Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Do you swear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you swear?

Cuss, curse, etc.?

I find that I swear a lot, more than my husband who is around people who swear all the time. I think it is very, very common in the medical community.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Re: Do you swear?

Like a sailor.

It's sort of a requirement in social services. We drop the F bomb a lot in the comfort of our own offices- never in front of clients though.

J.

Comment

I voted: Heck no! Unless you count all the pseudo-swear-words.

I'm such a Mormon.
      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
      With fingernails that shine like justice
      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild
        I'm a rarely. I don't have a huge problem with swearing, but I dislike overkill. Words mean more if they are used sparingly.
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I'm an all the timer. I use them like normal words in normal conversation.....the Southern moms I've met gasp a little when I start talking. I've tried to rein it in a little now that Daegan talks more, but it's useless most of the time.

I don't in front of clients and I try really!! hard not to in front of other's children....but otherwise I let 'em rip.
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
            Like a sailor.

It's sort of a requirement in social services. We drop the F bomb a lot in the comfort of our own offices- never in front of clients though.

J.
            This is SO TRUE! Although, sometimes my clients will drop the F bomb during session, and I've been known to drop it a few times myself.

At home DH and I swear like truck drivers. Never in front of our kids, though. I learned my lesson when my daughter was 2 years old.

We were driving across the interstate bridge here in Portland, and a semi truck cut right in front of us and almost caused a huge accident. My daughter, from the back seat, yelled: "fucking truck!". So, not only did she use the ultimate cuss word, but she used the proper syntax as well! She was TWO! That was my lesson that it was now time to censor the way I spoke in front of her.
            Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

I've got a potty mouth. Unfortunately, I've had to reign it in lately... one of the twinks started talking recently and says a word that sounds suspiciously like "sh*t".

Comment

With dear friends, I let it rip. In most conversations, however, I can limit myself to most of the milder curses.

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I picked rarely. I swear in traffic or on other rare occasions when I'm really frustrated - never directed toward anyone, though (except in traffic). I also swear when I'm relating a funny story or something to DH, when it's "appropriate."

DH swears more than I do, but it's part of how he relates to his colleagues (differs for different specialties, I've decided - peds residents rarely swear, IMO!).

The only time I'm very offended by swearing is when it's directed in anger at another person. I don't think that's ever ok - which is why DH gets on my case for swearing in traffic. I figure it's really directed at cars, not real people.

Comment

I'm an "all the time". When I worked in the ER it was much worse, now I can contain it when I need to. I must have done OK at home because neither one of my daughters curses very much.
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                      My sister's eyes were opened when her 2 yr old daughter from the backseat of the SUV asked, "Mommy, what's that prick doing?"
                      Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

I voted rarely. Especially not in front of the kids, almost entirely in traffic - when it feels so good. (I've seen the most spectacular cases of road rage here - on Mayfield, JennP)

Once when DS was 2-3 he spilled something and said "damn, damn, damn!" I really started watching what I say then. DH almost never cusses.

One of my former coworkers would replace cuss words with similar sounding words, like
                        "Got.Dandruff.SomeOfItItches!"

Comment

I used to swear -- then I had kids.

YES I have let the occasional DAMMIT escape from my lips but only when I drop a can of soup on my toe or bend back one of my fingernails trying to get a ponytail in DD's hair. I'm such a MOM.

Now when I'm with JUST the ladies I hang with...I drop an occasional four letter word. Absolutely.
                          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

yeppers. i'm a swearing girl. i can limit it, tho..when around certain people or places. dh and i try very hard not to swear in front of the babes too.

but yeah...they're all over the "asshole!" when another driver does something when i'm driving. shit is another they have said....and J.C. that they get from dh. that's not something i say.

when i'm home, in vermont....everyone! swears, and F seems to be the favorite choice. when my friend went home with me in april, she comented that she had never heard the F word so much in her life.

a conversation for example..could be a simple weather question.

'dude! did you see that fucking rain storm yesterday!? holy fuck,yeah. that shit was something else! i couldnt fucking belive my eyes. that fucker looked like it was going to fucking wash my fucking car right down the fucking driveway! FUCK! that was cool!! fuck yeah!!' (seriously. that is how they talk. i grew up around farmers, and horse people. i knew swear words in dutch, french, and flemish before i knew how to talk in english. )

(okay, i now feel dirty typing that out)

the only swear words that are really off limits in mine, and dh's vocab are cee u next tuesday, t*at and p*ssy. i hate those words. they're discusting, unless used VERY appropriately...like, 'my MIL is a cee u next tuesday.' that, IMO, is VERY appropriate.
                            ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

co*k-sucker is also a word i don't like. i have some family members who use that and the F word more than any other word in the english language.
                              ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Working...
                              X