Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

One Day Left!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, DFW is a little out of our way to Louisiana - we're in Houston now. But definitely let me know if you're looking to head to NOLA, because we should be well settled by next year!
    I smell a meetup! My in laws live in Houston, we go there all the time. Also, while NOLA isn't exactly at the top of our "places we want to match" list, there are three!?!? radiology programs there and we are planning to focus on the midwest and south, so it's a distinct possibility. I plan to tag along with the hubby for any interviews he gets there because I love visiting New Orleans!

Random note...are you guys looking to live in the city or on the North shore? I've been getting ahead of myself and started to looking up cost of living/types of places we would live in different places. NOLA was ridiculous and looked scary in a lot of the cheaper areas. Then I ran into someone at a mom's night out who had just moved from there and asked, "So where do you live in New Orleans with kids?" She said, "You don't. You live on the north shore and commute." So I'm interested to hear about what you guys find and where you choose to live!

Don't bother, she's coming to NC!!!!
    Also on the list. 3 rads programs there, I think? Maryland and south is where we will be looking on the east coast. Again, assuming we have the luxury to cut out west coast and east coast programs. On my imaginary list, NC falls right after TX and OK I was looking up rental houses in your area and came upon one that I think was down the street from you. I'm surprised at how reasonable the housing prices seem there!

Her butt is firmly planted in DFW. Her hubby can leave but she and Stinkerbelle stay.
    Man I hope this is true!

Finally, anyone know of a spreadsheet for Rads similar to the Uro one mentioned that DH and I can obsess over?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
      Also on the list. 3 rads programs there, I think? Maryland and south is where we will be looking on the east coast. Again, assuming we have the luxury to cut out west coast and east coast programs. On my imaginary list, NC falls right after TX and OK I was looking up rental houses in your area and came upon one that I think was down the street from you. I'm surprised at how reasonable the housing prices seem there!

Finally, anyone know of a spreadsheet for Rads similar to the Uro one mentioned that DH and I can obsess over?
      NC does have very reasonable prices in my opinion. Especially since you don't need to worry too much about high school school districts. Our area has fine elementary schools but starts to get more difficult in the later grades.

I would imagine NC has at least 3 if not more rads programs. And btw, you have a standing offer to stay with us if he comes to interview. Oh, and BTW, from Maryland South and all the way East to Tx was our interview program too. It worked out great for us since lots of people in those places want to "escape" to the north and the volume/training in many of these places is excellent. DH sat through several interviews where people tried to sell him on the smaller cities rather than SF, NYC, and Boston and he had to stop them and be like, "Um, I have NO desire to go to any of those places. We want to be here!!" No knock on those places, they just aren't for us.

Try studentdoctor under Rads. If you do that for Uro, you're quickly directed to the more specific site for Uro but many specialties seem to just use studentdoctor. It also has program reviews - useless for Uro as the world is too small (only ~80 programs in the country) but for larger specialties (and I think Rads is), it seemed useful.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Hey, I'm late to the parade, but congrats on matching! Enjoy the next month or so of knowing while everyone else stresses.
        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
          Random note...are you guys looking to live in the city or on the North shore? I've been getting ahead of myself and started to looking up cost of living/types of places we would live in different places. NOLA was ridiculous and looked scary in a lot of the cheaper areas. Then I ran into someone at a mom's night out who had just moved from there and asked, "So where do you live in New Orleans with kids?" She said, "You don't. You live on the north shore and commute." So I'm interested to hear about what you guys find and where you choose to live!
          We're going to live on the south shore. I actually grew up on the north shore (Mandeville/Madisonville), and while I prefer it for living, it's not a fun commute, and not really an option for a surgical resident, I don't think. I've talked to my mom a lot about this since yesterday morning, because the reason we lived on the north shore is because she didn't think it was an option either when we first moved there (my sister and I were 8, my brother was 5). However, I think she'd change her mind now. I'm hoping to live in Metairie, although we're going to look at some options in New Orleans (Lakeview area) and maybe Kenner or Harahan. If you want to do public schools, then you should definitely consider the north shore, but there are some really good, affordable private schools (mostly Catholic) in New Orleans that are just as good, if not better, than the schools on the north shore. As it turns out, I only went to public school for a few years before my parents decided to send us to private school anyway, although my brother did switch back to public school in high school. Obviously we don't have kids yet and at this rate won't have to worry about school for the next 5 years, but we are at least hoping to have a baby or two while we're there.
          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
            I'm hoping to live in Metairie, although we're going to look at some options in New Orleans (Lakeview area) and maybe Kenner or Harahan. If you want to do public schools, then you should definitely consider the north shore, but there are some really good, affordable private schools (mostly Catholic) in New Orleans that are just as good, if not better, than the schools on the north shore. As it turns out, I only went to public school for a few years before my parents decided to send us to private school anyway, although my brother did switch back to public school in high school. Obviously we don't have kids yet and at this rate won't have to worry about school for the next 5 years, but we are at least hoping to have a baby or two while we're there.
            We have really good friends who moved here from Metairie. They liked it (until Hurricane Katrina flooded their house and they lost almost everything). Her family is still there so they visit every year. I think they still own the lot their house was on (it had to be torn down).
            Veronica
            Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Neat. The woman did say getting a quality Catholic education (this was Catholic Moms night out) was very easy and cheap
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
              X