Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Public school vs. private school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, it doesn't sound that different from Dallas or a lot of other large cities where traffic and schools are issues. We're essentially living the soul sucking suburban life you described now and I'm pretty happy with it, but that is how both DH and I grew up. Trade offs and personal tastes. It sounds like the real difference is Dallas has more private school options. You live in the ghetto if you want to walk or bike to Parkland. Highland Park is the closest option with good schools and they defined conspicuous consumption. The MStreets and Lakewood are gorgeous, but the schools are horrendous past elementary, and it still took DH 15 min at least to get to the school and we lived right on 75. It is what it is. That's why we ended up where we are now.

Bummed to hear about Decatur, but it would have probably really stretches our budget anyway. Ill worry about it more if DH actually gets an interview at Emory.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Emory is a FANTASTIC place to do a residency. And, frankly, it has been a truly great professional opportunity for DH--definitely, he made the best job choice.

If we were here for a finite period of time, like residency, I think I would be perfectly fine with it. I can deal with less-than-fantastic schools or homeschooling for four or five years, for the chance at a great residency. The issue for me is that there is no end in sight. This is truly one of the best places around to so the kind of academic practice my husband does. It is hard to imagine a better opportunity coming along any time soon.

I am deep in the grieving process. I have to come to terms with having lost the one thing I really wanted and really worked so hard for all the years. It is difficult to swallow. I mean, it's not like I've suffered a child's death or some kind of real tragedy--so I can hardly sink into depression. I'll get over it and deal. But I don't want anyone else to come here long-term under any delusions about the city.

Comment

GMW, I can tell his decision hurt you, and I'm so sorry. It's such a cruel twist at the end of training, and I really hope something better comes up sooner rather than later.
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I have to come to terms with having lost the one thing I really wanted and really worked so hard for all the years. It is difficult to swallow. I mean, it's not like I've suffered a child's death or some kind of real tragedy--so I can hardly sink into depression. I'll get over it and deal.
          I suspect I would still disagree with you about Atlanta if we ended up there, but that doesn't change the fact that it isn't what you wanted so very very badly. Heck, I'll pitch a hissy fit if we end up in Arizona. No offense to the Arizonians...it's just a place I really really don't want to be. We all have the things we care about.

End hijack
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

GMW, you are amazingly strong. I could not imagine doing all that you did during training. But, I can tell you that the grieving process can take years. Yes, it was a decision you agreed to, but that does not imply that you have to like it or even be happy with it. Right for him and right for you can be very different.

Personally, being back in my hometown is the right decision for my family because it makes being a single parent easier. But it is not necessarily the right place for me as an individual. I completely get the dichotomy you have. And it took me more than 3 years to finally be at peace with the situation.
            Kris

Comment

GMW I have to agree with you about Atlanta. I lived there for five years, my mother lived there, and I have two siblings still there. I still hate it every time I visit. Driving there is about as safe as jumping into a viper pit.
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                I suspect I would still disagree with you about Atlanta if we ended up there, but that doesn't change the fact that it isn't what you wanted so very very badly. Heck, I'll pitch a hissy fit if we end up in Arizona. No offense to the Arizonians...it's just a place I really really don't want to be. We all have the things we care about.

End hijack
                We lived in AZ for 4 years and I would explode with soul-sucking rage if we moved back for ANY reason.

We are not happy desert dwellers.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                  GMW, I can tell his decision hurt you, and I'm so sorry. It's such a cruel twist at the end of training, and I really hope something better comes up sooner rather than later.
                  Thanks. It did, and something will. Life goes on.

For reasons utterly unrelated to this thread, yesterday I ended up spending about an hour reading about William Buckley and what happened to him during his 1984 kidnapping. So that quickly put my gripes into perspective!

Comment

Working...
                  X