Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

puppy talk :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I know that everyone's heart gets lost to that ball of fluff. She's adorable. Eight weeks is totally fine, seven is now considered too young but eight and older is pretty much your discretion about whether you trust yourself or the breeder to socialize them as you'd like. You might consider seeing if you know anyone with a calm, dog-polite adult to play with her regularly, I hear that is the best way to give them perfectly timed feedback on whether their biting is getting too rough. And also enroll in a good puppy kindergarten ASAP, don't wait for all her shots. But not one in a big box store, look for a APDT trainer. https://apdt.com/trainer-search/

I think the sire of the litter I'm considering is in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpHgHhdebPo <-- warning, insane poodle puppy cuteness.
    Last edited by spotty_dog; 04-02-2015, 01:42 PM.
    Alison

Comment

What a cutie!
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

So, how are preparations coming for your new fluff baby?

I think I am down to two possibilities. One is a miniature Poodle that hasn't even been bred yet. One of the grandparents is a European "medium" poodle, and the sire is also from European import lines, which avoids the inbreeding health concerns I had about poodles and also gives puppy a chance to be on the bigger side for a mini (I'm hoping for 15-17".) They're about 3 hours away, which is not close but it's close enough to visit once or twice before puppy comes home. The puppy would be ready in the fall, which gives us a summer without puppy-related obligations.

The other is a miniature Australian shepherd. He's ready NOW. He's already about 3.5 months old, so he'll be fully vaccinated by May I presume. He'll grow up to about 17-18" hopefully and about 35-40 pounds. He's only about an hour away. He's from fully health tested parents and well-raised. He's also cheaper than any of the other pups I've considered! Unfortunately I am really torn about the politics of the MAS breed. And OMG we could have a puppy in a week or so?! So scary! But maybe the time will never be right, and I should just take the plunge? I had turned away from Australian shepherds because of their protectiveness and their shedding, but MAS are bred more for pets and have less of that guardian instinct, and if I'm willing to brush a poodle twice weekly and bathe him every other week, then I should surely be up for grooming an undercoated dog regularly to keep his shedding down, right?
        Last edited by spotty_dog; 04-09-2015, 06:27 PM.
        Alison

Comment

We've been talking of getting a dog for 2 yrs now. I've done research, narrowed down possibilities and spoke to a breeder an hour away. After making plans to take the kids to visit, I'm getting cold feet. We've also been talking about starting to travel with the kids in the next couple of years and I'm not sure how to fit the dog into that plan. I'm afraid of losing the ability to go to NY for a weekend or leave the house for more than a day. Is getting a dog the right decision for us?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Expect a puppy to be almost the trouble of another kid, but instead of 10 years of childhood and 8 years of adolescence, it's more like 6-12 months and another year or two, then a protracted 8-10 years of having a dependent who just needs his routine and otherwise runs on autopilot. That said, if you raise your dog well he need not hinder you. Pet sitters and doggy day cares and boarding kennels are options (that we don't necessarily have with human kids!) We took our dog with us, or had someone housesit and petsit, or boarded her and had a cat sitter come in daily.
            Alison

Comment

Puppies are EXACTLY like having another baby. When they're a little older, you can kennel them, though. We go out of town all the time and our dogs love going to the kennel.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
                We've been talking of getting a dog for 2 yrs now. I've done research, narrowed down possibilities and spoke to a breeder an hour away. After making plans to take the kids to visit, I'm getting cold feet. We've also been talking about starting to travel with the kids in the next couple of years and I'm not sure how to fit the dog into that plan. I'm afraid of losing the ability to go to NY for a weekend or leave the house for more than a day. Is getting a dog the right decision for us?

We felt this way too. It's a big commitment but it worked out. The dogs are really great friends to my kids-- and my dh loves having SOMEONE swag the tail when he comes home lol.

It's a lot of upfront work but you are able to still have independence after a bit. We kennel at night, they stay out in the yard a lot, and I go and come home throughout the day without problem. They sleep like 18 hours a day. Seriously. Maybe mine are just lazy but they do go on walks, runs, and play hard in between sleeping sessions!!

I would go with medium sized at least bc imho they are easier to board and to send to doggy daycare. There are awesome doggy daycares and boarding facilities where dogs play all day (like a dog park) but they are monitored too. At a dog park its owners who are monitoring, and that doesn't always go well. At doggie daycare they actually are more like "animal behaviorists". They test each dog to see how socially fit they are, and if your dog qualifies it's a great option. I think if you spend time socializing a puppy and get them in puppy classes before they are 4 months even, then you'd really be fine.

It's a hard jump, but if you see yourself having a dog ever (if that's part of your "dream" for your family) then I'd stick with that vs logistics of "holy crap we will never go anywhere ever again!!!!!" Because details of where to put the dog when you do human only stuff work themselves out.

Seriously, though, my dogs LOVE doggie daycare and the pack-style doggie boarding. It's like summer camp. I remember as a kid the worst part of going on a trip was dropping off my dog to the kennel where we had to drag him in and leave him crying.
                Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Have you thought about getting a slightly older dog? We got our dog a couple weeks befote DH started school. She's 7 and *wonderful*. She's passed out on my chest right now. We actually used to pet sit for her for a couple years (coworker of mine would go out of town and not want to take their dogs). That same coworker had a baby, is downsizing, and moving out of state, so she decided to re-home our now dog.
                  She is very loving and we didn't have to go through the puppy phase! DH also likes someone's tail wagging when he gets home (hah) and we both like having a buddy here when the other is gone. Only problem is that now we're hooked on Westie's and want a billion more...and they cost about a billion dollars.

Comment

DH is against an older dog. I wasn't able to find a medium sized dog that met all my criteria. I really don't want to deal with shedding, washing and brushing. I like the breeder I spoke with and if the size is the only downside, I'd rather have have a smart and fuss free large dog.

It's not even that we travel a lot, so I don't know why I'm freaking out. We don't have to decide for certain until we visit in May. I'm hoping all my fears will subside once I meet the puppies.

Comment

Could you share this miracle breed? I don't think I know a dog that doesn't shed but also doesn't need washed and brushed. Poodle-type coats need LOTS of brushing (especially some of the hybrid types) and even hairless breeds are pretty reliant on their baths. (And every dog with toenails will need those trimmed.)

I do think that meeting puppies soothes a lot of worries! Probably why I'm freaking out about the long-distance puppy I've just gotten the opportunity to go for. I watched him grow up in videos and photos, and his breeder is to DIE for. (Not just my judgment, but the judgment of the amazing network of highly reputable breeders who are supporting her.) I had previously decided that his breed was not for us, but then we started changing that again, right as he became unexpectedly available (and he is the most people-loving member of his litter, just right for our family.) Aahhh! He would come out here in TWO weeks, I don't think I can handle that!
                      Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                        Could you share this miracle breed? I don't think I know a dog that doesn't shed but also doesn't need washed and brushed. Poodle-type coats need LOTS of brushing (especially some of the hybrid types) and even hairless breeds are pretty reliant on their baths. (And every dog with toenails will need those trimmed.)

I do think that meeting puppies soothes a lot of worries! Probably why I'm freaking out about the long-distance puppy I've just gotten the opportunity to go for. I watched him grow up in videos and photos, and his breeder is to DIE for. (Not just my judgment, but the judgment of the amazing network of highly reputable breeders who are supporting her.) I had previously decided that his breed was not for us, but then we started changing that again, right as he became unexpectedly available (and he is the most people-loving member of his litter, just right for our family.) Aahhh! He would come out here in TWO weeks, I don't think I can handle that!
                        Eep! Our newest baby arrives in two weeks too. We have a few last minute things to get, but kids go back to school post-break tomorrow so I'll have some time to focus again.
                        -Ladybug

Comment

It's Rhodesian Ridgeback. My floors are already so scratched up that I doubt I'll even notice more nail scratches.

I need to order the books you recommended

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
                            It's Rhodesian Ridgeback. My floors are already so scratched up that I doubt I'll even notice more nail scratches.

I need to order the books you recommended

Omg. Love those! My neighbors from growing up have always had them, and my DH obsessed. But I don't think we will ever be able to get one living in the city. They are seriously good escape artists, and it just scares me too much. But they are so beautiful and athletic. If we ever move to the burbs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

puppy talk

Our dogs don't shed and don't need to be brushed. They need baths more often than we manage but I can get the waterless shampoo stuff and comb them out which helps. It's unusual for a Labradoodle to have such a low maintenance coat but we lucked out. Our Airedale terrier is low maintenance too, but when i comb him out I usually get 2 brushfuls of loose hair. We don't trim nails either-- their walks on the sidewalks take care of keeping them ground down in between grooming
                              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Do you shave your Doodle? (That sounds so funny, LOL.) And you mention grooming, I assume you get your terrier stripped or clipped too?

I always felt like Mieke had remarkably little doggy odor, and I never bathed her unless she rolled in something (which she didn't have the energy to escape the yard and go do for the last couple of years.) But recently, I went around with my nose to the rugs and discovered that all the spots where she liked to lie had a certain eau de dog, even 3.5 months after she passed. So my next dog will probably be bathed a bit more often regardless of coat. I also didn't start trimming her nails regularly until she slowed down during those last couple of years. But I've seen infographics around about how too-long nails can affect the joints, so it's something to keep an eye on at least. Especially if your dog still has dew claws, those don't get worn down.

But as for Ridgebacks, they keep coming up on all the lists of breeds for long distance jogging because they're so easy going with great endurance. And what a comforting guardian presence! I bet those puppies will be fun to meet, good luck.
                                Alison

Comment

Working...
                                X