Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

residency pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you! On the residency main page it looks like they go over 4 different countries but the one on the US is the most extensive.
    PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

I don't have much to add, but just thought it was great how many responses this thread has generated, along with ones like it. I think most of our med spouses are only semi-aware of the family finances, but we have to deal with the reality all the time. Compensation during the training years is definitely a subject everyone is quite familiar with and has strong feelings about!

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
        Originally Posted by labmouse
        Residency pay varies from state to state, depending on the cost of living in each state
        No, not depending on the cost of living in each state. It's not standard between hospitals in the same state, let alone in the same city.
        So true.

I skipped a few pages, so sorry if I'm being repetitive, but last year during the ranking process, I looked up the salaries at all the residency programs DH ranked. Northwestern's residency salary is roughly $10k/year higher than University of Chicago's residency. Now, I suppose it could be argued that the COL for the Gold Coast neighborhood (where NU Memorial is located) is higher than the COL on the Southside, but that's kind of splitting hairs... and the COL difference is not $10k/year.

The highest paying program I saw was either NYU or LIJ (averaged over 5 years, a little over $60k). The lowest was University of Chicago (roughly $40k). I think DH got the best deal, though, in this MCOL Midwestern city that's roughly $50k/year PLUS the ability to moonlight. Whew.

I cannot imagine a doctor 4+ years out of medical school making only $35k. That just boggles my corporate sector mind.
        Back in the Midwest with my PGY-2 ortho DH and putting my fashion degree to good use.

Comment

Something to also keep in mind is moonlighting. It can add a LOT to family income. For us, it added $20K last year.

Comment

I also wanted to add that it seems very specialty dependent as well. Sometimes within the SAME hospital, residents in different specialties can make different salaries.
            Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
              Something to also keep in mind is moonlighting. It can add a LOT to family income. For us, it added $20K last year.
              Wow, that's major! If a program allows moonlighting, how soon in their residency can they start? I'm going to have to look into pimping DH out!

Comment

Ooh, great point, MPW. DH's program has a huge pay disparity between their fellows sports medicine fellows and their OB fellows.

Comment

DH's program allows moonlighting after intern year and after the doc can get their state license. He averages two or three 12-hours shifts per month, depending on his schedule. I discourage him from moonlighting during call blocks, but he still does sometimes.

Comment

Each program is different. DH is able to do moonlighting his intern year. He's been in it full swing.

Comment

Each program within a hospital is different as to whether or not they allow moonlighting. Also keep in mind that the new rules mean moonlighting counts against your 80 hours so in heavy hour specialties moonlighting doesn't work. Also when talking salaries fellows are a whole different ball of wax, they are usually not only department but mentor specific depending on how it is set-up.
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Do interns really have time to moonlight? The impression I'm getting is that DH will be at 80 hours with Q3 call during his IM intern year.

Comment

Some programs also having teaching opportunities that provide moonlighting pay (such as ACLS, CPR, other course instructor).
                          -Deb
                          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Mooonlighting during a research year can also be clutch! I have a relative who only moonlighted during his research year, and added a good 60–70K to his salary for that year.
                            I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

DH's specialty has a pretty heavy load and he is still able to moonlight unless he is on a month of night call. I don't ask questions, I just deposit the checks.
                              Last edited by Chrisada; 03-24-2011, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPhDWife View Post
                                Wow, that's major! If a program allows moonlighting, how soon in their residency can they start? I'm going to have to look into pimping DH out!
                                I love this! We always joke that he should strip on the weekends, but I completely forgot about moonlighting! We are going to defiantly have to find out if he can do that!

Comment

Working...
                                X