Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

puppy talk :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So typical for pups to want to be with you all the time at this stage. Are you going to tether her to you while you do your stuff? She'll do great-- if she whimpers in the crate just soothe her after a bit but try not to think of it as a punishment to be in the crate. My dogs love their crates and that is really their only "room". Traveling without crates is super trying!! And getting a freaked out adult dog in a crate for airplane travel (if you ever need it) is traumatic for those who aren't crate trained. Often the airlines won't let them fly. (But this may not be an issue with you.)
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Our guys luuuurve their crate. All good things happen in the crate. .
      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Not to be pushy....but we're gonna need some more pics ASAP

All of our dogs have loved their crates....except our latest addition. As in he can break out of an airline approved crate faster than you can make it out of the house. Im sure Tempy will become accustomed to her crate but don't worry if she doesn't , there are other work arounds.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Yes. Pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
            Not to be pushy....but we're gonna need some more pics ASAP

All of our dogs have loved their crates....except our latest addition. As in he can break out of an airline approved crate faster than you can make it out of the house. Im sure Tempy will become accustomed to her crate but don't worry if she doesn't , there are other work arounds.
            Ah the escape artist. Lol. Our Labradoodle is such an airhead that she doesn't even know how to walk out of her hate when it's unmatched unless we open it wide and she can see the way. Our Airedale is a brainiac in comparison and can open his own door (when it's unmatched- he can pull it open) and walk in there to put himself to bed lol.
            Peggy

Comment

Mieke ate her way out of her airline crate the first time I left her too long without acclimating her properly. Fortunately she never got out of her wire crate, but she ate the bottom tray out of it three times (usually because I had her in there to eat her dinner and then forgot about her for 15-30 minutes.) I have wished so many times for a dog who enjoys their crate and can be confined QUIETLY for a while! So I'm bound and determined to do crate training Right next time. I'm even thinking of picking up the Crate Games DVD.
              Alison

Comment

Our shepherd loved his crate. It was his den. When he was a puppy though, he'd still get distressed if he was in his crate and couldn't see me. Eventually, his crate became his haven, though.

Angie
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                  Our shepherd loved his crate. It was his den. When he was a puppy though, he'd still get distressed if he was in his crate and couldn't see me. Eventually, his crate became his haven, though.

Angie
                  I think that may be a shepherd thing. Ours was ok as long as he always knew where his people were...he also did "perimeter checks" to make sure all were accounted.

Yes, pics pls!
                  Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

So every time I try to take a picture of her she pounces on the camera and tries to chew the lens off. It's hopeless. She's left sweet puppyville for crazy, hyper, I"ll-chew-anything-that-doesn't-move-faster-than-meville. Today she fell into the frog pond and freaked out. i just washed her in the kitchen sink..

She is sleeping through the night in her crate. DD11 tried to take the crate to her room and she cried until she was back in our room. Perfectly quiet. All the kids keep asking how she knows I'm the mom and always follows me around. I told them I'm a loving alpha female.
                    -Ladybug

Comment

How DO they know? We tried to bond our last puppy to my 10 year old daughter. Nope. He wanted me. I don't mind being the alpha female, but how do they know it so clearly?
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

It's made me question everything I every thought I projected onto my kids. It's suddenly very clear who wears the pants in the family…
                        -Ladybug

Comment

Sleeping puppy pictures also accepted
                          Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

puppy talk

My puppies were the same way. They still listen to me and follow me better than the other family members, but my big guy adores dh, and my Labradoodle adores the kids. The special relationships with the kids (and each relationship is totally different) develops more slowly-- and maybe not fully until the pup is entering adulthood.

For instance-- big guy will flop over for a tummy rub for ds10, bc he knows he'll get one. He will sit on ds13s foot bc he knows ds13 will scratch behind his ears. He will look longingly at dh when he eats, bc he knows dh will give him food. He will look at me intently to let me know he needs fresh water or wants his check-up. And he will avoid dd6 bc she's a bit too playful, unless he's feeling playful. He has a special way with dd13 and dd19, but it's super interesting how unique each relationship is.

Our Labradoodle will wab her tail so hard when the kids come home from school. It's hilarious. She will jump up and hug and lick ds10, she will get dd6 to play chase, or something like that. She will sit for the older kids bc they have been trained to not pet her unless she sits, etc. super unique, but the kid relationships took much longer to develop. You have a ton to look forward to!!

As far as biting, I can't recommend enough the method by the Sirius dog training (it's available online--guides for puppy biting). We followed that with our big guy bc he was a terrible biter. He was the worst. It took months and months of training to get him to have soft jaws. Dh and I were bloody!!! (It involves almost exclusive hand-feeding and only releasing food when the dog gives you soft bites.). Anyway, totally paid off. He's fabulous with the vet and everyone. Will not bite a human.

ETA:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/do...Your_Puppy.pdf
                            Peggy

Comment

Yes! It's so vitally important that you teach them HOW to use their mouths before you finish teaching them NOT to use their mouths!
                              Alison

Comment

Ladybug just something to show the unique experience-- my dd6 enjoys playing hullabaloo with the dogs lol. Sometimes they try to carry off a piece, but they are pretty good with "leave it". lol.

Good times.
                                Peggy

Comment

Working...
                                X