Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

MDFamily News

Collapse

The international Medical Spouse Network is the leading online community for the spouses of medical students, residents and attending physicians.

•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bargain Hunters Guide to Christmas Shopping by Kristen Math

It's only March 1st, and I’m almost done with next year’s Christmas shopping. I have sweaters for my husband, and a new Christmas serving set for my mom. Hidden away in my treasures are shirts for my dad and step-mom and a beautiful leather-bound Texas Hold’em poker chips set for my brother. I have already picked up some games and books for the children. I even have many stocking stuffers tucked away for St. Nick .It’s almost embarrassing that I’m such a penny pincher. Getting through...
    See more | Go to post

• And Now a Word From ... the Dawkter's Wife by Jennifer Hussey

And Now a Word From ... the Dawkter's Wife by Jennifer Hussey

The scene: It’s Valentine’s Day. You look around, and once again your spouse is gone. Your choice: Feel sorry for yourself and wallow in your misery or take the opportunity to tell yourself that you deserve to celebrate yourself. Here are a few suggestions for giving yourself the Valentine’s Day you deserve. One of the first things that the commercials remind you about for Valentine’s Day is jewelry: Diamonds, pearls, precious stones, gold, silver, platinum. Sure you deserv...
    See more | Go to post

• Tackling the Time Crunch: Will the 80 Hour Work Week Do It? by Angela DeBernardo

80 hours a week. That leaves only 88 hours to live the rest of your life. Sleep – now that’s a big hit. 7 hours a night for 7 days a week? 49 hours just sleeping?? Now we’re down to 39 hours. Ouch. Maybe we can eliminate some of that. Personal hygiene: 1 hour x 7days= 7 hours. 32 hours left. 4 hours commuting time each week. 28 hours. How much of it should be spent reading? How much with the family? Forget physiology. These are the equations that are talked about in residency programs today....
    See more | Go to post

• How to be Happy when you are a Cog in the Wheel by Angela DeBernardo

I’ve been trying to figure out the whole Santa thing. He’s always described as such a happy guy. The twinkling eyes! All those toys! The shaking belly laugh! Do you really buy that? I mean this guy lives in the North Pole, right? And it’s Christmas all the time for him. I don’t think that would leave most people cheerful. After all, there doesn’t seem to be much in the winter season to inspire glee. The trees are barren, the sun is gone by late afternoon and everyone is stressed-out, overscheduled...
    See more | Go to post

• Starting Over by Angela DeBernardo

It seemed like things were finally settling down for my little family. My husband had completed his nomadic years of medical training, gotten a good job and moved us all to a cute little village on the outskirts of an interesting city. After a predictable initial adjustment to the new area and new job, everyone in the family had made connections and found things to enjoy. I felt a deep satisfaction at a job well done as I retrieved the mail and found a birthday party invitation for each of my two...
    See more | Go to post

• Hurry Up and Hurry Up by Kristen Math

I’ve been told that I talk faster than most people can listen. It’s even been suggested that my cartoon ‘alter ego’ is the Tasmanian Devil. Like Taz, I can be almost frenzied in my activity when I am ‘crazy busy’…a state I put myself in on a regular basis. Honestly, this flurry of activity has always felt quite comfortable to me. I enjoy the hectic pace. My energy level has served me well through years of my husband’s residency training, raising small children and g...
    See more | Go to post

• Plan B by Angela DeBernardo

Plan B by Angela DeBernardo

I remember the exact moment that I abandoned the show “ER”. In the episode, a family came through the hospital after experiencing a terrible car accident. Mom and Dad were dead on arrival. The whole show, their two newly orphaned children sat in an exam room. They were unharmed but in shock. The older boy and his sister, dressed up for a holiday dinner, clung to each other and asked quietly over and over to see their Mom or Dad. Eventually, Nurse Hathaway gently told them that an aunt was coming...
    See more | Go to post

• Digging Out: Getting Out of Credit Card Debt by Angela DeBernardo

In the winter, when you hear the term “digging out” you think of large snowfalls and sore shoulders. Every January, a different kind of digging out begins in households across the nation – digging out of the hole you got into with Christmas spending. For medical residents, that hole can be enormous. With educational debt already high and your time and earning potential limited, consumer debt can seem insurmountable.

How’d We Get In This Mess In The First Place? First of al...
    See more | Go to post

• Planning for the Match: Learning to Expect the Unexpected by Kristen Math

There’s an old German saying that goes like this: “Berg und Tal kommen nicht zusammen, aber die Leute”. This translates roughly to “Mountains and Valleys don’t come together, but people do”
    See more | Go to post

• Medical Billing by Angela DeBernardo

Recently, MDFamily had the opportunity to sit down (virtually, of course!) with Suzanne Quijano. Suzanne has worked as a medical biller out of her home for the last several years during her husband’s medical training. She graciously agreed to share some job tips.

How did you get in to medical billing? My neighbor had been doing billing for about a year from her home before I decided to try it. I had been doing home daycare, along with marketing and news monitoring out of my house...
    See more | Go to post
There are no articles in this category.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.

article_tags

Collapse

There are no tags yet.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• And Now a Word From ... the Dawkter's Wife by Jennifer Hussey
    by DCJenn
    The scene: It’s Valentine’s Day. You look around, and once again your spouse is gone. Your choice: Feel sorry for yourself and wallow in your misery or take the opportunity to tell yourself that you deserve to celebrate yourself. Here are a few suggestions for giving yourself the Valentine’s Day you deserve. One of the first things that the commercials remind you about for Valentine’s Day is jewelry: Diamonds, pearls, precious stones, gold, silver, platinum. Sure you deserv...
    01-12-2011, 08:05 AM
  • The Five Rules of Bargain Shopping
    by PrincessFiona
    The Five Rules of Bargain Shopping

By Julie Muchnick

Never pay full price! The majority of retailers, especially large chains, rotate their merchandise several times a season. Each holiday brings on a new wave of sales. So remember when you find yourself absolutely loving an item from the new collection, chances are it will be on sale in a few months or even weeks. The key to this rule is to check your favorite stores often enoug...
    11-12-2010, 03:27 PM
  • BaHumBug! When Call Schedules Interfere with Family Celebrations by Kristen Math
    by PrincessFiona
    The snow is gently falling outside of the frosted windows. The Christmas music is playing softly in the background and you are sitting by the rolling fire drinking hot chocolate and making homemade quilts for your closest friends….or so the commercials go. Back here on planet earth, the rest of us are busily trying to prepare for another stressful season of holiday parties, gift giving and ‘call’. Instead of enjoying the festivities, each year many people succumb to feelings of depression...
    02-23-2010, 04:31 PM
  • Hurry Up and Hurry Up by Kristen Math
    by PrincessFiona
    I’ve been told that I talk faster than most people can listen. It’s even been suggested that my cartoon ‘alter ego’ is the Tasmanian Devil. Like Taz, I can be almost frenzied in my activity when I am ‘crazy busy’…a state I put myself in on a regular basis. Honestly, this flurry of activity has always felt quite comfortable to me. I enjoy the hectic pace. My energy level has served me well through years of my husband’s residency training, raising small children and g...
    02-23-2010, 03:58 PM
  • Surviving Residency by Kristen Math
    by PrincessFiona
    As we prepare for my husband to finish residency and move on to fellowship, I am trying to soak up every last memory that I can.? I find myself wanting to memorize the landscape. I relish the conversations with friends and have bought more in the last two weeks (when I am trying to get rid of stuff to move) than I have in three years. Saying goodbye to friends leaves me choking back unexpected tears. Nostalgia is winning. What a paradox, when you consider how miserable I was my first year her...
    02-23-2010, 03:55 PM
  • When School Hurts: Coping with Playground Bullies by Kristen Math
    by PrincessFiona
    I heard the muffled sobs ascending up the stairs. The kids had been home from school for a half an hour and after eating a snack they had all gone their separate ways to color, play outside or read. I put down the laundry basket that I was carrying and walked down into the dining room. My ten year old son was sitting with his back to me. His shoulders heaved up and down; his face was buried in his hands. Within a few minutes, the story came spilling out. Children in his class had picked on him throughout...
    02-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Working...
X