Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

This is a test thread for moderation features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read about the reduced privileges. It isn't set up. We have that option. Basically, you set a threshold and then name a consequence. It makes it happen. So far, there isn't anything linked to that. I'm not sure we'd ever get that far unless this forum grew to a much larger size and we needed to automate. Or we had a troll invasion. You can link it to things like forum access, posting, etc.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Yes, click on the name and "view profile" - looks like both infractions are still listed; it just says what thread it's in, and links to the message. Now if you hard delete that same message, it'll be interesting to see if it goes away.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
        I read about the reduced privileges. It isn't set up. We have that option. Basically, you set a threshold and then name a consequence. It makes it happen. So far, there isn't anything linked to that. I'm not sure we'd ever get that far unless this forum grew to a much larger size and we needed to automate. Or we had a troll invasion. You can link it to things like forum access, posting, etc.
        That makes sense.

I'm assuming then that infractions disappear completely once they reach their expiration; that would mean it's only kindof a snapshot of the past week or two, and not an indication of any history. Which I can see being both good and bad, I guess.
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

But you could set the infractions to expire on some ridiculously far off date in the future, no?

Does everyone see infractions or do only mods and admins see them?
          Cristina
          IM PGY-2

Comment

If you go to View Infractions in the admin panel sidebar under User Infractions, you get a tally of the different types of infractions. Some of those go back a year ( spam). I guess it does keep a log for the site overall - and the details of those events are available if you want to see them by clicking on it.

I also wonder if the tally on the profile and just keeps counting or if it is only "active" infractions.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

@Miss Crabette -- I think everyone does because spotty dog saw the tickets on my Test User posts. I don't think she's a mod.
              Angie

Comment

I'm getting a tad confused. I will reread everything and will get it.

I just want to make sure that there is a place somewhere on the site or even for Admin eyes only that shows how many infractions a user has ever received. This would help in the future prevent the he said-she said stuff.
                Last edited by moonlight; 08-15-2012, 08:18 PM.
                Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Gosh, it sounds like I'm nitpicking. Do we want this level of transparency? Should all members be able to see infractions or should this be reserved for mods and admins? Can regular members see the reason for an infraction? I guess this ties in with the bullying thread. Should a user be reprimanded in public?
                  Cristina
                  IM PGY-2

Comment

Correct, I am no flavor of mod. I can see the tickets and click to see what the infraction was and who imposed it. I can't see any tabs on the profile relating to this.

I vote for very few, very clear rules. I think it's good that everyone should see that there's a yellow card on the field and why -- "Don't Be A Jerk" rule is a popular one on another board I visit -- and that the yellow cards should expire. Blocked from posting in the thread with the offensive post until the expiration date seems like it would be a good consequence, and it would be kind of nice if it were automatic by the system so that the mods make only the minimum judgment calls and don't get accused of playing favorites.

As Rapunzel points out, people change and it's tough to get a handle on the way tone is perceived on the internet; how online communities function; the fact that there are real human beings behind the screen. I think everybody deserves some security that they themselves won't be treated with jerkiness, but also some security that if they have some bad days that they will get third, fourth, even fifth chances before anything permanent occurs.
                    Alison

Comment

Alison, how do I like your post? Well said.

I really like the idea of the offending poster not being able to post in the particular thread for a while until he/she cools off a bit. I wonder if there's also a way to ensure that the argument isn't taken to PMs
                      Cristina
                      IM PGY-2

Comment

Originally posted by MissCrabette View Post
                        Alison, how do I like your post? Well said.

I really like the idea of the offending poster not being able to post in the particular thread for a while until he/she cools off a bit. I wonder if there's also a way to ensure that the argument isn't taken to PMs
                        Just don't click her two little cards!
                        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Not the cards, anything but the cards!
                          Alison

Comment

Very well said Alison. I know it seems a bit harsh that everyone see who is 'in trouble' but I think that is the norm on other online communities. It helps the person understand they went too far and it helps the rest of the community understand what won't be tolerated and that there are repercussions without the public fall out. I also love the idea that the offender is blocked from the thread they were causing problems in. if that is even possible. Yay! Thanks everyone for helping this get worked out. I knew there had to be some sort of solution.
                            Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                            "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Originally posted by moonlight View Post
                              Very well said Alison. I know it seems a bit harsh that everyone see who is 'in trouble' but I think that is the norm on other online communities. It helps the person understand they went too far and it helps the rest of the community understand what won't be tolerated and that there are repercussions without the public fall out. I also love the idea that the offender is blocked from the thread they were causing problems in. if that is even possible. Yay! Thanks everyone for helping this get worked out. I knew there had to be some sort of solution.
                              Would it be a temporary "time-out" period or a full "you're blocked from this thread" kind of thing? I like the mandatory cool-down period a little better, but maybe that is just personal preference?
                              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

We'd have to test it out but it seems to be more of a " time out" than a lasting block. It can be as short as 1 hour or measured in weeks. We set it.
                                Angie

Comment

Working...
                                X