Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

And Baby Makes 20!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so sad
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

How horrible to have to deal with such a personal matter in such a public way.

Comment

Oh no that is really sad to hear.
        Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
        "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I doubt they mind sharing their journey pubically. There are a lot of families that lose babies at that maternal age and share in that emotional struggle. I'm sure they will hear their fair share of criticisms and told-you-so but they have to have pretty thick skin by this point. They might go through this again as she toes the Menopause line.
          -Ladybug

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
            I doubt they mind sharing their journey pubically.
            Best. Typo. Ever.

Sorry, I know it's a heavy subject, but that made me giggle like an over-sized middle schooler. Which, I apparently am.

Comment

Lol. Clearly I shouldn't type on my iPhone while bathing kids. That's priceless.
              -Ladybug

Comment

How awful! I can't imagine going through that on my own, much less with an audience.
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Anne Curry pissed me off this AM on the today show talking about Michelle Duggar. She was speaking with an OB/Gyn on issues like miscarriage in older women, etc. and she ended the segment by being like, "well hopefully her other children will be a comfort to her". She still lost a child. Other children can't compensate for that loss. I just felt like that was a ridiculous thing to say.
                  Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                  Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

So sad.

I saw the Ann Curry piece and was a bit put off, but then I stepped into my journalism shoes and realized that covering something as personal as a miscarriage is probably incredibly hard, and that it actually meant something more like "hoping her family can comfort her". It's really hard to cover such a sensitive topic without looking insincere.
                    I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
                      So sad.

I saw the Ann Curry piece and was a bit put off, but then I stepped into my journalism shoes and realized that covering something as personal as a miscarriage is probably incredibly hard, and that it actually meant something more like "hoping her family can comfort her". It's really hard to cover such a sensitive topic without looking insincere.
                      That was my take on Curry's comments, too.

Comment

I just think it is tasteless to analyze the miscarriage. I know they are in the public's view by choice, but does the media have to take it that far? Why interview an OBGYN anyway? What is your intended takeaway? (Blame?) Does it serve a purpose?? Does it bring comfort? No. The Duggars' path is not my own, but losing a child is always sad. I cannot fathom their pain, but regardless of opinions, they (and their unborn child) deserve a little respect. So sad.
                        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                          I just think it is tasteless to analyze the miscarriage. I know they are in the public's view by choice, but does the media have to take it that far? Why interview an OBGYN anyway? What is your intended takeaway? (Blame?) Does it serve a purpose?? Does it bring comfort? No. The Duggars' path is not my own, but losing a child is always sad. I cannot fathom their pain, but regardless of opinions, they (and their unborn child) deserve a little respect. So sad.
                          well said.

I also (even though I do actually really like her) don't think Anne does the sincerity thing that well - ever. But that's just my opinion.

Comment

JDAZ, I agree with you that Anne doesn't seem to do the sincerity thing well. I also think it's a difficult situation since there's an immeasurable loss and how do you really approach a subject that is deeply personal? On the other hand, the family placed allowed their lives to be open to the public so it's almost natural in today's society for the media to start probing and dissecting. I don't know how TV journalism works, so I don't know how much input the journalists have in terms of their assignments vs what the producers and networks tell them to do.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                              I think most interview-the-expert things like that are about educating the audience, aren't they? They pull them in when it relates to a story that'll bring in the audience, so it's kinda about the story, but as much about getting the facts out there. I didn't see the bit in question, so I don't know what the questions put to the ob/gyn were or how they were phrased, though. *shrug*
                              Sandy
                              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

It was along the lines of "why might this have happened", "is this common in older women", etc.

I find Ann Curry to be really awkward in many situations. She actually makes me uncomfortable a lot of the time when I'm watching her in a way that Meredith/Katie never did. And yes, I get that it's a hard topic but I mean it seems that the one thing to shy away from when discussing miscarriage it is easy to get over or isn't a problem if you have other children. I would have been better with "I hope her family/faith can comfort her/provide strength", etc. I know it's a tough job but someone who's at the pinnacle of their career should be able to handle that. Matt Lauer doesn't come across as that awkward when discussing serious/tragic stories.
                                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Working...
                                X