Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Taking a knee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
    It's not about minorities protesting. But along those lines, don't tell me where to spend my dollars. Not on NFL stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ? How is the relevant?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
      I know. When you say that you respect my opinion and yours should be respected too, it implies that you think your opinion is not respected. That's why Wendy and I both said we disagree, not disrespect.

On a larger scale, however, when certain public figures make statements that taking the knee is "disrespectful", I hear a dog whistle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      I don't hear a dog whistle.

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

We obviously disagree. I think I'll bow out.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
          I don't hear a dog whistle.

Because, as I said, you are neither a klansman nor a minority.

Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

By definition, a dog whistle has a frequency that only certain animals can hear. The dog hears it. It's prey has learned to recognize it. To everyone else, it makes no sound.

Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post

If a white man told me to kneel during the national anthem I'd tell him to fuck off. Kneeling is such a supplicating position the fact that people are outraged by this is beyond me. This is white privilege at it's core. If you don't want to be part of the problem stop telling minorities how to peacefully protest.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
              Yes, yes, a THOUSAND TIMES YES.
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

...one other addition. Where I live, the dialogue is much more positive as to what is happening and why. Yes the main message (racial injustice and police brutality) has been muddied a bit but that's just smoke and mirrors out here. (West Coast) I'm actually pleasantly surprised that in addition to my neighbors and fellow parents in my community, even my high school daughter and her friends sees the main point of the protests and not the "spin" the president is trying to accomplish.

Honestly, I have heard much more negative comments about Trump getting involved AND his attempt to change the direction of the protest than about the chosen form of protest itself (taking a knee). The conversations I have heard is mainly "how dare he think he can change this to an anthem protest --- does he think we are all idiots --- well I guess he does --" Stuff like that. There has also been a lot of chuckling about taking on the NFL and if Trump wants to keep "his base" of voters it was pretty stupid to go after that group of people.

Non violent protests are SUPPOSED to make us uncomfortable. They are supposed to make us think and assess what the heck the main point is. This protest has done this and more.
                Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Context matters. Trump has been pissed over his lifetime NFL ban for decades. He gleefully does anything to mess with the organization.
                  Last edited by diggitydot; 10-01-2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Well we can all agree Trump is an ass.

Comment

Players didn’t just start taking a knee this season. It’s been going on for a while. What happened this season that has every team trying to navigate this land mine? Trump told the owners to fire their players who are private citizens for exercising their 1A rights.

The protest is over injustice. The increased participation in the protest is a direct result of the president’s statement. He can’t be removed from this scenario now.

Comment

I agree with Kris. This rubs me the wrong way coming from a family with extended services and missed childhoods. Families have sacrified a lot for someone to take the knee peacefully. It's what we all believe in. It's the right our families have sacrified for. I'm proud that you have the right to take the knee peacefully without threat of job or life. Honestly though, it makes me feel angry and offended. It's too wide of a net, and it discounts so many families lives under a broad generalization. I guess that's what is being protested though, broad generalizations. It's created a national dialogue to be sure. Maybe we needed a slap in the face to start talking. Listening...I guess we'll see.
                        -Ladybug

Comment

Literally no one is taking a knee to protest military members. The flag doesn’t represent only those people who’ve served in the armed forces.

It was actually a former Green Beret who asked Kaepernick to take a knee as a sign of respect instead of just sitting.

Comment

But those feelings have been triggered. That flag represents different things to different families. To discount experiences, losses is never fruitful. Isn't that the point of the protests, to see everyone's loses and experiences. I really think it's a good national conversation and effective. It has a trigger response in me, and it's not evolved or positive, but I'm self aware of it and listening. There has to be listening.
                            -Ladybug

Comment

Thank you [MENTION=1048]Ladybug[/MENTION] for saying this more eloquently than I could.

Comment

Working...
                              X