Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

puppy talk :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
    Eep! Our newest baby arrives in two weeks too. We have a few last minute things to get, but kids go back to school post-break tomorrow so I'll have some time to focus again.
    You've been preparing for Tempy for a while and everybody's looking forward to her, I'm sure it'll be a smooth transition. But for us...we can't meet him before committing to him, he'd come home just three weeks before we leave town again, the kids' soccer practice is on the same evenings as the puppy kindergarten I want to do, and all of that on top of the fact that DH is super reluctant to even get a dog at all...basically, I've driven myself into something like a panic attack over this. I'm going to decline, even though he's amazing. Ugh.
    Alison

Comment

Honestly, it sounds like you should decline. The planets will align for your family. Temp's arrival is timed perfectly with my summer break. I have new pictures of her I'll put up when I'm on my computer
      -Ladybug

Comment

I did decline, it was tough to do but I feel relieved so I know it was the right choice. Can't wait to see pics of your sweet girl in her forever home!!!

I still haven't 100% ruled out the other "OMG ready right now" puppy, but he's older and we can meet him before we commit, so I am not freaking out over him. The right dog will come along.
        Alison

Comment

Her face is elongating and she's changing so quickly. In typical dawker fashion DH just texted me that he forgot he's on call the day we are scheduled to pick her up. I refuse to change the date. The kids have been counting down the days. The girls can hold her on towels in the back seat of the minivan. This also means I get to do the puppy's first night away from home by myself. Why do these things still surprise me?
          -Ladybug

Comment

Soooo cute!!
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

DH is working on switching his call. I refused to change plans. We'll see...
              -Ladybug

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                Do you shave your Doodle? (That sounds so funny, LOL.) And you mention grooming, I assume you get your terrier stripped or clipped too?

I always felt like Mieke had remarkably little doggy odor, and I never bathed her unless she rolled in something (which she didn't have the energy to escape the yard and go do for the last couple of years.) But recently, I went around with my nose to the rugs and discovered that all the spots where she liked to lie had a certain eau de dog, even 3.5 months after she passed. So my next dog will probably be bathed a bit more often regardless of coat. I also didn't start trimming her nails regularly until she slowed down during those last couple of years. But I've seen infographics around about how too-long nails can affect the joints, so it's something to keep an eye on at least. Especially if your dog still has dew claws, those don't get worn down.

But as for Ridgebacks, they keep coming up on all the lists of breeds for long distance jogging because they're so easy going with great endurance. And what a comforting guardian presence! I bet those puppies will be fun to meet, good luck.
                We haven't shaved her really. They cut her quite short one time which was nice. We really lucked out on her coat though. Doodles can have terrible matting. We groom the big guy about 2 times a year. He gets a pretty short cut, but not quite a shave. Last time the groomer remembers to keep his beard! Yay!!! Not much of an Airedale without the beard lol.

We got rid of our dog bed and our eau de dog has decreased a ton. They like to lie down on the tile anyway. The dog bed was just stinking up the place!!!
                Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Fingers crossed.

I'm starting to get the actual puppy fever. Up until now I've swung between just being weirded out by not having a dog, and being freaked out at the thought of having a puppy and all the work it entails. Now though...I am really ready for a fuzzy wuzzums and some puppy breath. I blame Tempy!
                  Alison

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
                    We got rid of our dog bed and our eau de dog has decreased a ton. They like to lie down on the tile anyway. The dog bed was just stinking up the place!!!
                    Somewhere along the line I read the advice "Your dog is only as clean as what he lies on!" Washing dog beds (or elminating if you can) always helps a ton.
                    Alison

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
                      DH is working on switching his call. I refused to change plans. We'll see...
                      There's not a ton to do with the dog the first night. We put them into their crates (bc we decided to crate train) and just kind of slept close enough to comfort/reassure during the night as needed. Puppy #1 was a little stressed and whimpered, but puppy #2 had no issues at all. She's a party girl though and always up for new adventures. The older dog is more reserved and cautious.

We let them out to pee several times the first week or so then stretched the time alone.

You'll do great-- it will be ok!!
                      Peggy

Comment

How do you decide to crate or not to crate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know a whole lot about dogs, but we decided to crate train because we wanted to ensure she'd be safe all day when we're gone. I also didn't want to do deal with poop/pee surprises when coming home.
                          We trained her in a day. We just say "crate" and she runs in there and we give her a treat. Sometimes she crawls in there to nap even if we're home. My favorite is when she uses her crate as "base" when she and DH play tag.

Comment

We crate train so that I know where they are at night. They like their crates. When they were puppies the crates helped a ton to train them. During the day they don't go in the crate. Bc we have nice weather and shaded areas, I leave them outside in the yard when I'm gone in the day. I just crate them at night but when we lived in CA and couldn't leave them in the yard I put them in the kitchen during the day when I went out- I just didn't want them roaming the house. I can't imagine having a puppy and not crate training.
                            Peggy

Comment

Shoot shoot shoot. I was poking around, seeing what's out there and who might be advertising their breeding plans for fall...and I stumbled on another puppy who's ready to go. But this one has not one single red flag. She is absolutely perfect for us. I. am. dying. She's less than 2 hours away. Is it too soon? It might not be too soon! I just don't know!

I am actually excited enough about her that it's time to really talk with DH but I'm scared he'll think I'm pressuring him into something he doesn't want to do. I'm such a nutcase to be roiled into a knot over *talking* to the person I'm *married* to. Sigh.
                              Alison

Comment

Are you going to talk this weekend? Eep!

I was telling DH that Tempy is...it. She's our "childhood" dog. If she lives the standard 12 years our youngest child will be 17 years old and leaving home. She's coming into the most sacred years of our family's memories. She's the dog that everyone will have lived with before we start breaking up.

One more week!!!
                                -Ladybug

Comment

Working...
                                X