Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

One Day Left!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Day Left!!

Tomorrow is match day for urology. I can't believe it's finally almost here! What did you all do to celebrate? I wanted to plan something, but my husband is so nervous that he won't match, he wouldn't let me.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Congrats! We're normal Match, so I'm a wee bit jealous! Good luck!
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I don't understand why all the programs can't match early, but I guess with some of the bigger specialties you really do need more time to interview more students. Most of the places that he interviewed at offered 1-3 possible interview days, so it made scheduling everything a little bit tricky, and he was super stressed out with it all. The worst was the span of 7 interviews in 9 days, and he had to take off November and December from rotations, so he's going to have to work in May, when most of the other students have off.
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Exciting! Good luck!
        Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Don't worry about your dude's lack of excitement over making plans to celebrate post-match. It's totally normal. EVERY med student is worried about not matching and doesn't want to make any kind of plans one way or the other. Maybe have some tentative, open-ended plans in the works for when he finally quits stressing the hell out.

During our last year of residency, the dude's program interviewed 70+ candidates for 8 slots. It takes a while to get through them all and to give everyone an equal opportunity to impress (or not).

No matter how long candidate season lasts, it's always too long. The med students want to know where they're going ASAP (which is totally understandable), and programs want to know who they're getting for the next few years.

Good luck! Crossing my fingers for you guys today.

Comment

Good luck!
            Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Good luck! How exciting!
              Cristina
              IM PGY-2

Comment

Good luck!!! We planned a big dinner at an Irish pub with our two best friend couples to celebrate, because we were just sure we'd be staying. It turned into a mope-fest when we matched somewhere else, so we all headed back to our apartment and ordered pizza.
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Good luck!! The anticipation is killer, isn't it? I don't remember what plans we had, if any, but I do remember going back to work and spending the rest of the day looking at real estate listings for our new area. Not a very productive day, ha ha.

Comment

My husband, who is just the nicest guy in the world, was an unexpected, uncharacteristic total dickhead the day of match. Back then, NSG was an early match, with no pre-match day scramble for the non-matched. It was all extremely tense, given that NSG is such a tough match. My husband did not match at his #1 spot. He DID match at a program that was far better than his #1 match (which he had ranked as #1 only because he already had research collaborators there). He acted like a total jerk. He was completely disconnected; almost despondent. He was really disappointed. It was completely bizarre--people he didn't even know who heard where he'd match were stopping him at school to congratulate him, and he could barely muster a "thanks." The program he matched to had a really malignant reputation (which turned out not to be true) and he was really concerned he'd wash out or just not fit in.

I had planned this big surprise party for him, with about 25 friends. I'd made a big cake. I cancelled the party and threw out the cake, and didn't tell him about either for several years. His response was so out of character, I had no idea what to do.

He was like that for about three weeks. Just a total jerk. Finally, I told him, "Guys out there would cut off their left nut to match where you matched. So, either get on board with this, or decline the match and take a year off for research then match into another field. But don't take this incredible opportunity ungratefully. You were never entitled to match at your first choice. You are being an asshole, petulant child." Or something really, really close to those words.

After that, he decided to stop being a jerk and the rest is history.

Comment

GMW - I think I love you!

Big changes like this are incredibly stressful. I am so grateful to not be living with the ex as he goes through the match this year... Although I am watching the calender closely.
                      Kris

Comment

Good luck - I remember it well, like it was yesterday, even though it was almost 9 (holy crap!) years ago!

Can you throw something quick together for the weekend if he's happy? My DH was also an early match and we had a small get together at our house that weekend with about a dozen close friends.

So exciting!!
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Good luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                            During our last year of residency, the dude's program interviewed 70+ candidates for 8 slots. It takes a while to get through them all and to give everyone an equal opportunity to impress (or not).
                            I think most of the programs in urology interviewed that many people for 2-3 spots!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                              Good luck!!! We planned a big dinner at an Irish pub with our two best friend couples to celebrate, because we were just sure we'd be staying. It turned into a mope-fest when we matched somewhere else, so we all headed back to our apartment and ordered pizza.
                              Our closest friends are in the regular match, so we're kind of on our own. He does have the day off though, and I'll either go in late or work from home. He should get an e-mail at 8am CST.

Comment

Working...
                              X