Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Beat the winter grumpies - love thy neighbor thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool Jenn! I had started to update our family tree as well. One of my great-aunts had started the project, but it ended with my grandparent's generation. Since I have a fairly large family, I wanted to make sure that we got all of the subsequent generations added.
    Kris

Comment

That's so inspiring Jenn! I've wanted to do my paternal grandmother's family tree since she mentioned it to me when I was a child. The "Who Do You Think You Are" team would be amazing to hire too!

My positive for the day is TGIF! Friday! Friday! Friday! I look forward to Friday all work week. It's probably not great that I count the days to Friday every week but what else can one do? The only option is to keep going. I have to remind myself often that it won't be like this forever.
      PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Michele - Some records may have already been translated. There are a ton of associations with searchable websites.

I've been doing a ton of genealogy stuff, too. Discovered a bunch of funky peeps in our tree. Apparently, we are related to SEVERAL Mayflower families, Lord Baltimore, and have some Civil War heroes (complete with statues) in the mix.

I never thought I'd find much because of all the adoptions in the family and that my only known branch of the family to have been here more than a generation or two (and without adoptions) was my great-grandmother. Apparently, her family has been in here since the 1600s, so I found more than I ever imagined.

Comment

@Jenn. Can you send me the info for the WDYTYA genologists? How do they charge?
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Like attorneys do! Complete with retainers! I'll send you the website

If anyone is just beginning, I'd recommend going the ancestry.com route first. They've just released a TON of information to search - they're accessing some pretty interesting and extremely sad documents these days- slave records, Buffalo soldier accounts and most recently an entire set of documents from Nazi Germany that documents the relocation of Eastern European Jews, homosexuals, Catholics, etc. Fascinating to look at and really depressing.

J.

Here's the site: http://www.progenealogists.com/
            Last edited by DCJenn; 01-27-2012, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Oh, wow. I have a membership to Ancestry.com, but didn't realize they had released all those records.

Weird genealogy tidbit -- My grandfather was one of the first US military officers to enter a Polish concentration camp when it was liberated. I don't remember which one, though.

Comment

On the topic of geneology, did I tell you all that I finally made it to my ancestors' cemetary plots in KC? I learned so much! Apparently, there were three sisters (my grandmother's great aunts, one of whom she was apparently named after) that immigrated with my great great grandfather and his brother. They all were among the first Jews in KC when the city was established and they founded a synagogue which is still operating there. I met with various decendents/distant cousins of mine who were also researching their ancestry and filled a lot of holes -- and now have dozens of new questions. Now I need to find time to revisit my research.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I went to the dentist and left A with a friend...and I didn't even cry I was only gone for 50 minutes, but it's the longest I've been apart from her in 3 months!
                  Jen
                  Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Good for you GRU!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Good job, GRU!

Laurie
                      Laurie
                      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                      X