Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

iMSN "Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I realize this isn't the main point of this thread... but after catching up on the posts since last night, just had to comment on the Indian mixed marriage thing. Figured I'd share that I'm part of that group too. I'm white, hubbie is Indian-American. We got married in 2003 and did two full blown traditional ceremonies in one day. It was crazy, but I still look back and am glad with did it that way. Had the Hindu ceremony in the morning with the entire bridal party and my family decked out in Indian clothes. Then had a major costume change and had the traditional Christian ceremony, tuxedos, white dress ceremony in the afternoon.

Also - Jenn - have to comment on the fact that you were called Jane for so long... My first name is actually Joellen and my inlaws have struggled with it from day one. In fact, the first birthday card I got from them 10 years ago was addressed to "Joe-Allen." DH and I still laugh about that. So, way back then, just to save everyone some grief, from the time I was introduced in their community we've just told everyone my name is Jo to make it easy.

I lucked out I guess. His parents stopped trying to match him up with other Bengali's after he admitted to them that we were actually dating and not just "good friends." They pretty much group the world into Bengali's and non-Bengali's. They were realistic and accepted the fact that he'd probably have a hard time finding a Bengali wife for a "love marriage" (their term for non-arranged marriages). Ultimately they said a white American girl was really no different than any other non-Bengali (ie. Gujuarit, Punjabi, etc) in their eyes, so they just accepted it. Actually, they more than just accepted it, they welcomed me with open arms. I've been pretty lucky.

Now we're expecting our first child in early October and everyone on both sides is sooooo excited to see what she will look like. It's so hard to predict!
    Attorney, wife to EM attending, mom to two girls (ages 5 and 2)

Comment

Originally posted by JC76 View Post
      I realize this isn't the main point of this thread... but after catching up on the posts since last night, just had to comment on the Indian mixed marriage thing. Figured I'd share that I'm part of that group too. I'm white, hubbie is Indian-American. We got married in 2003 and did two full blown traditional ceremonies in one day. It was crazy, but I still look back and am glad with did it that way. Had the Hindu ceremony in the morning with the entire bridal party and my family decked out in Indian clothes. Then had a major costume change and had the traditional Christian ceremony, tuxedos, white dress ceremony in the afternoon.

Also - Jenn - have to comment on the fact that you were called Jane for so long... My first name is actually Joellen and my inlaws have struggled with it from day one. In fact, the first birthday card I got from them 10 years ago was addressed to "Joe-Allen." DH and I still laugh about that. So, way back then, just to save everyone some grief, from the time I was introduced in their community we've just told everyone my name is Jo to make it easy.

I lucked out I guess. His parents stopped trying to match him up with other Bengali's after he admitted to them that we were actually dating and not just "good friends." They pretty much group the world into Bengali's and non-Bengali's. They were realistic and accepted the fact that he'd probably have a hard time finding a Bengali wife for a "love marriage" (their term for non-arranged marriages). Ultimately they said a white American girl was really no different than any other non-Bengali (ie. Gujuarit, Punjabi, etc) in their eyes, so they just accepted it. Actually, they more than just accepted it, they welcomed me with open arms. I've been pretty lucky.

Now we're expecting our first child in early October and everyone on both sides is sooooo excited to see what she will look like. It's so hard to predict!
      This is funny. Once you're in the private rooms we'll start another thread.

Comment

I have no doubt that there's much we have to share....
        Attorney, wife to EM attending, mom to two girls (ages 5 and 2)

Comment

I've been various things through the long years (decade?).

Rapunzel is the one I've settled upon and like the best.

The name comes from the following story: When we were moving into a new place years back the little boy of the woman who would become my good friend told his mom, "She looks like Rapunzel in the book we just read." And, I guess I did have a whole lot of hair back then. That same child wouldn't recognize me today. But, I found it adorable and decided to use that as a username because I couldn't come up with anything more creative.

I also like the name now because it makes it next to impossible to track me down unless I give more background details. If you google "Rapunzel" you get billions of hits on, well, story book things. If you google "username Rapunzel" or many different variants it turns out TONS of people use Rapunzel as their username on the internet! I like my privacy and it helps me maintain the level of privacy I desire according to where I am visiting.
          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
            And I thought it was just a reference to Scottish/Irish heritage...
            But I don't have any! The gf does, however, and I suppose you're right - that may be where I got the "Mc"-part of my username.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
              It took me MONTHS to realize this... Even after reading your signature line it didn't click. I am *so* slow sometimes!
              Can't seem to figure out how to "double quote"...oh wells

I always read "mommax3" as "mom max 3" as well, but I thought it was because you felt "maxed out" at 3

I'm "GreyhoundRUs" because we have two greyhounds...and they pretty much are our babes
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

My hubby actually came up with mine. I had found the site and kept checking it but hadn't joined. I told him I couldn't join because I didn't have a good name so he gave me a name and I no longer had an excuse. It's civil spouse because I am a civil engineer, but I although I do my best to be civil as a spouse, I have my moments.
                Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Originally posted by Jane View Post
                  This is funny. Once you're in the private rooms we'll start another thread.
                  I am looking forward to this thread.
                  I am interested in the families acceptance etc.
                  I will go into it more when we are in private

Comment

And I would like it duly noted that, on this date, I started a thread that:

1. Did not result in any personal attacks;
                    2. Did not result in any disagreements; and
                    3. Was popular.

I think this was a first!!

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post

3. Was popular.

Brandi
                      Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

• I used to use a different name, until we used that name for our daughter. It's very unusual so I don't use it anymore.

BonBon should be very obvious - because all us priveleged doctor's wives ever do is get massages and toss back the bonbons while we order around the hired help. I had also just gotten my chocolatier certification when I chose it, so it fit nicely both ways.

Mommax3, it all makes sense now!!!! And migirl...all this time I thought it was a version of "my girl"

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post

3. Was popular.

Don't worry. There's always next time.
                          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

• Originally posted by JC76 View Post

Are you on FB? I've got tons of pics of my kids up there (of course yours won't look like mine, but it's fun to see the "mixed up kids" -- what my middle child calls himself).

All 3 of my kids look very similar - they're each their own while at the same time they could never deny they're related to each other.

C'mon girl, get posting!

Comment

• Originally posted by Selu View Post
                              These are so great!

In Cherokee mythology, Selu is the Corn Mother. She puts down the roots, provides nourishment, but her magical powers can be threatening. She gets sacrificed a lot, but always forgives.
                              have you read the book?
                              my step mom sent me, selu-seeking the corn mothers wisdom.
                              Last edited by rainbabies; 09-19-2009, 03:19 PM.
                              ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

• i changed mine in the "great name change"

rainbabies is a childrens book.
                                ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Working...
                                X