Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Bad day at work means pay cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad day at work means pay cut

WWYD

Today my boss confronted me in a ‘jerk the rug out from beneath you’ kind of way. Big surprise. Backstory: I write 98% of neuropsych reports for her and over the last couple of years she has raked me over the coals demanding a level of perfection she herself cannot deliver. On the occasions she gets a report out and I edit it, it is full of big errors.

So anyway, today she accused me of taking up to 12 hours to write a report this summer. She told me she won’t pay me a salary anymore and would offer me a Per report payment that she did not disclose but I know won’t be much.

In my boss’s calculation of what I do at work, she did not count time spent filling in for the office manager, writing DA’s and prior authorizations, time spent writing therapy notes or time spent preparing for a patient. She was a complete dick and treated me like an incompetent, “distracted” employee.

She was on the phone all afternoon because her purse and phone were stolen. She just dropped the bomb on me and asked me to leave her office.

I feel like shit. I feel like putting a letter of resignation on her desk this weekend and never coming back. But I have no money and no job leads. Wwyd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PrincessFiona; 09-06-2018, 05:04 PM.
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Honestly? I would resign and find a way to make things work without the money and job. Is the reduced payment enough to even cover your expenses? Is there anything at all you like about the job?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
      Honestly? I would resign and find a way to make things work without the money and job. Is the reduced payment enough to even cover your expenses? Is there anything at all you like about the job?

I don’t like anything about the job anymore. I can’t imagine what she is willing to pay for a report. Awhile back, she looked into a service. They asked for $100/report and she said no because it was too much. Another professional writer turned her down with no money on the table after being shown a sample. She said the reports were “too complicated.” They are! Some reports can be written in 3 hours. Others are thick files full of medical and psychological reports that take 8 hours.

I’m looking into a part-time skills worker position. I have to be able to pick up the kids from school. It pays crap, but apparently so does this. I can’t believe she didn’t even tell me what she’ll pay me.

I know it’s terrible not to give at least two weeks notice but I just don’t know how to go back.

Comment

I mean, it's not like she gave you notice about cutting your pay. I don't think she deserves any kind of courtesy at this point.

Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I mean, it's not like she gave you notice about cutting your pay. I don't think she deserves any kind of courtesy at this point.

This. Completely. Or you could counter-offer. “You know, I think a per report position is great for me. I’ll be working from home, on my timeline, I’ll get back to you in the next few days with my cost for a per-report position.”

Take the reins, you’ve nothing to lose.
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

We can’t absorb the lost income. The private school and college tuitions are too much. DH won’t consider not sending the little ones to SJP. That decision has been made now anyway. I have to generate income to pay my bills.

I don’t think Holly deserves notice either.

I’m scared about what to do. I have nothing to go to.

Comment

But is it even going to be enough income to make a difference?

Comment

But is it even going to be enough income to make a difference?

No. Either way things are going to get bad. I have to find something fast that has flexible hours.

Kris

Comment

Then it seems like you might as well quit and at least enjoy some time with your family while you look for something else.

Comment

I mean, what would y'all do if you got fired or her practice folded? The lost income would be absorbed somehow.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                      Or you could counter-offer. “You know, I think a per report position is great for me. I’ll be working from home, on my timeline, I’ll get back to you in the next few days with my cost for a per-report position.”
                      Absolutely. Tell her you'll do the reports for $x apiece, from home. Take it or leave it.
                      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                      Let's go Mets!

Comment

Originally posted by fluffhead View Post
                        Absolutely. Tell her you'll do the reports for $x apiece, from home. Take it or leave it.
                        This is genius!
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                          This. Completely. Or you could counter-offer. “You know, I think a per report position is great for me. I’ll be working from home, on my timeline, I’ll get back to you in the next few days with my cost for a per-report position.”

Take the reins, you’ve nothing to lose.
                          Genius!!!
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Yep, when she failed to give you a number, she left the ball in your court. I know it's tough and that anxiety monster is screaming in your ears, but you have to stand strong. You can do this.
                            Alison

Comment

Call her bluff. She believes that you're desperate to accept anything. She doesn't have many options either. Counter with what Fluff has proposed. You got nothing to lose.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X