families in my family, one aunt had 9 but even she said you get to a point where enough is enough. I think its just wrong and as her older kids gets older and start to have their own (as 1 already has) you have to wonder what they think...
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

As for whether or not there is a medical risk, I assume she talked to a doctor. They told me I ha a 50-50 chance of having an even earlier preemie after D. Should I have not had more?
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

While they are somewhat making it public business by having a TV show, to each their own. There are plenty more people out there who shouldn't be having kids...I wouldn't put the Duggars in that category based on the outcome of their kids so far.

As for the risk...how about anyone who wants to have a baby late in life that uses a method that could result in a high number of multiples or the high chance that one or more of the embryos/fetuses will not make it?
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I am judgy about people who have lots of kids. I know it's not really fair, but it's true.
              Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

My knee-jerk reaction? Holy cow, it's a vagina, not a clown car!

My serious reaction? They seemed to be able to provide for these kids even before the show. They raise them well. It's not anyone else's business but theirs. As for the medical risks, it's been pointed out before that people take similar risks all the time, and nobody questions them. It's a very personal choice, one I wouldn't want my relatives and friends involved in, let alone a bunch of random strangers.
                Cristina
                IM PGY-2

Comment

I could definitely never have that many children and wouldn't even be close to interested in it, but I have to say all of their children seem very well behaved and have great manners. That being said it does seem very risky to be having another child. Who is to say I'd the risk outweighs the benefit though? I just hope for everyones sake that baby is born healthy.

Comment

Medical risk is between her and her doctor. My SIL nearly died having her first and, with close medical supervision, sailed through her second pregnancy and birth.
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I think its irresponsible. She basically has the older kids raising the younger & they are all home schooled & pretty much shutins. I find them reprehensible.
                      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by MissCrabette View Post
                        I love you said this.

I would never take the risk. I had crazy post-op bleeding after my third c-section and even though I always thought I would have 4 kids, I decided that I will not take that chance EVER. But that's me. To each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by MissCrabette View Post

I think they seem like great parents but 20??? The world would be SO overpopulate if everyone had 20 kids!
                          -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

I tend to think that big families get beat up for being big families and I'm not a fan of that.

However, I do have a teeny bit of judgment when you have a slew of kids already and you risk your health (and potentially your ability to parent) to have more. If your arms feel empty and you feel that your life has room for one more, there are a lot of kids who need adopted and foster care out there.

IMHO, I think that this would be a very different conversation if they felt like they had room in their life for one more soul and decided to foster or adopt. It kind of feels like they are putting their wishes to procreate over the needs of the family at large. I *get* the desire to want to have a child biologically even in the face of potential physical harm to mom or baby, but the parents have had this experience more than most. Somewhere along the way, they have crossed the line from being reasonable and responsible to self serving.

Wow, that came off as more judgmental than I meant, but there it is.
                            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by ides View Post
                              I think its irresponsible. She basically has the older kids raising the younger
                              Yep, I judge them primarily because of the impact their choices have on their other children. I’m all for kids having responsibility and contributing to the family. However, their buddy system (where an older sibling is assigned to care for a younger sibling) isn’t in place to teach their children responsibility or service. It’s there because the parents can’t physically or emotionally care for all of their children. I think that sucks and that kids deserve to be kids and not mini-parents.

I also think individual parental attention is important and I don’t know how anyone could possibly have the emotional resources or time to provide that for 20(!) children. (Says the often overwhelmed mom of one )

Comment

Working...
                              X