Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The term "Pimped" used by the medical field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put the kibosh on the word "cadaver" during dinner in med school. Now, I just take a few steps away from him and pretend I don't know him when he starts to loudly inquire "is it your vagina? What does it look like?" whilst we walk through Target. You get hardened. I hear "Are you passing gas? Have you had a bowel movement?" in his phone conversations all.the.time. Good times.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
      How many got the details of the medical school cadaver? Lima beans, baby. Luckily there is nothing gross to talk about anymore. Sad, scary, hopeful- yes. But he's not looking at people's insides except via EEG these days.
      I distinctly remember having dinner with my brother during his first year of medical school when they were doing disections. He was telling me all about it and how embalmed cadavers looked different than those that were not embalmed. All the while he was unconsious of the fact that I was loosing my appetite.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

DH loves to tell the story of his cadaver, in which he found the ACTUAL cause of death vs. what was reported on the first autopsy (heart attack). It was some rare bowel disorder (where the bowel fills with blood and kills you instantly), and his med school professors had him write up his find for a journal.
        Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Originally posted by migirl View Post
          Ha ha, talk to me about what kind of dinner conversation we have... Lots of penises, testicles, urine output (what color was it? like a merlot?) ... good times.
          Seriously, you're not kidding!! We have the same dinner conversations here, and DH's sons and my daughter are RIVETED by them.

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole3 View Post
            I think we need to start a thread of funny stories..... I think that is my favorite part of medicine is hearing the stories... and in law I have learned that you have to laugh at the crazy clients or you'll go nuts yourself (I don't do family law, but a bunch of the lawyers at my firm do and oh the stories they have!)
            We do, I started it a few months ago. You may have to look for it on the second or third page, in the Call Room.

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
              DH had a guy today with a mass on his lung who was schizophrenic. He went to tell the guy that he need to hang around for a CT Scan, and he said, "That's fine, doc. I just want to make sure that my father is disposed of."

turns out, dad's been dead for 15 years. But where is he? Where, indeed.
              Isn't there some sort of urban legend about Keith Richards snorting his father's ashes?
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                Isn't there some sort of urban legend about Keith Richards snorting his father's ashes?
                I read somewhere that it's fact, and not an urban legend.
                Last edited by weeniegeniewife; 07-10-2009, 07:51 PM.

Comment

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17933669/

But he denies it a few days later...

So, who really knows!

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                    I put the kibosh on the word "cadaver" during dinner in med school. Now, I just take a few steps away from him and pretend I don't know him when he starts to loudly inquire "is it your vagina? What does it look like?" whilst we walk through Target. You get hardened. I hear "Are you passing gas? Have you had a bowel movement?" in his phone conversations all.the.time. Good times.
                    Good lord yes. And os course when you have an older patient population like G-O, you need to speak REALLY LOUDLY. Just today I had to plead with DH "Please do not scream vagina whilst standing in the order line at Panera".
                    Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malpka View Post
                      Good lord yes. And os course when you have an older patient population like G-O, you need to speak REALLY LOUDLY. Just today I had to plead with DH "Please do not scream vagina whilst standing in the order line at Panera".
                      I didn't realize this need to be in the warning label for Gyn Onc careers!!! I thought it was just my DH's lack of concern for public opinion. I'd never considered the hard of hearing bit!

Oh - and you don't EVER want to look at my DH's camera phone roll. He uses that to document cases - and occasionally take pictures of the kids - that I can never, ever show anyone without printing out.
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

• LOL OMG, Angie!!!!

Kris
                        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

• DH brought home a new term today "turf"

Apparently he was getting an insane amount of pages on call last night from nurses who wanted to turf a patient. Basically shove the patient off to another service.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                            I didn't realize this need to be in the warning label for Gyn Onc careers!!! I thought it was just my DH's lack of concern for public opinion. I'd never considered the hard of hearing bit!

Oh - and you don't EVER want to look at my DH's camera phone roll. He uses that to document cases - and occasionally take pictures of the kids - that I can never, ever show anyone without printing out.
                            lol. Nothing better than the awesome-ness of dh's gyn onc pictures flashing through on our desk top screen saver. Good gawd. They're huge and discusting things. And of course there are play by play pictures.
                            Incision
                            removal
                            shit eating grin while holding it up
                            placing large discusting tumor or thing in bowl
                            scalpel puncturing thing
                            gush of thing
                            thing lying there...

Awesome.
                            ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

• Turf is a common in-hospital phrase, still used today in my world. Usually in reference to the ER who would like to get this crazy parent of a possibly seizing child out of their ER as quickly as possible.

Jenn

Comment

• Well...There's a consent form for photos that everyone signs...And they're on my computer because he had to do a power point presentation for grand rounds.
                                ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Working...
                                X