Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Kindle & PDF's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kindle & PDF's

DH has a ton of reference and study PDF files that he's been reviewing for residency. He'd like the option to be able to take the files on the go and review them when he has down time during lunch. Do any of you have a Kindle and know what the PDF viewing and reviewing capability is like?

DH and I just discussed this the other day. The latest kindle does PDFs pretty well...but it's black+white. For his money, he thinks an iPad is more versitile.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I actually use my kindle for pdfs more than the ipad. Mostly, because you can send them to the kindle by sending an email to your kindle account name (XXX@kindle.com) and they automatically appear. I use it for all our receipts, travel docs, online manuals I want to store at home and any coursework that is sent to me as a pdf. I just forward it to the kindle and the attachment appears in my library as the name of the email.

Ipad will open the pdf in iBooks now. I've used that a few times but haven't noticed a huge improvement over the kindle for pdfs.

JMHO. Also, typing with wet nail polish...so sorry for mistakes!
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Thanks for the insights! I didn't realize it had so many different uses. Do you have the wifi, 3G, or DX Kindle?

DH liked the idea of a kindle over the ipad for his eyes since he stares at a computer screen all day. Looks like I might have figured out his Christmas present.

Comment

Originally posted by radwife View Post
          Thanks for the insights! I didn't realize it had so many different uses. Do you have the wifi, 3G, or DX Kindle?

DH liked the idea of a kindle over the ipad for his eyes since he stares at a computer screen all day. Looks like I might have figured out his Christmas present.
          Depends on what he needs/want. I want something to carry the buttload of books I want to read while traveling. I want it small and to fit in my purse. I want it to be comfortable to read in any situation indoor/bright sunlight and not have fingerprints on my reading screen (and in winter be able to "turn" pages with mittens/gloves on). So, I have a kindle for that. I also carry the IPad mainly for surfing the internet and accessing my Mobile Me Cloud. However, even though I could read my Kindle books on the IPad or IPhone, I go back to the Kindle for serious reading.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I've read on both and I initially liked the iPad better. Now, after a longer period of use, I'm becoming less enamored. It's bulky to hold. Still, the interface is much nicer. I wish I could make the two mate and come up with their perfect love child reading device.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Does the Kindle ever go on sale? Possibly for black friday?

Comment

Yeah, right after I bought mine. When I got mine, it was $300 now they are far cheaper since they have a new one and they have the Nook as competition. Hey, just checked...this one is $139 plus free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y27P3M/...sl_c3c2rm11h_b

Comment

I have a friend who has a Nook and loves it, You could easily turn the pages with mittens on.
                  Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                    I have a friend who has a Nook and loves it, You could easily turn the pages with mittens on.
                    I love my Nook, but the Kindle's are looking pretty sleek these days. As for sales, Nook and Kindle are in a constant price war and prices keep dropping. Just depends on how long you want to wait.
                    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                      The Nook and the Kindle can do this BUT not the IPad.

Comment

I have the new Kindle 3G+Wifi, and I love it. I looked at the IPad, but I really wanted something for reading. The battery lasts for 3 weeks on my Kindle, as long as I have the Wifi turned off. I have an apple green cover for my Kindle, and it looks like a little organizer. It fits great in my purse. I also haven't had problem with pdfs or books. The only thing the Kindle doesn't do that the Nook does is- "checking" out digital books from the library.
                        Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

There are so many good comments on this! I will just add my 2 cents! I have to say I am an Apple fan, and I love how their products work just about perfectly, easily every time. I am a huge fan of the ipad, and find that there are so many diverse uses for it. I would lean towards the iPad because it's just a little bigger than the kindle, in color, touch, and have multiple more uses: so not only can you view your docs in ibook, you reply to important emails, research articles, put together presentations, and of course other personal things like view videos, movies and pictures. It's more complete in that sense to me, that it has more than one function.

But the kindle and the nook are great too. I got my dad a nook and (well my mother pretty much stole it and uses it) but they love the touch part and find it easy to view and use. It's what floats your boat!

Comment

I have an iPad and my friend has a nook and I can "lend" her e-books via the nook app on my iPad. I know that's not totally relevant, but I think it's a neat feature.
                            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I won a Kindle in a raffle (at a conference that I actually won free registration to) and I just got it in the mail and I like it but I don't really know what to do with it. I have managed to download one book but that's about it. Any suggestions? Are there any free books? Yes I am a cheap ass. I usually just go to the public library so paying anything for a book is a little much for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X