Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Eating out with a toddler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating out with a toddler

I'm about to throw in the towel, and just assume not take dd ou to eat until she's 10.

Do you have any advice for an almos 15-month old?

Also--why does it seem like there are no good toys out there for dd's age?

Grrr.

I also saw the lady with the "tiger baby" comment when I was at the same Starbucks that we saw her at last time. Not a great day.
    married to an anesthesia attending

How come I can't type today?
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

no advice, just hugs.
      -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
      Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
      Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Our kids were in restaurants from day one. It takes time for them to get the hang of it, but they will. The more you do it, the easier it eventually becomes.

Kids that age have difficulty waiting for ANYTHING. We had the best luck taking small toys/book/snacks with us when we went out. Truly, though -- the snacks were what helped most.
        Last edited by diggitydot; 11-28-2010, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Yes, the more you do it the the better it gets!!!!!
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

We powered through. We always went early OR at bedtime and kept him in the stroller while he slept. For a while there it was touch and go but we'd order him things we knew he'd eat (french fries, cheese, pierogis, pasta, etc and let him have at it.) Of course, we never went to white table cloth places at that age but we went out at least once a week. In his entire life I've only had to remove him from a restaurant once and it was at about age two and a half. All I have to do now is threaten it and he straightens up. We were complimented on Thanksgiving for his nice manners and behavior. (to which, as we were walking out the door of the restaurant, he asked, "why were they saying those things? I'm not a DOG.")

Jenn

Comment

We would always bring some snacks for her to eat while we waited. Now that she's at the age where we can order her something off the kid's menu, we order right away when we get there so she can have something to nibble on while we wait and take our time. When she was a bit younger, I would hold her until her food got there so she wasn't sick of the highchair by the time the food came. Also bringing books or toys can be a lifesaver!
              -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

I agree, the more you do it - the better they will get at it!
                Hang in there... I agree with Zoe, bring some snacks for her to keep her occupied while you're waiting for the food to come
                I am not sure about the toy thing, but maybe you can bring some soft covered books for her to play with while you're there too?
                Good luck!

Comment

TexMex restaurants with chips & salsa already on the table are our saving grace. Oh, and it helps to order yourself a giant margarita.
                  Veronica
                  Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Books, toys, play-doh (which I *hate* letting them do at home bc of the mess!). We try to order right away so there's not too much waiting. Small snacks (dried fruit, etc).

I agree, it takes a lot of practice. We go out usually once a week, our kids are pretty good by now.
                    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Snack food is KEY. Cheerios, those Gerber puffs, goldfish, mini pretzels, raisins, etc. You can make a baggie of Cheerios last a super long time. There are also books that are toddler friendly that have you play with Cheerios.

Jenn

Comment

A is finally at the age where I don't feel like I have to entertain her constantly but R is definitely in the short attention span theatre stage. Snacks are key for us too. As soon as we sit down I put some in front of him and I also order their food as soon as the waitress stops to take our drink orders. We're having to eat very quickly with R right now because when he's done, he's done but we ate out several times with the IL's this weekend and they both did pretty well.

Toys are hard but good toys or good books that they only get when we're out has also worked for us. Stickers are good for A but I'm not sure if M would be old enough for them.
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Snacks. Snacks and more snacks.

Does she color? I bring washable crayons or color wonder stuff with us, but mine are older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

We try to go at 4:00 and order immediately. We asked to be seated away from other tables. (Instead of smoking and nonsmoking they need kids and nonkid sections).

I am also fortunate enough to be in a place that we can afford a sitter if we need to do something super fancy pants.

I totally agree with bringing a small toy bag. I'm pretty forgiving with the toddler, but I put the hammer down for the older kids. After they get a certain age, poor restaurant behavior brings out evil mommy.
                            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

What Kelly said re: going early and sitting far away from others. And double what everyone else said about SNACKY food. Lots of snacky food. I don't permit my kids to take toys out in public, but if there is something that would work, I'd try it. Eating out with kids that age is just so miserable.

Oh, yeah...and I generally tip VERY WELL and I try to "clean up" as best I can after my baby...she can drop food and make "smears."

Comment

Working...
                              X