Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

waaaaah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by medpedspouse
    I have heard that you actually use more gas by turning your A/C off and rolling down your windows because your car is no longer as aerodynamic as it could be. I have not researched this belief so I do not know if it is fact. Anyone heard it too? Or can disprove or prove??
    Similarly, it's my understanding that starting the car takes about as much gas as idling for 3 minutes. So if you anticipate being stopped for less time than that, it's probably OK to idle. But, we routinely turn the car off for trains because they tend to take a lot longer than 3 minutes!

I believe that 55 mph and gradual stops and starts are helpful. I'd have to see a Mythbusters episode for the others. (I don't think coasting in neutral is helpful if the car is still running, for example!)
    Alison

Comment

OK, I will no longer bitch about gas prices. I only paid $3.05/gallon this morning.

Comment

I've heard that too about the a/c versus rolling down windows. I wonder if it varies with speed?

Comment

Nellie- the Mythbusters did a story on AC vs. windows but of course my addled brain can't remember what they figured out.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
            Nellie- the Mythbusters did a story on AC vs. windows but of course my addled brain can't remember what they figured out.

Jenn
            I think they pretty much determined that 2 cars( I htink they used suvs or trucks) going the same distance @ the same rate of speed, both went dry (otts gas)@ the same time...when they threw other variables in there, I think there were some minor diffrences...correct me if I am wrong, but that's what I recall from watching it!

Comment

Gasoline makes up a very small portion of our budget. Prices will have to rise much more before my driving practices will change. Sucks for you all, though.

Comment

Apparently, Chicago's got the highest prices in the country. I haven't seen anything below 3.89 in the past week or so. Dh will be on home call this month, so it'll hurt a bit more than usual if he has to go in 2+ times per day.
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

$3.89! Wow! We're at around $3.30 here and it's killing me. Why did I buy an SUV again??

Comment

So - our prices have fallen by over a dime in the past week! Are the rest of you seeing the same? We're at $2.89 most places, $2.85 sometimes.

Still not great, but worlds better.

Comment

I found one for 2.94 but most places are still over 3 around here.

Comment

Our lowest is 2.62. I know, you all hate me. I still hate paying that much. We never got over $3 here.
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

We're under three but I don't know how much because I filled both cars last week and only buy gas when they're both empty because I hate going to the gas station.

That is definitely going to be added to my husband's chore list when he get home- washing and gassing up the cars.

Jenn

Comment

We're down to $2.84.
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                            X