Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Calling all Conservatives, Libertarians, Independents, and Non-Liberals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
    I usually engage in these topics but was attacked in another group this week. Without knowing what they were talking about I suddenly became the face of "white feminism". I didn't feel like wasting my evening trying to convince strangers on the internet so I immediately backed down and just apologized. over and over again. It wasn't enough. They wanted to dogpile and school me on how wrong I was. And this was a bunch of liberals. Seriously, if that's how you treat "one of your own" I feel bad for people with opposing viewpoints.

I hope you don't stop coming up with discussions MrsK. It seems like the same people are around as when I first joined, they're just posting less. For myself, I also know I'm not as good at pulling people out and making them talk, but that's not reason to not start new threads. I'll go post one right now.
    Yeah. I hear you. Try being a conservative. Eventually, if we parse everyone into hyper-subcategorized characteristics then proclaim what this subtyping means about them, what we discover is: we are all the opposition.

Comment

I think conversation is a dying art. Today's society makes it way too easy to just tweet, or post on Facebook ( friend only those you agree with) etc. How many of us saw these healthy discussions modeled in our own homes? For me, disagreement equals put downs, condescension, etc. Conflict means screaming. Hence, I bow out of all but innocuous discussions almost everywhere. For awhile, I posted freely on a homeschool site but I got dog piled for being honest, so now I am back to safe topics. To be honest, I do not know how to have an honest disagreement without getting my feelings hurt. I still have trouble that things need to be right or they are wrong. I do understand issues are complex and may have a myriad of issues ( like healthcare). However, when you tell me my views are wrong, it feels personal. It shouldn't. But it does.

So I keep my mouth shut. In real life people have equated Trump with how Christians should vote... Oh my goodness, have you inspected his fruit??? That guy is no more a Christian than Hitler. On the other hand, I believe the homosexual lifestyle to be a sin. So now I am a horrible person to the left. No more a sin than gossiping or adultery or fornication, but a sin none the less... Certainly not a reason to exclude them from church since the church IS a place for sinners, me included. I have my own pet sins. So I feel I fit nowhere in the political landscape. I could only support some of the issues the women were marching for, not all.

Plus, honestly, I am incredibly busy. This past weekend was a disciplieship weekend and I had a house of 15 9th graders and their 3 leaders off and on all weekend. ( Spent the nights here and had some sessions here and others at a different location) I studied about the Age of Reason and previewed Amazing Grace and read 1/2 of a biography that I hope to finish today of William Wilberforce to present to World History this week. I started typing a test for my American History that covers from Jackson to Pierce. I typed my high school choir theory test. I found a game to review the instrument families for my elementary classes to play and ran it off and cut it out and assembled it. I worked on the choreography for my children's choir musical for church. All of that, in between hosting the boys. I didn't have time to really think and debate issues. To be honest, I shouldn't be on here now.

Today immediately after school, I take my daughter to find some shoes and jewelry to go with her dress. She is the sweetheart for the Homecoming celebration this Friday. She has practice for her community theater production of Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe from 6-8:30 tonight. I will go to a local coffee shop and grade so I don't have to drive back and forth. My life is just busy, like many of yours. There is barely time to figure out my classroom lectures, activities,etc, much less think about politics. Though we are discussing it to a certain extent in my history classes....more along the lines of how to change things you do not like in a respectful manner....or should it be respectful? Sometimes when you stand up for what is right, you are not popular. William Wilberforce spent 2 decades trying to get the slave trade outlawed in England... During the war with the French, he was seen as almost a traitor because any mention of personal freedom was linked with the excesses of the French Revolution and anti-Britain. I digress... My mind goes in a million directions.

I appreciate your wanting to discuss, I just don't have time anymore. Off to do more schoolwork before my classes begin.

Comment

I liked what Jon Stewart had to say about the election: http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/stewa...as-racist.html

I personally couldn't vote for him, but I can see how many could. I strongly disagreed with so much of Clinton's platform, so I couldn't vote for her either. A lot of us were in a lose-lose position.
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Working...
        X