Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Kindle & PDF's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't actually used a Nook but I've read in many reviews that the Kindle is best for outdoor reading. The Nook is also more expensive however you are more likely to find free books for it.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I just ordered a kindle. I was using my iPad to read, but the darn thing is heavy to hold up with one hand.

Comment

About to order the new Kindle with the case that has the light! After a discussion with DH, I don't like how the Nook has to be charged often because of the backlight, and I'm worried about the glare. Though he did tell me he could turn the Nook into an Android pad, if I did get it. Nerd.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
          I just ordered a kindle. I was using my iPad to read, but the darn thing is heavy to hold up with one hand.
          Yeah, I don't know how DH reads books on that thing. I mean even the Kindle DX was too big for me.

Comment

I have the wi-fi Nook and it's definitely NOT back-lit. Were you asking about the Nook Color?

I was sold on the Nook when I thought I would borrow all these books for it from the library. It turns out the selection is either limited or the waiting lists are enormous when they do have a book I want. There are still a ton of free books available for it through Project Gutenberg, but don't let the availability of library books for the Nook be your deciding factor. I now wish I'd picked the Kindle, but I got the Nook as a gift so I won't complain.
            Cristina
            IM PGY-2

Comment

LOVE my kindle - I take it everywhere with me and I think I've only charged it once since I got it for Christmas.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by MissCrabette View Post
                I have the wi-fi Nook and it's definitely NOT back-lit. Were you asking about the Nook Color?

I was sold on the Nook when I thought I would borrow all these books for it from the library. It turns out the selection is either limited or the waiting lists are enormous when they do have a book I want. There are still a ton of free books available for it through Project Gutenberg, but don't let the availability of library books for the Nook be your deciding factor. I now wish I'd picked the Kindle, but I got the Nook as a gift so I won't complain.
                Oh, Nook Color. Ok, I thought they were all backlit.

Comment

I have a 2nd Gen Kindle that I love. I've gotten wireless reception on it in places when my cell phone didn't work at all. And I love that it's not backlit. I get headaches reading on backlit screens after a while, but I can read on my Kindle for hours. I carry it everywhere in my purse. It's great to have it to pull out when I'm waiting for a kid to finish up a class or whatever, and I love that I can carry a whole truckload of books around on it, plus shop for a book everywhere.

If I was buying one today, I'd spend the extra $50 and get the 3G version.

Comment

I have a Nook 3G and it isn't backlit, either. The only Nook that is backlit is the Color.

Comment

I an really happy with the kindle so far. Used it a lot this weekend at swim meets and swim practice. It's really easy to use. I don't think I'll go back to reading paperbacks- I know I won't buy a paperback again. But I suppose I will read the paperbacks I haven't gotten to yet!

Anyway very happy with the kindle. I got a normal non- light cover. I will get the light As an accessory if I need it. I don't usually use a book light so I figured having the case with the booklight included would be too much $ for me. And the light drains the kindle battery when it's on.

I haven't found where you can get new release books for free though- I'm sure there's a way but I couldn't find it thru the amazon free book links. But there are so many classics that I have yet to read!
                      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I have a Jetbook - it is similar to Kindle and Nook and can read many types of file formats. The only drawback I have seen so far with it is that it cannot read the files that are made for kindles so the free Kindle books don't work. DH loves putting his texts on it for reference though. LIke the others it is also not backlit...but I think the reason they do that is to reduce eye strain?

Comment

Originally posted by ChristinaMarie View Post
                          I have a Jetbook - it is similar to Kindle and Nook and can read many types of file formats. The only drawback I have seen so far with it is that it cannot read the files that are made for kindles so the free Kindle books don't work. DH loves putting his texts on it for reference though. LIke the others it is also not backlit...but I think the reason they do that is to reduce eye strain?
                          Yes, the jetbook looks like it's e-ink, which is the technology the kindle and sony e-readers and non-color nooks use, which are actual bits of dark ink in a field of matte grey, which in most people causes less eyestrain than reading on a traditional LCD (laptop/tablet/color nook) screen. Because it's actual bits of ink, there's no way to backlight it. One of the sony ones had a built-in light that lit the glass on top of the ink layer, which would be nice for night reading.
                          Sandy
                          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I just got my new Kindle with the case that comes with the light and it is amazing! The light is actually hidden into the case and you just pull it out. I like to read at night in my dark room and was always losing book lights. This is genius for night readers!

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted...8579170&sr=8-3

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
                              I just got my new Kindle with the case that comes with the light and it is amazing! The light is actually hidden into the case and you just pull it out. I like to read at night in my dark room and was always losing book lights. This is genius for night readers!

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted...8579170&sr=8-3
                              S bought me a kindle for my birthday which is in 2.5 weeks (he's a super secret keeper!) and I can't WAIT!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
                                Yes! I like to read a lot too, and I'm not usually ready to stop when DH is ready to turn out the light. It's been perfect for me to read by without disturbing him.

Comment

Working...
                                X