Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Ebola coming to the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm surprised we don't have a TSA nurse position. They put you in those huge scanners and can see everything. It wouldn't be hard to read someone's body temp. If you have an elevated temp (normal to 100.5) you should be required to see the nurse, symptoms/history assessed, instructed to wear a mask (if URI) in airport and for duration of flight, instructed on reportable symptoms and care. Flight attendants notified and monitoring for compliance. If you have a fever (greater than 100.5) you cannot fly because you are infectious. It seems like an easier, affordable public health intervention, right?

Maybe I'll write a letter...
    Last edited by Ladybug; 10-02-2014, 05:25 AM.
    -Ladybug

Comment

LB, in this case, the pt was not febrile when he flew. He started exhibiting symptoms (fever) about 4 days after he arrived in the states. He was screened when he flew out of Liberia.
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
        LB, in this case, the pt was not febrile when he flew. He started exhibiting symptoms (fever) about 4 days after he arrived in the states. He was screened when he flew out of Liberia.
        This. I saw that they took everyones temp at the airport.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
          Eh, I really don't think it is.

I think he just got really lucky
          He lied on his survey to leave Liberia. He claimed he'd had zero contact with Ebola patients, then came to the US and told the nurse he'd been exposed to Ebola in Liberia. Can't really have it both ways!! Apparently the Liberian government is considering prosecuting him for knowingly leaving the country after being exposed.

Comment

Not surprised to hear that SJ. His story didn't sound right and his nephew has been talking about him needing the same care as everyone else. I think he knew he was at risk of contracting it and his relatives in the US convinced him to come here.
            Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
            Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

And I truly believe there will be many folks behind him...I think travel should be halted until this is under control.
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                And I truly believe there will be many folks behind him...I think travel should be halted until this is under control.
                How would you halt travel? Technically this guy flew from Brussels, not directly from Liberia. But I think you're right, this is only the start of the medical tourism.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                  How would you halt travel? Technically this guy flew from Brussels, not directly from Liberia. But I think you're right, this is only the start of the medical tourism.
                  I have no idea, lol. But there must be a way...
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I'm trying to find matching hazmat suits for my family. How do I find one that will look good with my purse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Veronica
                    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

He lied on his survey to leave Liberia. He claimed he'd had zero contact with Ebola patients, then came to the US and told the nurse he'd been exposed to Ebola in Liberia. Can't really have it both ways!! Apparently the Liberian government is considering prosecuting him for knowingly leaving the country after being exposed.
                      He helped carry a sick 19 year old pregnant woman (poor woman) FOUR DAYS before he left. She died, but they were turned away at the hospital, so they never really could know why. Remember the state of prenatal care in Africa? Apparently this woman was the first in the neighborhood. This man's neighbors got sick...after he left. Sure, he might have had an inkling that it could be ebola, but did he know for sure? I think there is reasonable doubt. But I'm sure he heard about it and correctly assumed it was ebola after he got here.

Not surprised to hear that SJ. His story didn't sound right and his nephew has been talking about him needing the same care as everyone else. I think he knew he was at risk of contracting it and his relatives in the US convinced him to come here.

I believe that it was a long planned trip, or at least a few weeks in advance. Maybe he was planning to stay here illegally--I'd believe that. I highly doubt he got a visa in 4 days.

As for the nephew demanding the same care for his family member. Umm no shit, who wouldn't??

I feel for the guy. He may have come intentionally, but I really think there is a good chance he did not intend to come here with the disease and seek treatment
                      Last edited by SoonerTexan; 10-03-2014, 11:13 AM.
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Initially, the sick woman was thought to be ill from complications of her pregnancy. It wasn't until after he was in the US that they diagnosed her with Ebola.

Comment

So, can someone educate me? One of my (uninformed) concerns with ebola being in the US would be its spread through indirect exposure, such as through sewage. Does anyone know about the potential risks of say, an infected person's bodily fluids getting into our sewage system, which is inevitably not perfect and contaminates public waterways with some regularity, like in 2012 when a treatment plant accidentally dumped thousands of gallons of untreated waste into the Hudson just upstream of Manhattan? What is the life cycle of ebola outside the body in something like bodily fluids or diluted waste? Genuine question, not trying to fear-monger.
                          Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Tara, I would halt travel too. How are we not doing that? At minimum we should be not letting people into the country from West Africa for now. That can be done through the customs/immigration at the airport temporarily until this is over.
                            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I don't think the issue is about hoarding resources. It's about containment. I will happily send funds to medical groups, and I'm so grateful to the doctors, nurses, and support staff there aiding the patients. But the worst thing you can do during an outbreak is to scatter. The best thing for the rest of the people on the planet really is for them to stay put and not introduce it to other countries or continents. Of course they want to flee, and of course they want to go somewhere they have better care, but this is a situation where you must focus on the health of the healthy. I'm sorry if that's cold. I promise I would feel the same way if it were happening in Texas and Africa didn't have the disease yet.
                              Laurie
                              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Very nicely said LM!
                                Tara

Comment

Working...
                                X