Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Early Voting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Early Voting?

On the national news tonight they said they are expecting 25% of the vote to be in before election day.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

It was our first time voting in FL. Luckily, my cousin called me in the morning and warned that it was a long wait. We brought a cooler with snacks, beach chairs and water. Our district actually had chairs and was distributing water. It was a 2 1/2 hour wait, everyone was civil, *no* political discussion at all. :huh: I say not too bad!!

Comment

We can't vote early here without a qualified reason. I'll be voting on election day. Schools are out that day, and I haven't decided if I am going to take the kids or not. Normally, I would. I am afraid I could be there for HOURS though, and I don't want to deal with the kids in line for that long. Polls open at 7:00 a.m., and I know Alexia won't be awake by then. I figure that if I go early, I have a better chance of a shorter line. If I take the kids, Alexia will surely be a bear if I have to wake her up to go. If I wait till a little later, I could be in line for 5 hours or more. Two years ago (not even a presidential election), the lines took four hours. I am scared of what's to come.

Those of you going on election day, do you have a battle plan?
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

We went and voted early on Wednesday. We took the kids and I was expecting a line but to my surprise we were in and out within 20 minutes! I asked one of the ladies working there if they had been busy and she said they have just had a steady flow of people. I am not sure if that's bad news meaning we're not getting good voter turnout, or if everyone is just waiting for Tuesday. I can't complain since we were psyched it was quick and painless. :huh:
          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I'm going to the DMV tomorrow to straighten out my ID situation so it doesn't hurt me at the polls. (They've never asked me for ID before here, but this would be the election that they start. ) I figure the DMV should give me line waiting practice.

On Tuesday, our kids have a half day. Great planning, huh? I don't think that three hours will be enough time to ensure that we'll be in and out and still ready for school. I will probably just go for the three hours that they are in school and be prepared to wait. We've never had a line here. Most of the neighbors I've spoken to about this think it would be surprising to have lines. :huh: (Of course, they were shocked to hear about lines in downtown Cleveland. ) I hope they are right. I'd love to be in and out...but I'm prepared to wait if necessary. Since the polls are at the kid's school, I've just told the kids to come meet me if I don't pick them up.

ETA: I think I'll start the new mystery I have sitting on my shelf tomorrow at the DMV!
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

This must stop. We received eight political phone calls yesterday and two today. A volunteer just came to my door asking my son whether I had voted.

I'm so over this election.

Kelly
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf
                This must stop. We received eight political phone calls yesterday and two today. A volunteer just came to my door asking my son whether I had voted.

I'm so over this election.

Kelly
                For the last two weeks, we seriously get 2-3 phone calls an hour! We don't answer them, so at least once a day I have to empty our answering machine because it's full! It pisses me off that they are calling as late as 9 p.m.. I too am so over this election!
                Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild
                  Originally posted by Vanquisher
                  Polls open at 7:00 a.m., and I know Alexia won't be awake by then. I figure that if I go early, I have a better chance of a shorter line.
                  No, no - go in the middle of the day (but not at lunch time). Lines are traditionally their worst early and late, because people go around their work schedules. The fact that you can go in the middle of the day is a huge advantage for you - use it!

I am going early and hoping for the best, because I can't miss more than an hour of work really. I don't think my precinct will be too bad, but I'm bringing a book just in case.

Thanks for the tip. I was going to go downstairs to have a peek at the line at 7am. Now I know that I can sleep in and go around 1 or 2pm.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

We got a call at 8:15pm last night, that was the latest they had called. We just got our first door to door person, I didn't answer it but she was wearing a McCain/Palin t-shirt. From talking to the few people at our party last night it sounds like we're very lucky to have not received door to door people previously.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We're in NC and the number of calls coming in is insane. We had a call at 9:50 last night! We screen our calls and when the machine picked up, the woman went on and on about how cute our outgoing message is....at 9:50 PM! She's lucky she didn't wake the kids.

We had our first door-to-door person today.

Comment

I wish I could have voted early - we live in Philly now and after all of the campaigning I am scared to know how long I am going to have to wait in line.

Comment

So....to report the the continuing saga of my ID issue...

I went to the B of Motor Vehicles today and the computers are down STATEWIDE in Ohio. No photo IDs available. The phone lines are busy, Columbus is not updating them at the BMV, and three people in line with me said that they were also there to update ID for the election tomorrow. We were all turned away. I'm feeling better since I did find a utility bill that will be accepted at the poll. (Since all my bills are now "paperless" I didn't have a bank statement, utility bill etc that had been mailed to the house. I found my water bill! *phew* )

My conspiracy theory bells are a'ringing. Look for me in an upcoming MSNBC expose.

I will be heading back to the BMV now and just sitting there until I have to pick up the kids. I have already sent email to BO OH, Brunner and the Plain Dealer to complain/report. I'm such a pain in the ass. I'm going to be a nightmare retiree.
                          Angie
                          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

And to think that some people could easily vote but still choose not to...good luck!

Comment

Thanks for digging up that report, Cassy! I did wonder about the passport (have that) but I was told no. Obviously, that's because it lacks the address.

I have to say....I got email back from both the Barack Obama Ohio office and the national campaign within two hours of my "complaint". I think they are on this "get out the vote" thing. They both said that if I had trouble on election day, they have teams of lawyers standing by. Just call. Wow. I feel so....served.

How weird that a cable was cut.....in TEXAS!! That does *not* help my conspiracy theory fantasies go away!
                              Angie

Comment

How was it?

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                                X