Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

One Day Left!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*hugs* I was very hormonal on match day too. We matched astonishingly low ( having gone in a bit cocky, overqualified for a less competitive specialty or so it seemed) while our friends surrounded us with their #1 matches. Frankly, we left the building and went to have a good cry together.

But it does work out. The program turned out to be great for DH and we liked the location better than we had expected. Being close to your parents will be huge! And honestly, not buying a house in residency was one of the best financial decisions we made.

Congrats on matching!!! Now you KNOW and can truly start planning, phew!
    Alison

Comment

Congrats on matching!
      Veronica
      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Thanks again everybody - we're doing better now that it's all sunk in and we've tried to think about all of the good things. Sometime in the next few weeks we'll probably head there for the weekend to visit my parents and look around some neighborhoods to see what kind of options we have.
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
          We're not going too far away, just to Louisiana. I don't normally like small town Texas, but my husband went to high school in this town, and it's really not THAT small town, and it's close to several larger ones.
          Sounds like Temple, Texas. FWIW, if that's the town, be GLAD you did not match at Scott & White. The town IS that small, and it is not nearly close enough to Austin or Dallas to provide a sufficient escape. DH is from there, and fled as fast as he could. I got married there because we got married in the town where DH's folks were living at the time.

It is a really small town, in all the bad ways and none of the good ways that a town can be small.

Comment

I was wondering if it was Temple too. I just don't do small town Texas
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Congrats! It's a big deal...and trust me, matching high is not necessarily best.

My DH got his 1st choice, hated it and decided to change specialties 3 months in...it just goes to show. He's much happier now in a new specialty at a program he never considered for his first specialty!

Comment

If you're interested, Urology Match has a google doc going of all the residents and their matches as well as anonymously listing the Step 1 scores and whether people did an away where they matched or not. This year was really competitive, congrats again to your DH and YOU who could not have done this without your support.
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Congratulations on matching into urology! Let it sink in, talk to us, let it all hang out.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                    Sounds like Temple, Texas. FWIW, if that's the town, be GLAD you did not match at Scott & White. The town IS that small, and it is not nearly close enough to Austin or Dallas to provide a sufficient escape. DH is from there, and fled as fast as he could. I got married there because we got married in the town where DH's folks were living at the time.

It is a really small town, in all the bad ways and none of the good ways that a town can be small.
                    Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                    I was wondering if it was Temple too. I just don't do small town Texas
                    I know it seems crazy, but we were hoping to match in Temple. We both went to Baylor, and his parents live nearby. We knew it wasn't an exciting town, but he loved the program. Either way, the more we think about it, the happier we are that he matched at all, and that he's going to get really good training.
                    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                      If you're interested, Urology Match has a google doc going of all the residents and their matches as well as anonymously listing the Step 1 scores and whether people did an away where they matched or not. This year was really competitive, congrats again to your DH and YOU who could not have done this without your support.
                      We're well acquainted with the spreadsheet and have been watching it all day! Although I don't remember seeing the away part.

We went out to dinner to celebrate, and my mom helped me find some houses in a decent part of town in our budget, so we're feeling a lot better this evening!

Comment

Well if you have family and history in the area, then I get it. We would be thrilled to match in OKC even though I know it would feel like a death sentence for many people.

I had forgotten you were from Texas altogether! You should stop by DFW on your way to Louisiana...if you matched in NOLA, I might be bugging you next year for insight!
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I know it seems crazy, but we were hoping to match in Temple. We both went to Baylor, and his parents live nearby. We knew it wasn't an exciting town, but he loved the program. Either way, the more we think about it, the happier we are that he matched at all, and that he's going to get really good training.
                          To be clear about this (because I've already received communications from folks who are looking at Scott & White and wanted me to elaborate on Temple): I did not mean to insult Scott & White, as a hospital or a residency. My FIL worked there for many years, and I've had a lot of friends go here. It is a very solid hospital and residency program for most specialities it offers, from what I understand. My remarks were about the city. And, as a lot of people on this site know, my perspective on Temple is probably darkly colored by my extremely strained relationship with my inlaws, who lived there for many years. Personally, I would not want to live in Temple, but I did not mean to suggest anything negative about S&W.

You mentioned that you are matched in Louisiana. If you matched at LSU-Shreveport and want to know anything about the town, let me know. A good portion of my family resides there. It sounds like you already know your new hometown, where that is, pretty well though!

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                            Well if you have family and history in the area, then I get it. We would be thrilled to match in OKC even though I know it would feel like a death sentence for many people.

I had forgotten you were from Texas altogether! You should stop by DFW on your way to Louisiana...if you matched in NOLA, I might be bugging you next year for insight!
                            Well, DFW is a little out of our way to Louisiana - we're in Houston now. But definitely let me know if you're looking to head to NOLA, because we should be well settled by next year!

Comment

Well, DFW is a little out of our way to Louisiana - we're in Houston now. But definitely let me know if you're looking to head to NOLA, because we should be well settled by next year!
                              Don't bother, she's coming to NC!!!!
                              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                                Don't bother, she's coming to NC!!!!
                                Her butt is firmly planted in DFW. Her hubby can leave but she and Stinkerbelle stay.
                                Veronica
                                Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Working...
                                X