Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Privacy as the Doctor's Wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about having to awkwardly correct them that I am his *ex* wife? Happens at least weekly. His patients are also my clients.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

My doc is a partner in DH's clinic. She's a really great doc and I'm not ashamed to admit that she only accepted us as patients because we're DH's family (her practice is full and closed). Even if I were worried about any kind of privacy issues, she and her support staff are exceptionally professional and on the ball.

Honestly, I'm more weirded out by DH's patients who corner me and want to talk about wildly inappropriate shit that I want nothing to do with. Like the hairstylist who went through the salon appointment book to find my cell number so she could text me pics and discuss her miscarriage. Or a stylist in another salon who was telling me all about her husband's erectile dysfunction in less than clinical terms. I am not friends with these people. Literally, only ever been a client. Weirdos.

Comment

The only awkwardness I had was at the fertility doc and finding out DH and the doc took some classes together — then talked about school while doc was examining me. But that was just as much DH's fault as the doctor's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
          I once had my feet in stirrups and heard, "Are you DrK's wife? "

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
          Well we chat about everything since they used to live across the street!!! My family practice doc sits next to me in SS. ( It is either him or my best homeschooling friend's husband.) And yes all of the church members think that I already know about all of their procedures. There was a guy on the praise band that didn't make it to church once and assumed I knew because my husband had operated on him. It is just life in a small town. I've also learned that everyone is related to someone else I know.

Comment

No awkwardness here. Everyone is very professional and careful to focus on only patient issues. At dh's training institute they'd ask him his opinion if he was in the room and we both hated that.
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

OMG Mrs K. "Yep. That's alllllllllll his."
              -Ladybug

Comment

Fortunately we have always been in big enough towns that I can use practitioners not related in any way to my husband. I'm freakishly strict about NOT mixing any business and personal relationships. Not just in medicine, all areas. I think you need to be able to have hard, impartial conversations with people. The only exception to this if is something major needed taken care of and someone we had a personal relationship with was the best. Even then, I would have to tell them up front that personal relationship aside, it is more important to hard, real conversations. This would probably upset that person, but I have a hard time not letting people crossing boundaries so I try to clearly delineate them from the get go. I do realize that I'm freakishly vigilant about this however.
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                  At dh's training institute they'd ask him his opinion if he was in the room and we both hated that.
                  I saw a MFM once who completely faced DH and explained everything to him, like I was barely even there. He was a nice guy and he meant well, but it was super annoying. I might not have gone to med school, but it's still my body we're talking about.

Comment

I had a family med doc once when DH was in med school who talked to me solely in medical jargon and highly technical terms until I finally had to stop her and remind her that *I* wasn't the one in med school and had no idea WTF she just said.

Comment

My new PCP hardly broke script when I told her dh is in residency. She didn't give a fuhhckk

Comment

Working...
                      X