Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Shoes fabulous shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vishenka69
    Who's Amelda?
    I think she means Imelda Marcos, who was the wife of Ferdinand Marcos, former president of the Phillippines. She owned over 1000 pairs of shoes.

She is quoted as saying
    "What's wrong with shoes? I collected them because it was like a symbol of thanksgiving and love?" -- Associated Press article, in The Eye, November 1997
    Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Meanwhile, she and her dictator husband Ferdinand had plunged the Phillipines into abject poverty. There was a big uproar and everyone was afraid the country would plunge into civil war.

(of course, Marcos was yet another puppet government initially set up by the Americans which later backfired on us)

jenn

Comment

The Nordstrom Rack in Seattle (about 3 blocks away from the actual Nordstrom flagship store) is a great place for shoe steals. I haven't been there in a long time, but when I was there last, I picked up some classic black Ferragamo heels for under $100!!! They're so beautiful and I have yet to wear them. Dh is always threatening to sell them on ebay.
        I've also picked up some Taryn Rose heels for under $100. I have two pairs. They're comfortable heels. I will not wear sneakers. I'm only 5 feet tall; they make me look like a kid. I like Linea Paolo at Nordstrom. They've got some cute, reasonably-priced shoes.

I won't wear Uggs (butt-ugly), nor do I like the equestrian tuck your jeans into your ugly Uggs/cowboy boots/other boots. I'm fine if you're a horseback rider, but for some reason, it doesn't belong in the city.
        I got a pair of crocs for my birthday, and thought they were interesting. They're gooey. Interesting...

My feet are all messed up from having done ballet for years, that I literally don't recognize pain in my feet. I don't feel blisters, don't recognize when they've popped, etc. It was only when I had the ingrown nail a little while ago, that I freaked out, because I had let it fester for so long.

Birkenstocks are a butt ugly German creation, but they're so comfortable! They're great for after a pedicure or when you've got tired feet. I have a pair of red Arizonas!
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

If I'm going to wear "comfortable" shoes, it will be my Rainbows. That's it.

Oh, and my Uggs, which aren't boots, but more like slippers.

Comment

Neiman Marcus Last Call and OFF 5TH (Saks' outlet) are also fantastic places to get great shoes. I always see Ferragamos there(NMLC) but alas my feet problems won't allow me to wear them

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, if you go to an actual Ferragamo store, you can have a mold made of your foot. The mold gets sent to Italy, and they keep it on file for whenever you want shoes. Custom-made. It's expensive, but I think I've thrown out at least 10 Ferragamos worth of shoes becuase I've settled for cheap pumps.
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

My problem is not finding comfortable shoes but rather affording them. My current love and obsession is Siegerson Morrison. His shoes and boots are the most comfortable ever. So far I only have 2 pairs of boots and one pair of shoes, but I'm planning on expanding my collection as soon as I find another pair on sale.

Comment

Yeh, my DH thinks I have a lot of shoes now, just wait until I can really afford them. I love shoes I just have a hard time spending much on them right now. :>
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Amiens
                    Originally posted by medpedspouse
                    I love birks & mephistos BUT I must wear a suit to work each day and need something a little more dressy. I have found the cole-haan nike air to be a comfort/stylish solution....same with clarks. Anyone else tried these?
                    The Mephistos I have are all from their city or dressy line. I have a pair of really cute black pumps, and to think of it all of the ones I own would work with suits.
                    What!! - I must check them out!!! I sometimes forget that just because the brick & mortar stores don't carry something doesn't mean that it does not exists. Thanks! I am google-ing them as soon as log off.
                    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I love birks & mephistos BUT I must wear a suit to work each day and need something a little more dressy. I have found the cole-haan nike air to be a comfort/stylish solution....same with clarks. Anyone else tried these?
                      The Mephistos I have are all from their city or dressy line. I have a pair of really cute black pumps, and to think of it all of the ones I own would work with suits.
                      What!! - I must check them out!!! I sometimes forget that just because the brick & mortar stores don't carry something doesn't mean that it does not exists. Thanks! I am google-ing them as soon as log off.
                      Check out Zappos.com that is my source for my Mephistos. Also check out http://www.mephisto.com which will show their current line.
                      Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

You're fighting over shoes.

Me? Five kids and I wear three inches of heel every chance I get!!!

I spent four days this past week walking the streets of Boston and Hyannis in four inch heels (my favorite boots). I'm 5'5" but I LOVE to add an extra few inches to my legs. And, I love the way those extra inches make me look longer and leaner.

Now, admittedly, my shoes are NOT the priciest as a rule. I tend to go for the much less expensive knock-offs or copies of the current "hot" shoes/boots. I have never, ever owned a pair of Birkenstocks. HOWEVER I do love Born shoes. They are very, very comfy and tend to have a few "looks" every season that are fashionable - not dowdy.

Not to diss on the Birk folks, though - my sister adores those things! And, you know what? She's three inches taller than me so she can get away with flat and mega-comfy/crunchy!!! In fact, it looks downright hot on her! Yes, a part of me is jealous!

Anyway, I think I lean more towards the Vishenka/Stella side of The Great Shoe Debate. And, honestly, this is the funniest disagreement I've seen in a LONG time!!!

Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                        With fingernails that shine like justice
                        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Vishenka and Stella,

As I have told you before, if you are hosting a weekend retreat, I will need the whole weekend. I would probably make it on an episode of What Not to Wear. I can clean up a bit, but most of the time, I don't bother.

Anyway, I can't have others encrouching on my valuable makeover time. :>
                          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher
                            Vishenka and Stella,

As I have told you before, if you are hosting a weekend retreat, I will need the whole weekend. I would probably make it on an episode of What Not to Wear. I can clean up a bit, but most of the time, I don't bother.

Anyway, I can't have others encrouching on my valuable makeover time. :>
                            Heidi when can we start? DH decided last night that he most likely won't be able to handle vacation before the boards, so I'll have a few weeks to kill this summer. The only thing is that Stella and I don't give out $5,000 Visa cards to participants. :>

Comment

I also forgot to mention that Mephisto resoles for life, on any shoe from their lines.

As for Tabula Rasa wearing 3 inch heels while chasing after 5 kids- WOW! you go woman. Dh would have to hook me up to an IV filled with a heavy duty pain reliever for me to do that.

I have to agree my mom didn't teach me that I had to look all glammed up before I left the house. Granted I didn't get to wear any make-up until I turned 16. For the first time in my married life I am getting a hair cut and highlights every 2-3 months. Whereas before it was once a year I got my haircut. Now to say I don't try to look somewhat respectful and not like a homeless bum before I leave the house to run errands on some days.

I will go back to wearing my frumpy Danskos, nasty looking Uggs, or my crunchy Mephistos.
                              Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Realistically I am barefoot around the house and wear satin ballet flats for errands.

But, oh boy! Do I ever wear the heels when I can!

Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                                With fingernails that shine like justice
                                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Working...
                                X