Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Interesting bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting bit

So, yesterday DW gets an email about looking for volunteers, in Pediatrics, to live on the USS Something-or-other for three months with the Navy, starting end of April (approximately). Then she gets another email from the Pediatric assignment officer that states Travis & Eglin (our base) have overages of Pediatricians. Just for the record, Eglin, is the most deployed base in the AF system to date. This second email states that there is an availablity of five at Eglin (they have 6 total peds), they need two on this mission. BTW, the ship is going to Afghanistan and DW is the lowest ranking officer. So, if there are no volunteers and it comes down to making people go, it will most likely come down to three in DW office. One doc is a Maj, he is an "old boys" kind of guy, and could most likely get out of it as that tends to be his way. The other doc, is a very good friend of DW, she is trying to get pregnant again, and they are having difficulty (long story) anyway it appears that things aren't in our favor. IF this doc gets chosen, DW will volunteer to take her place....DW is not going to volunteer to go, only if the other doc gets selected. I am not sure what would happen if they both get chosen.
    What a change a day can make.

Wow-

Would it be humanitarian stuff or what? If it were only for 3 months I'd volunteer and get it over with. that way it'll be in her favor should they decide to redeploy people- say to Iraq.

Jenn

Comment

Holy Warships, batman.
      I really will root for you guys on this one. Maybe one of the other officers is looking to get away from home for awhile?
      That's big of your wife to offer to go instead of the other woman. I hope it all works out in your favor, though.
      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
      Let's go Mets!

Comment

Wow. Let us know what happens.

Just to clarify -- her base has 6 peds and they said 5 are overage?

Comment

Yikes. I hope this ends up to be nothing. It is a huge favor for your wife to volunteer if the other woman gets picked.
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Matt,

I, too, hope this ends up to be nothing.....but if it hangs out there for too long and looks like it might really happen, I might be of the same mind as Jenn, if more deployments/missions seem imminent. If she volunteers and then it gets cancelled, she will still get *some* good will for having volunteered.

Just to clarify -- her base has 6 peds and they said 5 are overage?
            The above is the rule and not the exception in the military. The higher-ups have very little idea of what is *actually* going on. Remember when I posted that the military's OWN facility directory had services listed at Sheppard that hadn't been offered there for five years?????

There are many, many reasons why I am negative on military medicine,(unless you sub-specialize) but the above is a biggie. The guys who could make decisions that would positively affect many, many people (docs AND patients) do not make it their business to be informed about *real* conditions. They are briefed by someone who is working on their next rank who hands them a chart saying they could save money if they did X at a certain base/post, and they rubber stamp it and on they go. Often times things like what Matt is talking about *do* fall through at the last minute, but it is rarely for a common sense reason.

2 years, 7 months, 11 days was it, Matt? I will hope hard for you guys that this goes away.

Sally
            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

My fingers and toes are crossed for you guys Matt. That is so kind of your dw to be willing to volunteer in the other woman's place -- you guys are good peeps!

Comment

Oh...MATT....

I hope that this just blows over....

kris
                ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Good grief.

I'm pulling for a positive outcome.
                  Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Matt,

I hope nothing comes of the notice.

Comment

Oh, boy....

Good luck!

:thud:
                      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                      With fingernails that shine like justice
                      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Wow, Matt. I missed this post earlier. Have you learned anything more? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your family.

Comment

Well, we learned a little bit more....not that it will matter much, as whatever happens will happen and we can't control any of it.
                          She isn't going to be staying on the SS Minnow, as I thought. It will be the USNS Mercy...here is a link http://www.mercy.navy.mil/
                          It would be for ABOUT three months, if she were to go, they would be protected by a cruiser and a battleship.
                          Other than that, that's it. Don't know if we would even hear anything about anyone volunteering to do it, probably just hear about it if she has to go. Gotta love being kept in the dark.

One good thing about it, my MIL has volunteered to come stay with me and the boys for the three months, should DW have to go.

Comment

Originally posted by gmdcblack
                            One good thing about it, my MIL has volunteered to come stay with me and the boys for the three months, should DW have to go.
                            Oh dear God! How much must one man sacrifice for his country???

Comment

Originally posted by jesher
                              Originally posted by gmdcblack
                              Oh dear God! How much must one man sacrifice for his country???

Matt....I'm crossing my fingers and ... toes for you that mil won't be necessary! When will she find out about this?

kris
                              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                              X