Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Affirmative Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was an education major until I found out that the Social Work majors had less math to do...

So I got my master's in couseling ed and they wouldn't let me work in the schools without a 15 week externship at 40 hours a week- and since I was a grown-up at that point (car loans and bills!) I couldn't afford to let the Carroll County (MD) school system pimp me out for free.

But back to the topic at hand.

Poverty, illness, education, lifeskills, etc. they're all so intertwined that it's very hard to factor in one without considering how all of the others interplay. When you're malnourished or undernourished you can learn so you become distracted in school which then leads to school issues etc, etc. If you or your parents are sick and have no health insurance...it's a giant seething ball of poo that Katrina helped to expose.

AA in the workplace or higher education is all well and good, but we have got to get people fed, clothed and working, too.

Jenn

(and yes, I'm all for people pulling themselves up but ya gotta know how to access resources that are available and we suck at that, too!)

Comment

Back off topic ...

Most teachers work incredibly hard, but there are too many exceptions. I used to teach in an urban alternative learning center and tried everything to engage my 9th & 11th grade students (most of them parents themselves), or to just get them to show up. Some home situations definitely didn't help. Struggling and single parents only had so much time to devote between jobs to their child's education, there were often language bariers, and sometimes the interest just wasn't there. Compensating for the latter is one of the greatest challenges educators face (that and iPods, I feel for you, Laker).

What's most troubling is when 1st graders consistently fail. When this happens at such an early age and there are no learning disabilities or emotional problems, I view it as the system failing the student. When a pattern of failure is started that early, the longer it's allowed to progress, the more difficult it is to stop. I think that's why AA, when not carefuly implemented, sets minorities up for failure. It's too little, too late. The gesture sure is nice, but it's a wet band-aid.

I think Harvard did it right. Not that free tuition for all at Yale was such an awful idea, but I think it's more fiscally responsible Robin Hooding.

Comment

Eeegads, I got logged out! The above post is from dayisme.

Comment

hey girls/guys
          my opinion on this is, I really think it should be based on socio-economic status. If it were based on this, and most happen to be URM then fine. I just know I personally grew up in the inner city, my mother was 17 when she had me (and only got passed the 8th grade). Anyways, I would say it is even more difficult to come from a poor non URM background, because basically you are put on the exact same level as kids with prep schools, SAT courses, educated families, ettc. No one cares (or so it seems) that you were actually discouraged from getting an education, or never even knew SAT courses existed, or didnt have food in your fridge at times, or that your parent was in prison, welll I agree with someone who was saying the poor black I know dont even seem to be benefiting as much as the wealthy ones (in my experience). I had several black friends in c in college who were on scholarshop and grants, that were very veryt wealthy. What is more, many of them were not even from the US (which AA should have worked to equal out the injustices placed on black americans from slavery and repression). I dont know why the system does this, it makes no sense to not only give it to wealthy URMS, but non american URMS.
          By the way, I know someone said they were poor and felt different from URMs in the city. I am the opposite. I always feel more comfortable around people who grew up with similiar areas/backgrounds. A lot of people say that certain people dont know what its like to be a minority, but many of us come from backgrounds that were probably persecuted throughout time (sorry my spelling is aweful Anyways, I dont know what the answer is. I do know I wish I were given some of the money/prestige/opportunities that some people think "whites" are somehow all given. Heck, I know I am still very poor No one ever gave me anything. School was difficult financially and I only went to State school (though I got a good education). I am in grad school now and my family still doesnt undertstand why I am in school still. They certainly are always bringing up their concern over me applying (and hopefully going to med school. They just dont see the point of persuing higher education vs working.
          Anyways, I dont know if this makes sense and I dont mean to offend anyone these are just my personal experiences and of course I could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
          X