Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Parenthood & your age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was 26, DH was 27.

I was 28 for #2, and will be 30 for #3.

I agree about the "normal" age of parenthood being regional. In my playgroup and of my "mom" friends in Richmond, I was by far the youngest. I think the next youngest was probably at least 5 years older than myself. Here in Iowa I am practically an old geezer. Everyone seems to get married very young and start popping out kiddies right away. And lots of them!
    Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

Dh and I were both 28 when our dd was born and 30 when ds was born. We were married at 24.

My parents were 27 (me) and 29 (sister) when they became parents and 21 when they married. I believe Dh's parents were 29 and 28 when they first became parents.
      Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

Chad and I were both 20.

My mom was 18, and my dad was 21.

Chad's mom was 19, and his dad was 19.

All still married.

Who says young love can't last?
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I was 26, 29, and 32. DH was 24, 27, and 30. We had been married almost five years when we had our first.

My mom was 2 weeks away from turning 24 when she had me (I am the oldest of four for my mom, six for my dad) and my dad was 36. DH's mom was 25 when she had him and his dad was almost 24. He is also the oldest, of three boys.

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

My mom & dad were 27 when they had me, I was 23 when she died at 50.

My dad's parents were 40 when he was born, which was considered really old in 1945! They'd never wanted kids and had him to "fix" their marriage after my grandfather had strayed while in Europe during WWII as a reporter for the AP.

Comment

I was 27 and my husband was just shy of 29.

My parents were 29 -- a few years ago when my brother (born when they were 33) was still living at home, my mom told me that she felt too old to still have kids at home, and urged me to consider starting a family sooner than they had.
              Alison

Comment

27 (me) and 28 (dh)

My parents were 20 when they had their first....still happily married!

Comment

My parents were 19 when they had their first (my sister), my ILs were 26. DH and I are hoping for 31.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I was 30, DH was 28.

My mom was 22, my dad 21. Not sure about DH's parents, though I know it was in their early 20s too.
                    Married to pediatric surgery fellow, SAHM to 2 munchkins

Comment

Short Answer: I was 38 and my husband was 37.

Long Answer: I was 36 when we started the adoption process and he was 35. We were 33 and 32 when we married.

My parents were 23 and 24 when they had me and 25 and 26 when they had my brother. (Married at 20 and 21 but mom was three weeks away from turning 21)

My husband's parents were 17 (mom) and 21 (dad) when they had their first, one year older when they had their second (to the day a year later) and his mom was 23 when they adopted my husband. (They had the Rh factor problem and got very lucky with his second sister) They met she she was twelve and he was sixteen, were married when she was 16 and divorced when he decided he didn't feel like being a married father of three at age 28. and apparently the getting married and staying married became a problem for him. My husband thinks he's on wife number four.

Jenn

Comment

I was 21, 24, 27, and 30 for each of my births (24 was twins).

DH was 20, 23, 26, and 29.

Yup, we were the proud parents of FIVE kiddos by the age of 30! (And, yes we used birth control - that's why the pregnancies were all spaced three years apart ).

My parents were 20 (my mom) and 25 (my dad) when I was born - I am the oldest of four children.

My husband's parents? I *think* they were around 22 (his mom) and 27-28 (his dad) when they had their first. My DH was #4 out of eight children.

My parents are still married. My husband's parents would still be married if my fil were alive.
                        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                        With fingernails that shine like justice
                        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I think Heidi is the only one so far who started having children at an earlier age than me.

Am I wrong?
                          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                          With fingernails that shine like justice
                          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

us 25/26
                            my folks 30/30
                            his folks 27ish

my mom was told she'd never have children...i was an oops while dating my dad (still together)

his mom had many miscarriages before him...they had tried 6 years or so

we are young parents compared to our 'more educated' (med/vet/law) friends...and old parents compared to the 'southerners'

i always wanted to be a younger mom than my mom was...but i learned later that her life didn't follow the plan
                            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

me- 31, 33, 36 (married at 30)
                              DH- 32, 34, 37

my parents- 18 and 21
                              ILs-mid-twenties
                              Needs

Comment

This is interesting. We are not the only ones to have left it a while.
                                DH and I married at 21 and are hoping to start a family soon, so fingers crossed we'll be 30-ish.
                                Very few of our married/committed friends our age have kids.
                                My parents were 25 and 27, though had been trying for several years before I came along.
                                Think DH's parents were also in their mid-20's.

Comment

Working...
                                X