Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

residency pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just can't believe how much extra you can pull in with moonlighting! You guys just made my day!!!

Comment

If it's allowed. Don't bank on anything. Moonlighting is absolutely forbidden in some programs. The military doesn't allow it and if you're caught, you can get in big trouble. (Even if you're an attending and you're moonlighting it can cause problems in the military)

Don't get too excited yet because there are still a whole lot of unknowns.

J.

Comment

Moonlighting is not allowed at our program.
        Brandi
        Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Yep, it's a big "if". There are a TON of programs that prohibit moonlighting. DH's program actively encourages it since it lowers their costs and provides good learning experiences for the residents.

Comment

...so as a corollary, if moonlighting is really important to you, it's a good thing to look for (or ask about) at interviews.
            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

If your dh is in a surgical program I highly doubt he will be allowed to moonlight.
              Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

What our program calls moonlighting is more like paid "overtime". They get paid extra for every 15 minute block they work past a certain time. It's great because they often work past then, but they really don't have the option of working more if they want. It doesn't apply to every rotation, though.
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Moonlighting is pretty rare in ortho. DH ranked 19 programs, only his first (where he matched) allows moonlighting. He'll be allowed to start moonlighting PGY-2 after [I think] passing the OITE. They pick up extra ortho call shifts at sister hospitals.

Though they only have 10 total in their program, they make it work within the rules because they all like it and want to keep it. Just remember with extra income comes higher taxes and higher IBR loan payments. Also, the rules may get more and more strict in the future. Who knows how much longer moonlighting will be allowed.
                  Back in the Midwest with my PGY-2 ortho DH and putting my fashion degree to good use.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCHoosier View Post
                    Moonlighting is pretty rare in ortho. DH ranked 19 programs, only his first (where he matched) allows moonlighting. He'll be allowed to start moonlighting PGY-2 after [I think] passing the OITE. They pick up extra ortho call shifts at sister hospitals.
                    There really isn't "passing" for the OITE. And the test doesn't matter in terms of moving up in years or graduating from the program. It's just supposed to be practice for taking written boards after they graduate. The programs want their residents to do well [score in the higher percentiles] on the OITE because it supposedly makes their program look good. Here there is a cash prize for the PGY4 who receives the highest OITE score. They are probably talking about passing Step 3.

No moonlighting here. He applied to 34 programs and non of them allowed moonlighting.

Comment

Hmm, no, he's already passed step 3, though that's one of the requirements as well. Maybe it's a licensing thing in Ohio. Basically, he has to have completed a couple things to have some sort of authorization or certification before moonlighting, and most qualify by mid-year PGY-2.
                      My point is: even if you find one of the few programs that allows moonlighting, you might not be able to take advantage of the opportunity right away.
                      Back in the Midwest with my PGY-2 ortho DH and putting my fashion degree to good use.

Comment

Working...
                      X