Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Christmas tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
    I grew up with the lopsided tree with colored lights, tinsel and garland with mismatched ornaments. I talked my parents into getting a second tree with only white lights when I was a teenager. We now have a tree with white lights and color coordinated ornaments. Aaaah
    See, to me, "color coordinated ornaments" just completely misses the *point*. All of the ornaments on our tree are ones we accumulated over the years, and they all MEAN something to us.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

In the event that a debate breaks out over Christmas trees I'd like to let you know in advance that you all can always run over to the "Art Therapy" forum. Big news out of the UK and all
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
        See, to me, "color coordinated ornaments" just completely misses the *point*. All of the ornaments on our tree are ones we accumulated over the years, and they all MEAN something to us.
        That is how ours is Sandy and even though we have the largest tree we've ever had we still don't have enough room AND we are missing a box of DH's ornaments. I have a wooden ornament collection that my uncle has made every year for the last 15+ and they didn't even fit on the tree, I think I need another tree!
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Here is ours.

Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
            Well certainly to each their own geez. We don't really collect ornaments. It's just not our thing. Well DH's grandmother gets us an ornament each year for the boys' ages. This year we got a few Alvin and the Chipmunks that the boys chose and a football ornament. I guess your "point" for a Christmas tree may be a little different from mine and that's OK. Don't know how this got quite so serious.
            Last edited by Chrisada; 12-03-2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Well everyone likes it different. We do a collected hodge podge of ornaments & whichever lights we feel like. Some years its white, some its colored.

Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I'm totally doing 2 trees later in life. One "fancy" tree, and one "family" tree. There is something to be said about both, and I think both are beautiful!
                Jen
                Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

LOL! Pollyanna. Lovely tree ides!

See, I seriously need to get a sense of humor, and take a ribbing, and not be so sensitive.

I hadn't really thought about "color lights vs. white lights" before and had no idea people were so passionate about it. I like them both but I love decorating. Though I have to admit I'm prejudice against having ornaments, lights, ribbons and wrapping paper all blue. I'm bias because every Christmas as a child everything was blue and it felt very depressing and not very Christmas like at all. I don't mind if there is blue blended in here and there but not to dominate the theme.
                  PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
                    I'm totally doing 2 trees later in life. One "fancy" tree, and one "family" tree. There is something to be said about both, and I think both are beautiful!
                    Agreed, I'm thinking next year I might get the kids smaller trees for their rooms to hang their ornaments on. They've got quite the collection already and they'll be old enough then not to damage them.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We do two trees. The crappy fake one downstairs is for the kids to decorate in whichever way they want. The one upstairs is always a real tree with the breakable and collectible ornaments. We collect ornaments and get a new family one each year.

Comment

We have two trees. My kids aren't allowed to hang the ugly ones they make (Mom of the Decade!!!) on either of them. Lol.

One is a color coordinated pretty tree. The other one is the Disney tree.
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Haha I intend to have a separate ugly kid ornament tree someday
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Growing up my grandmother never let us decorate a tree. We always has big holiday parties so someone always came in and decorated it for her. Ryan calls me the tree dictator because I am the same except no designer just me. But I don't let him pick or had ornaments.

Hmmm maybe I am the tree dictator. Lol
                            Brandi
                            Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
                              Well certainly to each their own geez. We don't really collect ornaments. It's just not our thing. Well DH's grandmother gets us an ornament each year for the boys' ages. This year we got a few Alvin and the Chipmunks that the boys chose and a football ornament. I guess your "point" for a Christmas tree may be a little different from mine and that's OK. Don't know how this got quite so serious.
                              Agreed. Sorry, what I said obviously came out stronger than I meant it. The "to me" part was the critical part, there. I do totally get that some people's families haven't been collecting ornaments for decades and have connections to them. I fully realize my biases are because of the trees we had when I was growing up.
                              Sandy
                              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Mines fake but ONLY because I'm too poor to buy a real one and I inherited the one I have from my grandma (yay free, boo dead grandma >.<).

B- head deep in the tree trying to get ALL the lights to work and the finished product
                                Attached Files
                                My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return. ~Maya Angelou

Comment

Working...
                                X